Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Unlikely as it may seem, there is a chance

I had long ago given up hope, but has hope been reborn?

Mr. Trump has given himself his whole second term to complete and implement the agreement. It is the best chance peace has had in the Middle East since the British and French evicted the Ottoman (Turkish) Empire in 1918. Corrupt and decrepit though the Ottomans were, “the Sick Man of Europe” threw the Allies into the sea at Gallipoli (almost ending Winston Churchill’s political career), outlasted the Russians in the First World War and provided better government than most of what has followed in the Middle East, apart from Israel. Once again, the improbable Donald Trump may have caught history at a decisive turning point.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Re: Unlikely as it may seem, there is a chance

Clearly he is doing this to enhance his chances to win re-election! Impeach 45.

Could achieve partial peace but won't cure the civil unrest in countrys where religiuos faction are at was
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

I haven't read the plan or the details, but the basic premise is the only real path to any peace: a two state solution that establishes a Palestine and leaves an Israel.

The problem is the Palestinian leadership stays in power by being extremists who blame the suffering of Palestinians on the very existence of Israel, and promising them if they'll just continue to not compromise and suffer horrible poverty and blowing themselves up and throwing rocks at men with assault rifles that they'll be rewarded by wiping out Israel and owning the whole thing.

That's a lie, it won't happen, but it keeps them in power.

Can a deal be cut that they accept where they are bought off enough to back off that premise? Trump has offered $50 billion to do just that. Is it enough? I doubt it. They don't want Palestine to be successful, they want it to be theirs.

Is it a good political move for Trump? absolutely. Even if it nothing happens by November it always helps to be seen as a statesman. he can have meetings with the parties, etc. and that's always good for his image, even though the media will tear apart everything from his plan to what shoes Melania wears when she gets off the plane.

And it happens to be a good thing to do, or at least try. This is the only real approach, and maybe, just maybe, he can move the ball a bit. Probably not much, but Middle East peace is a game of inches.

And it's better to be lucky than good in this particular game, so maybe Trump lucks out with timing.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Article by Cal Thomas on exactly the point: the Palestinian leadership doesn't want peace.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/trum...lan-cal-thomas
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

Saw the Palestinian leadership on TV on the news over the weekend. It seems they totally reject even the idea of any agreement that could bring them true autonomy and peace.
    You reap what you sow. If peace is desired, it can be achieved. But there has to be a true desire for it, and you have to be willing to have meaningful negotiations in good faith for the best outcome, for everyone on both sides.
    The Palestinians obviously do not want any sort of peace with the Israelis. What's new? The Palestinians are who and what they are, a group of low-brow POS terrorists. I
    Hey, again, you reap what you sow.

I don't think it's in the nature of these people to want peace. They've been fighting forever and I don't think there will ever be a lasting peace in that area.

I think it all depends on what the people want. If they can oust the despots that seek only money and power, then peace has a chance. The "palestinians" if there is such a thing, are living in the west bank settlements side by side with the Israelis in peace. There is a purely radical faction among them but that is a very small percent of the people.

The Arabs of Palestine were Ottomans and then Syrians before claiming to be "Palestinians". As I have posted many times the land area we call the middle east is one really screwed up place.
    seeya
    dan

It's a Biblical conflict between Ishmael and Israel that started with Abraham. One that will not go away until Christ returns..which for the most part, neither believe.
    Their differences religiously are insurmountable because they believe in the same Creator, but consider each other thieves of a birthright. That jealousy is burned into their mind from birth.

When they do agree and say peace and safety....then comes sudden and cataclysmic destruction.

Pretty much the unanimous view of Christians of every religion.
    Last edited by kingcat; 02-04-2020 at 04:56 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by DanISSELisdaman View Post
    I don't think it's in the nature of these people to want peace. They've been fighting forever and I don't think there will ever be a lasting peace in that area.
    There is a fantastic non-profit in my area that I support, volunteer and help with. Every summer, they bring High School students from Israel and Palestine and bring them to San Diego. The entire program is built around dialogue and understanding.
    Obviously, a few hundred teenagers are not going to change an entire region that has been in conflict for thousands of years. But, over time, it can make a difference.
    My point is that some people there do want peace. I have met them and listened to them.

Attachment 9051
    ~Puma~

I think a lot of the everyday people there would want peace, even though the leadership is doing everything possible to indoctrinate them.

But the leadership stays in power by not having peace. Like any dictator, they don't want a happy populace, but a controlled populace. Combine that with the religious reinforcement of their position by many and that's a tough situation to break.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Article by Cal Thomas on exactly the point: the Palestinian leadership doesn't want peace.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/trum...lan-cal-thomas
    They may change their minds when Trump is re-elected. Now they are hoping the anti-Israeli faction of the DNC will win.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    They may change their minds when Trump is re-elected. Now they are hoping the anti-Israeli faction of the DNC will win.
    Do they have a pro-Israeli faction any more? lol

“If you look at the rate of the expansion of Israeli settlements and if you look at the aspiration of the Palestinian people, you’re about to get to a crossroad where you almost can’t come back.”

https://www.nysun.com/foreign/kushne...-united/91004/
    seeya
    dan