Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Please keep my father in law in your thoughts and prayers

Please keep my father in law in your thoughts and prayers

My mother in law passed away Friday night after going into the hospital on Wednesday. She was almost 91, and wasn't in good health, but this wasn't expected. She fell Wednesday and broke her arm and just took a bad turn in the hospital and passed away.

My wife got to see her before she passed, arriving Friday afternoon, and is with her father now.

And that is at the hospital again.

She and her sister who flew in from Dallas took my father in law to the ER, suffering shortness of breath and abdominal pains. He was recently released from the hospital related to abdominal issues, but they don't think this is a blockage. He has had some shortness of breath periodically but albuterol hasn't helped today and they're concerned. He's almost 91 as well.

That poor man has been through a lot. The children (my wife and her siblings) are already in pain. Thoughts and prayers are appreciated.

Re: Please keep my father in law in your thoughts and prayers

You got it, Darrell.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Prayers for your family.

Prayers sent

Thanks. 4+ hours, still in ER. They're trying to get him a bed, but none available yet. Seems to be doing OK, but he's exhausted on top of everything else.

Prayers for a family that has already been through a lot.
    Hold fast to the Father in this time of loss, sadness and grief.
    May His Comfort get you and your family through this...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

God bless you and your wife’s family…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

Prayers offered up for your family.
    MOLON LABE!

After a series of tests, at 6:30 they said his gallbladder is infected and distended. Very worried about the next steps.

Rupp's Runt

Prayers!

Hang in there Darrell. We’re thinking about you and your family.

Me and the man upstairs just had a chat about this situation. He did not tell me no for my requests, so I am hoping he was just busy and did not have time to respond. I took it as a quiet yes, so he at least knows that there is work to be done, when he has a break from kicking Putin's azz.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Best wishes

He is in surgery.

Surgery went well...it was gangrenous and surgeon also repaired something else. Will be in hospital a few days pumping IV antibiotics, but all looks good. Thanks to all. (I won't update this unless there's a reason, and I sure hope there won't be a reason ).

Heck yeah!! Congratulations!! Mrs. Darrell and her sibs must be relieved..and ecstatic!

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Hope he pulls thru Darrell. When my Mom passed (at 90) there was nothing currently wrong but she’d just decided it was time I think. The official cause was “failure to thrive”.

Hoping your father in law fights thru it!
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Fab Five

Very sad news Darrell. It’s hard for a man your FIL’s age to deal with the rapid changes surrounding him. May he find comfort in the prayers being offered and may he find the strength to endure.
    Real Fan since 1958

One and Done

Just saw this. Prayers for his recovery.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Again, thanks to all. You really are appreciated so much.

My wife and her sisters met with the funeral people today while their father is recovering in the hospital. It is all so tough. It might be better for my FIL that he is in the hospital so he doesn't have to deal with that right now, too.

God give them strength.

You have my prayers as always my friend. Just went through a similar situation and it is just a hard thing. God bless your family.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

I said I wouldn't update unless something happened, but I thought I'd go ahead and give you a happy update.

He's doing great, just fantastic. Going to be discharged Saturday. Breathing is better than it has been in months.

Funny story. 5 years ago today, he was in Birmingham visiting us. It just so happened that Shaquille O'Neal was in town at an Alabama Boy Scout fundraiser lunch. I was teaching at Samford at the time, and the Samford business department bought a table, and gave me two tickets.

My father-in-law is an LSU alum, big LSU fan for years. So I asked him if he'd like to go with me, and he quickly said yes. We parked outside at a parking lot, and walked to the BJCC. I look up, and there are stairs after stairs leading into the convention hall, so I turn my head and look to see if there is a handicap entrance for elevators.

In the time it took me to turn my head, he had bounced up about half the stairs. Almost 86 years old, and he went up those stairs better than I did. At the time, he was still going to a gym 5 days a week, so that was nothing for him, I guess lol.

He FaceTimed with my daughter/his granddaughter today and the two newest great-grandchildren, and it made his day. He's ready to come home, but they want him to stay a little longer.

Tough bird.

A few tidbits from that Shaquille O'Neal luncheon (I looked up the date, and found a nice article on it.) I'm not an LSU fan (well, sometimes when I'm with my wife/her family, I guess I'll root for them some), but Shaq was a lot of fun at lunch.

Among the zingers:

“I have a confession: When I was young I wanted to be a Boy Scout, but the uniform wouldn’t fit. So I decided to play basketball.”
    “I have another confession to make. I wasn’t really affiliated with the Boy Scouts. I’m a Girl Scouts type of guy. I like what they do with the cookie program.”
    When a young Scout referenced O’Neal’s commercial for a Buick, he questioned whether the 7-foot-1-inch basketball great who wears a size 22 shoe and weighs well north of 300 pounds could really fit in a “normal-sized” car, O’Neal responded, “For $3 million, I can fit in anything.”
    Upon learning that his first $1 million payday wasn’t really $1 million because of taxes and withholdings, O’Neal asked a Boy Scout if he knew who FICA was? (A reference to the Federal Insurance Contributions Act tax as it is listed on a paystub.) The Scout didn’t know. “I don’t know either, but when I see him, I’m going to knock him out,” O’Neal said.
    Jeff Speegle, sports anchor with ABC 33/40 in Birmingham, asked Shaq a rapid-fire series of prepared questions,

Speegle: “Breakfast, lunch or dinner?”

O’Neal: “All three combined. And it’s called Waffle House. My favorite place.”

Speegle: “Best golf swing, you or (former Auburn and NBA star) Charles Barkley?”

O’Neal: Rolls his eyes. “Me. Charles’ swing is ‘turrible!’”

Speegle: “Best dresser, you or Charles Barkley?”

O’Neal: “Me.”

Speegle: “Best trash talker when you played, you or Charles Barkley?”

O’Neal: “Charles. All day, Charles!”

But it wasn’t all about the laughs. O’Neal had all of the youths in the audience stand up and repeat a mantra that included respecting their elders, their parents and law enforcement. He urged them to be leaders and not followers, do the right things, get an education and make good choices.

That is very good news on your father-in-law.
    Bless him and thank you for the update.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Good news, Darrell.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Rupp's Runt

Happy updates are always welcomed.

Great news to add to an extremely special week for the Darrell family.