Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: National League Wild Card Standings

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    At this stage of the season, everyone has hitting in the playoffs. It's pitching that separates the haves from the have nots. The Reds held serve on the mound very well with Votto's bat gone from the line up midsaeason. Arroyo has faltered a bit. Cueto has been strong all year. Chapman is strong in the pen.
    Do they have enough pitching? I don't think so. For the record, the Redbirds don't either :/
    I thought you guys had at least one decent closer and one decent set-up guy, but I think your pen is pretty suspect on the whole. You guys have excellent and experienced starters and a murderer's row lineup, even with your many injuries, crap, y'all just slot in another guy who hits plus .320, LOL. I have been puzzled by your overall inconsistency BECAUSE of the long list of great pitchers and hitters on this year's team (yeah, I know losing Albert has been no picnic, but still) and that is what I was sorta getting at about the Cards.

The Reds look anemic hitting right now and with RISP, dreadful, but all teams go through some of that and I am waiting for them to get back on track. No easy answers there.

The pitching is, IMO, among the best in the majors overall, BUT I am worried about Dusty's "loyalty" tendencies. Latos and Bailey have EASILY been the best starters for over a month, yet he already has Cueto and Arroyo slotted in for Games 1 and 2, which will be AWAY games. Latos, in particular, is a significantly better pitcher, all year long, outside of Cincinnati.

Cueto slumped, worried us, and has looked about 80% of his dominant self over the last 14 innings or so, I would say, but his stuff is NOT what it was in July and earlier. We are still waiting to see if he can get back to where he was soon. Chapman is a crazy force of nature. Hell, even HE didn't know his rocket arm needed rest until he imploded one night against the bottom of HOUSTON'S order.

He is still coming back a little, but the Reds rarely get the credit for the DEPTH of their pitching, with solid to very good middle relief, extremely good set-up guys (and plenty of 'em), and even Broxton did quite well as a closer while Chapman rested.

Nope. I have to disagree with ya a little here. I think SOME teams have hitting, meaning SOME teams have hotter bats than others. The postseason, for the Reds, will be about maintaining that stellar D, deep pinch-hitting bench, effective starter's innings, and the pen with the Cuban Missile. IMO, it's a pretty good recipe, but you can't win if you don't score. THAT is what I want to see more of out of the Reds.

Can the Cards limit their mistakes while keeping their lineup stocked? Can their pen help them when a starter gets in trouble or tired early? I really don't know. What do you think?

One thing that helped the Cardinals last season, and WC teams in general is that they don't really get to coast. The Braves were still chasing Till they've run out of games. Cincy has lost focus once they knew they'd win the division. Just my .02.

I have faith in the Cardinals bats, but little faith in the pitching staff. Most playoff games aren't slugfests, pitching is too good and I don't think we win those battles. I like StL against the Reds and the Braves. Not so much against the Nationals or the Giants.

The Cards had better win tonight, because Homer No Hit Bailey is slated to start tomorrow. Of course if the Dodgers lose one it won't matter.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Cat, among the Reds' starters, only Leake has a sub-.500 record at 8-9. The other four are a combined 57-33. It compares pretty favorably to the Card's top 4 of Lohse, Lynn, Wainwright, and Westbrook at 61-34.

The Cardinals would only get one shot against the Braves, a big difference in playing them for a series. I think that scenario favors the Braves. I like the Reds against the Braves and the Giants but not the Nats.
    Last edited by Catfan73; 10-02-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
    LOL, hey sorry dude... I had been told by a friend, late last night, that the Dodgers LOST and that the Cards had the spot, so I was proceeding with that incorrect info. Good luck!

P.S. are you still ticked that the Big Red Machine made Tommy LaSorda cry himself to sleep every night? Just curious.
    Was that the Reds, or the late night Pasta?? LOL
    "It's a mere moment in a man's life between an All-Star Game and an Old-Timers Game." - Vin Scully

The giants have held the Cardinals to 22 runs in 6 games. They worry me. Our record against the Braves is 1-5. Silly losses this season to them too, only 8 runs separate the Braves and Cardinals over the 6 games they have played this season. I agree, one game, on the road. Tough way to go, but I like our chances.

Not to throw a wrench at you or your Redbirds, but here's two words...

Kris Medlen.

Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
    Not to throw a wrench at you or your Redbirds, but here's two words...

Kris Medlen.
    He will start for them, no doubt. One Achilles for him, 1 in every 4 earned runs is a dinger. While he doesn't give up many runs, he's susceptible to Molina or Beltran taking it yard on him.
    Not sure StL has the pitching to keep them bottled up.

Redbirds up 1-0 in the 2nd.

Still 1-0 headed to 4.

Rolen (traitor lol) homers. 1-1 going to the bottom of the 4th

Cincy gets 2 in their half of the 6th, 3-1.

Dodgers down 2-1 in the top of the 3rd. SF has gone long twice
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

3-1 Reds headed to the 9th.

And this one belongs to the Reds......crap :/

Reds and Nationals go to the last game of the regular season to see who gets the best record in baseball. If they both end up 98-64 the Nats hold the tiebreaker. If the Dodgers win tonight, tomorrow will be really interesting.

Giants up on Dodgers 4-1 in the 5th.

Unforgettable

But we got another good game from Carp.

Would be interesting if there was a tie for the tie, so we would have a playoff to see who got in the playoff. But hope it doesn't happen. Need Dodgers to lose tonigh

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    And this one belongs to the Reds......crap :/

My boys literally gave this one away in the 8th. Reed hits a double, and gets thrown out trying to stretch it to a triple. Victorino follows him with a triple, which would have been the tying run. DAMMIT!!!!! Lose 4-3 and we are done for the playoffs.
    "It's a mere moment in a man's life between an All-Star Game and an Old-Timers Game." - Vin Scully

I had a 75% chance of it going my way...:/ Hate it for your Dodgers, but happy my Redbirds will have a chance to defend ths Series title.

Lohse will be taking the mound for the Redbirds.

Unforgettable

The Braves will be hyped to keep Chipper in the playoffs for as long as possible. Tough on the road, one game, chipper goes home in retirement or extends his time. I like our hitting better than theirs although it hasn't been all that great lately, but Ilike Lohse also in a big game.
    Braves 3-2 unfortunately

I don't like the one game playoff, personally.

Heck, Houston or Kansas City could slip up and beat a good team once.

Throw everything out the window, anything can happen..........

The Nationals are leading the Phillies 3-1 in the top of the 8th, so tonight's Reds-Cards game is likely meaningless. If the Nats hold on, they would get the Cards if they get past the Braves, and the Reds would get the Giants.

Washington won, 5-1.
    Last edited by Catfan73; 10-03-2012 at 03:36 PM.

[QUOTE=Lfbj00;14323]My boys literally gave this one away in the 8th. Reed hits a double, and gets thrown out trying to stretch it to a triple. Victorino follows him with a triple, which would have been the tying run. DAMMIT!!!!! Lose 4-3 and we are done for the playoffs/QUOTE]

Sucked but I wore my Dodgers hat today out of respect
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Cards and reds going to the 4th 0-0.

0-0 going to the bottom of the 8th.

[QUOTE=blueboss;14570]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lfbj00 View Post
    My boys literally gave this one away in the 8th. Reed hits a double, and gets thrown out trying to stretch it to a triple. Victorino follows him with a triple, which would have been the tying run. DAMMIT!!!!! Lose 4-3 and we are done for the playoffs/QUOTE]

Sucked but I wore my Dodgers hat today out of respect

Although I'm a long time Cardinal fan, Sandy Koufax was one of my all time favorites (except when he faced the Cards, of course).

That dude was absolutely wicked on the mound.

1-0 Redbirds heading to the 9th.

1-0 win for StL. 88-74 for the season. Bring on the Braves!