Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Re: All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

Did a little double feature last night. Started off with A Time to Kill and followed up with Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid. Good stuff/pure entertainment.

I wish they would make more quality stuff like that nowadays.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

A Time To Kill is probably Grisham's best book and best adaptation of one of his books. I still read his books for their guilty-pleasure quality--they're fun page-turners--but A Time To Kill I thought was a genuinely good book in its own right.

Butch/Sundance is one of my all-time favorites. If I'm channel-surfing and run across it, I have to watch it.

If you have TCM, they're running their 31 Days Of Oscar where they're showing Oscar-winning movies. I love to go there this time of year and just see what's on--it's usually good stuff.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 02-02-2018 at 08:41 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I just got done watching season 1 Stranger Things on Netflix via Firestick.

It is just that... pretty good though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Season 2 is even better if you haven't already found that out.

I'm halfway through Absentia on Amazon Prime. I highly recommend it. Terrific crime mystery.

Absentia centers on an FBI agent who disappears without a trace while hunting a serial killer. There will likely be more seasons to come as the first leaves you wanting more.

PSA: You can get 60 days of Sundance Now for free, via Groupon:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/sundance-now-1
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    PSA: You can get 60 days of Sundance Now for free, via Groupon:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/sundance-now-1
    Thanks. I'll see if I can pull that up on my TV. There's a new ESPN app on there. I'm watching Ali vs. Frazier (Thrilla in Manilla) right now. It's free.

It has live action stuff as well.

Lucky Logan is now available on Amazon Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    Lucky Logan is now available on Amazon Prime.
    Thanks for the info--I really want to see this one.

Sneaky Pete season 2 will debut on March 8th I think, then Bosch season 4 on April 13.

Jessica Jones March 8th on Netflix.

I'm watching Bull Durham right now. Man I wish the Reds could be a contender at least once more before I die!

Has anyone seen Dunkirk? I went to IMDb to read some reviews and there were a lot of one-star ratings out of ten. Oddly enough the overall rating was 8.0 but I've read that IMDb sometimes will manipulate that number.

^I saw Dunkirk when it came out last summer and thought it was amazing. Tells the story of the rescue from several points of view: soldiers on the beach, civilians coming to the rescue, pilots in the air, etc. An extremely well-made movie that puts you right in the middle of the action from the beginning and doesn't really let up until the end. Kind of reminds me of "Gravity" in that way. I haven't seen a lot of the other nominees for Best Picture but I definitely think this was one was worthy of a nomination.

If you're looking for a WWII/Dunkirk timeframe double feature you can do this one and then watch "Darkest Hour" with Gary Oldman as Churchill. Another very good movie that covers the same time period roughly, but told in a different style and covers the political side not covered in "Dunkirk."

BTW, Mrs. BEvans and I are going to London in May and one of the places I'm most excited about seeing is the Churchill War Rooms, the underground bunker and office complex they used during WWII.

Has anyone seen Dunkirk? I went to IMDb to read some reviews and there were a lot of one-star ratings out of ten. Oddly enough the overall rating was 8.0 but I've read that IMDb sometimes will manipulate that number.
    We were at the beach and the whole family saw it. I enjoyed it, but probably not as much as BEvans did. To me, it was a solid level below movies like Saving Private Ryan, Patton, etc. But definitely worth it. It was more fun to me being at the beach, somehow. Plus it was one of those weird great coincidences where the entire family wanted to see the whole movie!

^Thanks, Brian. I'll give it a shot.

Just watched Dunkirk and it was great but fairly brutal. I got the UHD version and it's the best usage of that I've seen yet. Very crisp but not overdone. I also watched Kingsmen: The Golden Circle. If you liked the first one you'll love this one. Pure fun.

All Things Video Thread (Movie or TV)

Anybody watching McMafia on AMC?

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    Anybody watching McMafia on AMC?

No but I saw the commercials for it and it looked interesting. Have you seen it--what do you think?

Amazon's Sneaky Pete season 2 starts Friday. After the first season's success they're bumping it up to 4K resolution. Good show. IMDb gives it an 8.2 rating.

The second season of Marvel's Jessica Jones starts tomorrow on Netflix.

Enjoying "Knightfall" currently.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    No but I saw the commercials for it and it looked interesting. Have you seen it--what do you think?
    Pretty good, its Russian mafia stuff. First episode kind of introduced you to the characters. Second episode set up the plot and got the ball rolling. We’ll see what three brings, gonna be some twisty turning stuff.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Amazon's Sneaky Pete season 2 turned out well but Netflix's Jessica Jones...not so much...too dark, scattered plot, I didn't finish it. I may go back and watch the last episode but IMO not anywhere near as good as the first season.

Question: Would you rather watch something new even though a brief description of it doesn't really grab you or, watch something you've seen many times before and loved.

Watching DS9. Not sure how many times I've seen it, but a bunch. Not new, but that's OK.

haven't watched Discovery. Have my doubts, but also don't get the CBS whatever service.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I'm waiting for The Wrath of Khan to come out in 4K. It was the best of that group.

How desperate am I for something to just have on while I work?

I'm watching Benny Hill. Sadly I have them all. Not a huge fan but it's good background stuff and the girls are pretty.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    How desperate am I for something to just have on while I work?

I'm watching Benny Hill. Sadly I have them all. Not a huge fan but it's good background stuff and the girls are pretty.
    I loved watching Benny Hill with my dad when it was on. Did you record it when it was on or did you purchase it some how? Monty Python was hilarious but they didn't save the episodes (got destroyed somehow).

Here's the top rated movies as voted on by IMDb members.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Thoughts?

I loved watching Benny Hill with my dad when it was on. Did you record it when it was on or did you purchase it some how? Monty Python was hilarious but they didn't save the episodes (got destroyed somehow).
    They're out there on the net. maybe not all but a whole load of them.

I like Monty Python a whole lot more, but don't have Flying Circus handy. I've watched all of those many times. I know most Monty Python by heart, but I do need to watch again b/c it's been a while. Would be fun.

Here's the top rated movies as voted on by IMDb members.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Thoughts?
    My first thought is I'm surprised by just how few movies I've seen. The ones I have seen on that list, I have enjoyed and thought very good, but the vast majority of the shows I have not seen.

The next thought I had was my relative inability to judge between most of the shows. Those are all terrific. Then I focused on the number ratings, and saw that many of them had very close numerical averages. That makes sense to me.

I didn't see any movies on the list that I thought were unworthy. Other than missing my brand of humor movies that I could watch over and over (Blues Brothers, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Blazing Saddles, etc.) and sports movies I have a weakness for (Bull Durham, Hoosiers, Field of Dreams, etc.), it's a great list.

I love 12 Angry Men but I wouldn't rate it as one of the top 5 movies ever made. And any rating system that has Casablanca #36...well, as the kids say, I can't even.

Here's an article on why IMDB should scrap its rating system:

https://screenrant.com/imdb-ratings-...ser-score-bad/

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    They're out there on the net. maybe not all but a whole load of them.

I like Monty Python a whole lot more, but don't have Flying Circus handy. I've watched all of those many times. I know most Monty Python by heart, but I do need to watch again b/c it's been a while. Would be fun.
    Mr. Bean is another in that genre. There's very little dialogue but his thought process in how he accomplishes his tasks is hilarious. For instance, he drives to a park to have a personal picnic while a car thief attempts to break in and steal his car only to find out the steering wheel is missing. Bean had put it in his picnic basket.