Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Nice article on Berea College

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...owment/572644/

Just ran across it. Nice piece with an overview of their history and how they manage to not charge tuition for their students.

A school which has remained dedicated to its mission without hypocrisy IMO.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

Re: Nice article on Berea College

Thanks for sharing.
    Real Fan since 1958

Nice article on Berea College

Good article. Do you have to qualify as low income to attend?

Is the school well thought of in the region? I've heard of it my whole life but really never knew much about it. Enjoyed the article. Very interesting.

Yes, as far as I know you have to be qualified low income in some way. Now that's just what I believe, I haven't looked it up, but I think that's the case.

I'd say it's well respected in the area. Their students work, and Berea crafts are very well thought of, though the market for such things has declined from its peak 15 or so years ago. They used to make really fine cherry furniture, full chests and such. I don't think they make it any more or maybe only to order, b/c the market for such things is so poor.

AFAIK it's a pretty typical liberal arts college. I pulled up their majors out of curiosity, has some in there i think are nonsense as college majors. Fine as study areas, but not as majors.

But I'd say it's well considered overall. I've certainly never heard anything negative said about it, not ever. And as the article points out, it has been well supported by benefactors.

I like the fact the students have to work. Personally I'd love to go to college and pay my way by making furniture and such. I like working with my hands, don't ever get to do it. Something very satisfying about it, and I would think those lessons of pride in actually doing something would be valuable to students.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Is the school well thought of in the region?
    Very well thought of for what it is.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.