Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

2nd time this embarrassing thing has occurred to me....

At lunch today, as we were finishing up--chicken and dressing at Cracker Barrel--I had a small piece of chicken get stuck in my esophagus.

It is a little painful, saliva builds up, and it just won't go down. Probably took 20-25 minutes before it finally went down, and in the meantime, of course, I was in a stall in the bathroom basically upchucking a little trying to get the piece of chicken out.

It has happened a few times in my life, but only twice in public. The first time I was working with a law firm in Montgomery, Alabama and at lunch. Had a roast beef and rice type of dish, and it got "stuck."

Embarrassing.

Fast forward 27-28 years later, and it happened again.

Now here's the funny part. One of the lawyers I worked with in Montgomery had a son that was only a couple of years old. "John" later went to school first in Alabama, then at the University of Miami (he had gotten married, and his wife had a job in Miami), and began practicing law there.

The firm I am of counsel with now was looking for a litigator. Guess who moved back to Alabama?

John.

Guess who I was having lunch with?

John.

Isn't that weird?

Probably 15 years or so ago, I had an episode and a piece of chicken got stuck, and it just would not go down for hours. I ended up at a gastroenterolgist who performed a minor procedure by removing it, then stretched my esophagus.

I think it may be time to have that done again.

Re: 2nd time this embarrassing thing has occurred to me....

I hate that feeling. I probably need to have my esophagus stretched, but haven't done so.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    I hate that feeling. I probably need to have my esophagus stretched, but haven't done so.
    It really is. And embarrassing as heck in public.

I think the stretching procedure is pretty simple. If this happens to you, I bet you would really benefit from it.

Rupp's Runt

Stretching depends on the cause. I fight this battle daily with something called EoE. As long as you do okay with anesthesia (I don't), the procedure if fairly simple. I hate eating at social events.

Mother had to have it done years ago, helped her a TON.

I think I have the same problem. either that or a hernia or fatal tumor or alien tech disloged, b/c I'll be fine then I'll have a bad bout of the same thing. Sometimes it'll go on down, sometimes I have to go throw up. Gotten a lot better at throwing up on cue, normally I could only do it if I was drunk. lol

Happens the most when I'm eating socially b/c I don't think about chewing well, and I'll be a dummy and swallow that first bite of meat whole and that's that. Red meat is the worst, and I don't eat a lot of it just by happenstance (I love it, just dont' get it much), but if I chew really well I'm usually OK. Not always but mostly.

I need to go have it checked, see if it's something that can be treated by stretching, etc. or if it's something else.

I also get really bad pressure and pain in my upper GI at times. Not quite as bad as a kidney stone but not far off. I think it's tied to overeating, but no idea the cause. The working theory in the office is a hernia.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I have a co-worker who has the same issue, but hers is due to her heart being enlarged, and that can't be fixed by stretching.

Rupp's Runt

First thing doctors will do is put you an acid reflux medicine. GERD seems to be the one they point to most often and first. Even if you don't have other reflux symptoms, food hanging can still happen bc of GERD.

If it is a hernia, never overeat. Keep your stomach half full. Sucks at first but if it works you get used to it and don't mind it.

Next is probably a good allergy test and/or scope.

I've done all of these...fun times.

First thing you need to do is go to your medical provider and have a TSH and free T-4 drawn as well as an exam on your thyroid to check for nodules, goiters, etc. Thyroid issues can cause problems with swallowing. Then you need an upper GI (endoscopy) to check for esophageal strictures. While they are doing this procedure they should biopsy your stomach and check for the bacteria H.Pylori. This is a huge reason for reflux and is often overlooked. Everything I mentioned above is treatable - but if not treated can become a problem. I know I am sounding like a mother hen at this point - but please - just go to your doctor/np/pa and get checked out. No need to suffer when it is an easy fix.
    I'm keeping Receipts!!

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by uklandrn View Post
    No need to suffer when it is an easy fix.
    Yep, the scope is pretty easy. Worst case, if you get stretched, it might hurt to swallow for a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    First thing doctors will do is put you an acid reflux medicine. GERD seems to be the one they point to most often and first. Even if you don't have other reflux symptoms, food hanging can still happen bc of GERD.

If it is a hernia, never overeat. Keep your stomach half full. Sucks at first but if it works you get used to it and don't mind it.

Next is probably a good allergy test and/or scope.

I've done all of these...fun times.
    Same.

Hiatal hernia.

Prilosec daily. "How long will I have to take it," I asked? "The rest of your life," they answered.