Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: The Politicization of Everything

The Politicization of Everything

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I get on Facebook to see my friends' photos, where they're checking in on vacation, what they had for dinner, etc.

I didn't become friends with them because of politics, so it's very disconcerting when so much of my Facebook timeline is chewed up with friends' political tirades, posting of political articles and other stuff that just gets in the way of my enjoyment of the medium. It was really big after Election Day, seemed to cool off a little in December but is even worse now after the Inauguration and the Women's March over the weekend.

Then there's Twitter. I see politics creeping in to my follows there, too. I follow Chris Brown for football analysis, Adam Zagoria for basketball recruiting info, Chef John for cooking and recipes, and We Rate Dogs for cute doggy pics (their shtick is that every dog is way over 10 on a 0-10 scale--hey, everybody needs a little diversion to get them through the day). And they've all been posting political stuff over the last few days. It's like sour notes on a piano when that's the last thing I want to see when I read them.

I'm not saying they can't post whatever they want. To me, it's just a sign that everything is getting politicized. This excerpt from a column on the subject discusses this:

It’s a time when a movie was boycotted because the guy who wrote the beloved source novel hated Barack Obama. It’s a time when roving bands of outrage mongers decided that a random pizza place in the middle of Nowhere, Ind., needed to be destroyed because its owners refused to mouth the day’s proper platitudes. It’s a time when the phrase “hate chicken” makes sense. It’s a time when tech geniuses and artistic minds alike were deprived of their livelihood for daring support a political proposition in California. It’s a time when people attempt to organize boycotts of entire publishing houses because said publishing house signs a deal with a guy who annoys them. It’s a time when whole states are subject to sanction for laws about where people pee. To say nothing of Target and Starbucks and any number of rightwing reactions in response to this rediscovered responsibility to resort to economic warfare.

This is the time and place in which we live.

It is, frankly, not the world I wanted. The idea that the political and personal and professional should all be hopelessly intertwined—that we should all live a politicized life—has long struck me as foolish and unhealthy. But it’s the world we have. Hooray, you won: the politicized life is here to stay. Donald Trump shilling for outdoorsy athletic wear is really just the next step down the ladder. Now all Good Men must decide whether or not to boycott the company in an effort to impoverish their employees stick it to Trump or waste their money on political signaling help Make America Great Again.
    It's just annoying as hell to me. I think it's part of what many people found annoying about the Ashley Judd/Twitter episode. We know she speaks out on political issues, but when she tries to mix that into UK basketball, it's grating. And I'd feel that way if she were promoting conservative ideas while talking UK basketball. Can we not have one thing that's politics-free?

Maybe that's not possible anymore, I don't know. I guess this is just a vent--on a political board, no less. But I like the way we try to segment it away from other discussion. I wish life were that simple.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 01-23-2017 at 09:25 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Re: The Politicization of Everything

Honestly I'd rather have this kind of discussion on here versus the more obvious core party politics stuff. That stuff is so predictable, and so redundant.

A lot of it I think is that politics has invaded our social space. When I was a kid whether you spanked your kids or whatever wasn't a political issue, you could be a Republican or Democrat and that was that.

but social issues, social behavior, etc. has now become inextricably woven with politics. Many think I'm a "conservative" so I must also be conservative on social issues, and largely I'm not.

But also tied to that is the idea that if you are against X or Y you are in Camp Blue or Camp Red, and must agree on all their other list of points too. that's not true of too many people.

From there it seems to permeate everything, and has become a question of morality and judgment beyond politics. And I agree it's everywhere. Seth Davis was tweeting politics stuff. Why? You're a basketball analyst, stick to that.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I don't think you are in the minority, or if you are, I'm right there with you.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Seth Davis was tweeting politics stuff. Why? You're a basketball analyst, stick to that.
    So, now because someone has a job, they're not allowed to use Twitter to discuss non-job related topics? We're all human beings that have a right to opinions and are free to share that however we want.

If you don't like what Seth Davis has to say on Twitter, don't follow him. If you don't follow him, don't worry yourself about what he has to say.

I don't understand this obsession to have people in the public eye be void of opinions and their right to express them.

I don't think it's appropriate for "Seth Davis on Hoops" to post political agenda items on his twitter. I've always been a fan of those who bifurcate their profession from their personal beliefs, even to the point of having two twitter accounts. It's not a calling for Seth Davis to be void of a political opinion, or a religious opinion, or an opinion about the size of a woman's breasts he likes. He can do that all he wants, and share that all he wants. But not on his basketball twitter machine. It's like going to a concert, and having your favorite artist spend their time, rather than singing their songs, spewing their political agenda. Whether I agree with it or not, it is inappropriate.

And yes, if they continue to engage in inappropriate posts like that, they will not be followed. They weren't initially followed for that reason, and they won't continue to be followed if this continues. They are all entitled to whatever beliefs they want, and even to the point of losing followers because they were inappropriate.

Put another way that may make it understandable on this level. We don't allow political posts on the sports board. Why? Because it's inappropriate. It's a sports board. Seth Davis on Hoops is a basketball reporter. It's not "Seth Davis on Hoops and Political Agenda."

Quote Originally Posted by StuBleedsBlue2 View Post
    So, now because someone has a job, they're not allowed to use Twitter to discuss non-job related topics? We're all human beings that have a right to opinions and are free to share that however we want.

If you don't like what Seth Davis has to say on Twitter, don't follow him. If you don't follow him, don't worry yourself about what he has to say.

I don't understand this obsession to have people in the public eye be void of opinions and their right to express them.
    Of course he's "allowed", at least by me and Twitter. If I were his boss then no I wouldn't allow it if he wanted to stay employed, I don't let my staff do that stuff in a role where they are clearly connected to my business, and "SethDavisHoops" is clearly connected to his job.

As for having a "right to an opinion", gee thanks for that civics news flash. Sure he can have any opinion he wants, as can I, and my opinion is that a lot of people don't like when other people interject politics into their job roles in any way, and they can vote their dollars.

And in fact that is happening, as ESPN is starting to lose a lot of subscribers. People watch and follow ESPN and their analysts for SPORTS and sports news. If they wanted politics they can follow Fox or CNN. Some of that is pure cost factors for cable subscriptions, but some of it is ESPN taking an increasingly active role in telling us what to think, and doing so with a pretty left leaning bent.

Seth et al are entitled to any opinion they want. I'm entitled to not spend my time or money with their business and I'm also entitled to come on here (or their twitter feed) and tell them to STFU. Rights work both ways.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I don't see why someone like Seth or any other celebrity would give their political thoughts. It seems to hurt them more then help them. I agree, I'm tired of turning on sports and hearing about every ones political views.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Of course he's "allowed", at least by me and Twitter. If I were his boss then no I wouldn't allow it if he wanted to stay employed, I don't let my staff do that stuff in a role where they are clearly connected to my business, and "SethDavisHoops" is clearly connected to his job.

As for having a "right to an opinion", gee thanks for that civics news flash. Sure he can have any opinion he wants, as can I, and my opinion is that a lot of people don't like when other people interject politics into their job roles in any way, and they can vote their dollars.

And in fact that is happening, as ESPN is starting to lose a lot of subscribers. People watch and follow ESPN and their analysts for SPORTS and sports news. If they wanted politics they can follow Fox or CNN. Some of that is pure cost factors for cable subscriptions, but some of it is ESPN taking an increasingly active role in telling us what to think, and doing so with a pretty left leaning bent.

Seth et al are entitled to any opinion they want. I'm entitled to not spend my time or money with their business and I'm also entitled to come on here (or their twitter feed) and tell them to STFU. Rights work both ways.

I'm sure he understands the risk of mixing politics and basketball, and you may ask why. However, there's probably just as many people asking why is he analyzing basketball. I actually prefer his political analysis and opinions more than his basketball. He doesn't really know any more about the game than any of us do, but he just has more access.

I guess I just don't get, or agree with, the criticism that someone that is known for one thing must be silent on everything else out of some notion that others may not agree with them.

I'm sure that we're going to hear tons of political pundits tell us who they want to win the Super Bowl over the next couple of weeks, and that doesn't bother me at all. Not sure why it can't go the other way with people getting all crazy about it.

Fab Five

I am right there with you Brian. Some of the political posts are just down right embarrassing. I have a number of friends from college with whom I stay friends to keep up with their lives. I don't mind a few political comments from time to time, but when 90% of their posts are some liberal or conservative BS you have to wonder about their mental state and quality of life. Thirty minutes a day devoted to political commentary should be sufficient. And for my college educated friends it is difficult to understand how their thought processes have become so black and white. They see no complexity to any issue.
    Real Fan since 1958

I posted this because it was both benign and a little funny. A guy I graduated HS with responded with "Worst day for America since 9-11" Way out of context. (You'll need to allow a second or two for the image to appear)

https://www.facebook.com/favoritedai...424095/?type=3
    Last edited by badrose; 01-26-2017 at 07:14 AM.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Unforgettable

Brian, I don't do twitter or facebook mainly because of what you just wrote. My wife does facebook and gets so mad at high school classmates that want to spill their garbage and they refuse to listen to the opposing side. A classmate of mine in Paducah is starting to feel the same way, there is a few former classmates that want to spill their hatred and refuse to listen to what opposing sides write. A few other friends are the same way. It is a small sample but each of them say their conservative friends rarely talk politics on facebook, but those that are extreme left wing liberals are just hateful and full of poison, most of them cut them off. I dont' want to listen to it and I am sure they wouldn't want to hear what I had to say back to them, it would not be pretty.

As far as Davis, he easily could start another twitter account and spill his politics there. I only watch espn now for games, no sports center, no sport nation or whatever the heck it is called, its all garbage imo, some of it is seriously lacking in intelligence. I don't care what Davis, or Bilas, or any of the commentators in sports think about politics on espn. Start another blog or whatever and I might listen and share my opinions.

The good thing, when those that are far left wing radicals and spill their garbage and use filthy language I know not to ever listen to their music or support their movies. I was actually shocked at George Clooney saying he hopes Trump is successful because this country does nto need a president who fails. And Hanks said he will give Trump a chance. That attitude goes a long way, I will see their movies in the future. deNerio, no longer even though I have always loved his movies but his out of touch politics with his rants and boasting about hitting trump and not liking bullies. he needs to look in the mirror or the way his friends on the far left have bullied anyone who supported Trump.

As the 10 year old boy, son of Carey, said, screw them.

I think the author of this article has been reading this thread:

If all you’re using Facebook for is to yell into the digital void about politics, you will find your audience for such rants is getting smaller by the minute. Sorry, random friends from all walks of life: I just don’t care what you think about Donald Trump today.

I hoped the tone would improve post-election, but with the inauguration and every statement or story out of the Trump administration, the hysteria remains at a fevered pitch. And I’m sick of it.
    Facebook, Dead at 12: A Victim of 2016
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    I think the author of this article has been reading this thread:

Facebook, Dead at 12: A Victim of 2016
    I pretty much ignore those who go all political on facebook, in either direction. Do the same for those who get all religious.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I pretty much ignore those who go all political on facebook, in either direction. Do the same for those who get all religious.
    I'm religious and I agree. Political and religious posts on Facebook are like bumper stickers. Free speech without dialogue only serves to galvanize.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    I'm religious and I agree. Political and religious posts on Facebook are like bumper stickers. Free speech without dialogue only serves to galvanize.
    God bless you, you liberal jerk
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.