Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Teeth and Technology

Had a visit with the dentist yesterday. It just struck me how amazing technology has become wallow is there.

We moved to Mobile, Alabama when I was 12 years old. I had never had a cavity open to that point. Visited the dentist, and suddenly I had something like 8 cavities, all of which he filled.

Have never had a cavity since then. Perhaps not-so-coincidentally, we later learned that the dentist lost his license to practice dentistry after we moved away.

So yesterday we were dealing with one of the old silver fillings that was still in my mouth. I needed a crown on that tooth. So they do some x-rays while I sit in the chair with some portable x-ray machine they just swivel over to my cheek. Then they take some device that looks sort of like a combination between a laser pointer and an electric engraver, stick it in my mouth and go over the area where the tooth is, together with the area above the tooth. The dentist told me that the device was sort of like a digital relief map producing device that told the computer exactly how to create the crown. If any of you have ever had a crown before like I have, they used to put this yucky plaster mold thing stuck way in your mouth that they would pull out that created the impression. This laser pointer/relief map creator replaced that.

Then the next thing is that they create the crown while-you-wait. I have been used to having a temporary crown, and then come back for the permanent crown after it was created a couple weeks later. Instead, I continued to sit in the chair, we picked out the proper shade, while it was being created. I could get up and walk around, use the restroom if I needed, and then the hygienist came in and did a gum assessment. My appointment yesterday was a last-minute appointment – I did not have any pain, but I knew that I needed a crown yesterday when I could feel the feeling with my tongue on the side – so I did not get a teeth cleaning, but usually you can go ahead and get your teeth cleaned during that time as well.

They returned with the permanent crown, it was slightly tight when they first inserted it, so they made a slight adjustment, and then put it in. I told the dentist that of all the things she would do, the worst one was that infernal "tap tap tap" on the bite tape to see if the new tooth/crown is too high, and then they make constant adjustments. It's sort of like going to the eye doctor and getting to the point where they say "1 or number 2," and you start second-guessing yourself. She said she would do her best to get it right the first time.

Unbelievably – to me – she did. I'm sitting here today, and I'm telling you this thing is perfect. We did do the "tap tap tap," but there was absolutely no adjustment needed. My bite is perfect (perhaps unfortunately, as now I have no deterrent to overeating).

I walked out 2 hours later from when I started, with my mouth still a little numb, but otherwise with no need to go back (I am going back for my cleaning in a couple weeks, but if this had been scheduled, it would not have been required).

Oh, it's still going to the dentist but man, has technology changed. Honestly, it even seemed like the Novocain they put in didn't hurt/pinch like it used to. You know, they rub your gum with something that's numbing before they give you the shot and I swear, it's better than it used to be as well. Maybe it's not even Novocain anymore. They offered the nitrous oxide, but I declined. I'm not a big fan of going to the dentist but it doesn't bother me as much as I'm sure it bothers others.

Ain't technology grand. Where's my PalmPilot?

Re: Teeth and Technology

I took a trip to the dermatologist recently and they took a biopsy of something, which required sticking a needle in it with something to numb it. I asked didn’t they have something to numb that first before inserting the needle like the dentist and I just got some Oh I know’ sympathy.

I think I’m going to the wrong dermatologist.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    I took a trip to the dermatologist recently and they took a biopsy of something, which required sticking a needle in it with something to numb it. I asked didn’t they have something to numb that first before inserting the needle like the dentist and I just got some Oh I know’ sympathy.

I think I’m going to the wrong dermatologist.
    I am into round 3 of biopsy and evidently off to MOES surgery soon. But mine does numb me before scraping and digging...

Teeth and Technology

I went through the dermatology thing during the Covid days. It was Covid protocol so I entered and exited through a side door to minimize contact with other patients and staff. They cut one thing off and scraped another… the thing they cut off required several stitches, and the scrap was pretty deep.

They all tested negative (thank Jesus), but when it came time to follow up and remove stitches, it was arrive, call and wait in car and then I assumed they’d sneak me back through the side door. I was sitting in my car waiting, not paying any attention…tap, tap, tap on the window. The Dr was standing there with a covered surgery tray, asked if I minded if he got in on passenger side. Dr jumps in, asks me to remove my shirt and proceeds to remove stitches and change scrape dressing in the car…. I sh¥£%t you not…

I left thinking what the new world be like after Covid.

The scars aren’t too bad, when asked at beach or pool, the scrape looks like a gunshot, and the incision scar looks like a stab wound…. I have fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Ain't technology grand. Where's my PalmPilot?

Look next to where you keep the screwdrivers.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.