Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Return of the Greatest Television Show of All Time and HOW to Watch It

I could NOT be more pleased to share with all of you, and anyone else you want to turn onto, the return of the greatest television show of all time, David Lynch's noir mystery masterpiece, Twin Peaks!!

Showtime has FINALLY announced that the date and time for the first episode (a two-hour premiere) of the NEW season will be Sunday, May 21st, at 9 pm, ET/PT, to be immediately followed by hours 3 and 4, available exclusively "across the SHOWTIME streaming service, SHOWTIME ANYTIME and SHOWTIME ON DEMAND".

Originally airing on ABC from 1990-1991, Twin Peaks, created by David Lynch and Mark Frost, captured the imaginations of an American viewing public that NEEDED something different to watch, something that didn't follow the rigid rules of what did and did not "work" for television at that time. Lynch, already well-known as one of the World's premiere directors, with American film classics such as Blue Velvet and The Elephant Man on his resume, led viewers into a world nobody had ever imagined, which is the M.O. for Lynch if there ever was one, famously noted for entire ideas for films, characters, scenes, and even music, coming out of his own dreams. Not everyone can do that and captivate an audience at the same time, but then no figure in modern film history has the natural artistic sensibility to maintain such an independent vision, with virtually no compromises.

At this point in film and TV history, Twin Peaks is widely considered, quite correctly, as the original forerunner of what we NOW think of as modern television, meaning the series that have taken incredible chances in recent years, massively popular series as diverse as Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad (neither of which resembles Twin Peaks, FWIW) being two obvious examples, owe everything to this "Granddaddy" of cinema-level TV, with no reason for caveats such as "art house favorite" or "cult classic" to be attached to any of them at this point.

For this particular Twin Peaks fan, since I am sharing this with all of my KSR friends here, it is NECESSARY that I let you know some things that are VERY important about HOW to watch this particular show, to be followed by a trailer for the original show and an explanation as to why there is no, and likely will be no, trailer for the NEW Twin Peaks. Please do not hesitate to ask me anything about Twin Peaks, David Lynch, or any of the actors involved and I will be happy to flesh out some impressions/opinions if that is of any interest.

Anyone who has never watched it, or if your memory of it is so vague that you can't recall how much you watched or retained, I recommend VERY strongly that you go by the following set of simple rules so that your viewing experience is optimum:

1. More than ANY show EVER produced for TV, you MUST watch the show IN SEQUENCE (Season 1, Season 2, THEN the film, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me), and completely AVOID anything on the internet, anything coming out of people's mouths, ANYTHING that MIGHT be a potential spoiler.

--Twin Peaks is a mystery, set in a small town in the great Northwest, where David Lynch and star Kyle MacLachlan both grew up. It can be dark, hilarious, mystical, disturbing, and is chock full of surprises, even while maintaining a down-to-Earth sense that keeps viewers on solid ground while all seems chaos and question marks.

--Twin Peaks is constructed, specifically, to get you to want to see the next episode, immediately. It is the original show of marathons (I have done about 15-20 with various friends and family over the years and have a perfect "new fan" record for each person I have exposed to the show via that method of watching) and binging. It's not just what might seem obvious... "yeah, sure, it's always best to watch any show in sequence"... BUT it's particularly important with Twin Peaks because you have NO chance of understanding very important plot points and references if you do NOT watch in the exact sequence intended by the show's creators.

--The devil is ALWAYS in the details with Twin Peaks, so PLEASE do not do yourself a disservice by casually viewing it. I even highly recommend repeated viewings of episodes (you will see what I mean once you get two or three hours into it) because you will note things you hadn't "seen" in a first viewing, which CAN, often enough, be a part of a vital clue as FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan) and Sherriff Harry S. Truman (Michael Ontkean) lead audiences through the initial investigation of the death of the Homecoming Queen, Laura Palmer (Sheryl Lee). Even for folks who watched the show religiously back in the day, if you haven't watched it in years, I VERY highly recommend re-watching Seasons 1 and 2, then Fire Walk With Me again so that you will be better prepared for whatever Lynch might bring in the new show.

2. Do not EVER EVER listen to ANYONE who tells you any of the following FALSE notions about Twin Peaks or David Lynch...

--FALSE notion #1: "Twin Peaks was great the first season, but the second season was not that good";

TRUE answer to that falsehood: "then you weren't paying attention. Arguably, the second season has the top five episodes in the entire series and there are so many ANSWERS to questions raised in Season 1, that you were clearly a casual viewer from the beginning and likely invested little into it from the start"... now, despite my answer sounding a little salty, it's 100% the correct take. What folks have to remember is that this was not your normal, everyday, water cooler show to chat up at work. Twin Peaks, like just about any really STRONG, unique piece of art, demands your attention MUCH more than the average TV show. Another problem with the above false notion that folks don't take into account is that the first season is only 8 episodes long, including a two hour premiere "pilot", whereas the second season is TWENTY TWO episodes long, thus the "concentrated" Season 1 is perceived as "greater", as opposed to "different", in that Season 2 fleshes out a LOT of new plot points AFTER a lot of Season 1 questions are answered during the first half of Season 2. This led the more casually viewing folks to demand too much of Season 2, in terms of relative intensity, rather than just being patient. That patience is rewarded with MORE of Lynch's unique vision, and possibly some of the best television or film work I have ever witnessed ALL coming in Season 2.

--FALSE notion #2: "I saw Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and it was terrible. I didn't understand any of it";

TRUE answer to that falsehood: "then you either did not watch or pay attention to the entirety of the two seasons of Twin Peaks as a TV series, which renders the film indecipherable." Again, just like my "how to watch Twin Peaks" point #1, if you don't watch it how it's meant to be watched, IN ORDER, you get what you lazily "pay" for. So don't pay attention to ANY poor reviews of the film. I don't care how "good" you think the film critic is, if they panned it, outright, they were never paying attention to the ENTIRE piece of art known as Twin Peaks, to begin with. Another VERY important point about Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is that the film is a PREQUEL, chronologically, within Twin Peaks lore, but that does NOT mean you should watch it BEFORE watching Season 1 and Season 2. Again, you won't understand it and there are a LOT of reasons you will get that once you DO watch it all in sequence. Just trust me, lol.

--FALSE notion #3: "I can't believe the new Twin Peaks can live up to the original series because it was so good back in the day";

TRUE answer to that falsehood: "you have allowed yourself to become one of the many folks who PRE-judge art, without IMAGINING that it MIGHT be good on it's OWN merits, i.e. keep in mind that what we are talking about is the return of something brilliant, so let's at LEAST give it a chance". An even better answer comes down to facts, what we KNOW about the new Twin Peaks that IS better than the original... David Lynch directed EVERY moment of the 18 hours that have been produced for the new series. Even though he directed more episodes than anyone else, of the original series, he was also working on the film, Wild at Heart, while Twin Peaks was in it's initial production, keeping in close contact with writers and co-creator, Mark Frost, when he was on his film's set, and directing almost every VERY key episode when he DID direct the show, meaning you KNOW when it's a Lynch episode. His earmarks become second nature to the serious Twin Peaks fan, but THIS time we get him doing ALL of it and the fans, the cast, ALL of whom have been sworn to secrecy about the new series, the crew, the writers... everyone is freaking STOKED, wanting to know what the new series will be like and HOW Lynch will connect the two eras of Twin Peaks (don't worry, NOBOOY is better equipped to create, improvise, and challenge like Lynch, so it's going to be fascinating, IMO, no matter what).

--FALSE notion #4: "David Lynch is too weird for me. I know this because I saw Eraserhead and refused to watch anything else by him ever again";

TRUE answer to that falsehood: "then you have pre-judged an ENTIRE group of pieces of art, and the artist, based upon viewing ONE piece, which tells you exactly NOTHING about that artist, aside from that one piece, rendering your opinion of the artist as completely irrelevant. Again, sorry if that sounds haughty, or whatever, but it's actually a simple truth. Every director, that's any good, has experiments that DIVERGE from each other as opposed to resembling each other. That is the most important quality of other great directors such as Stanley Kubrick, Orson Welles, et al. What that CAN mean is that certain pieces resonate better with some folks, and not so much with others. Eraserhead just happens to be on the short list of weirdest films ever made, and was, incidentally, one of Stanley Kubrick's favorite films, believe it or not. He once obsessively watched it, apparently dozens of times, over just a week or two. It's even on the weird side for Lynch, but Twin Peaks is MUCH more accessible, WHILE maintaining a deep, deep artistic sensibility for those who have that in their DNA and/or are willing to challenge themselves to accept what Lynch does, and just go along for the ride, meaning TRUST the artist and TRY to get to the answers to questions brought about by the series by keeping a COMPLETELY open mind. I cannot emphasize that last point more critically when engaging with a David Lynch work.

So enough about "how to watch". Here is a link to an official Twin Peaks "Marathon Trailer", approved for Showtime, centered on Season 1 of the original series, which returns to weekly broadcast TV as a regularly scheduled program with the two hour pilot premiere episode of Season 1 on Showtime's schedule, Saturday, January 14th, 11 am ET, to be immediately followed by the rest of Season 1 in marathon form, so set your DVR's if you have Showtime, or subscribe, or buy the incredible Twin Peaks: The Complete Mystery (on blu-ray only)...

http://www.sho.com/video/53260/twin-peaks-marathon-spot

There will likely be no traditional trailer for the new series. That is in keeping with Lynch and Frost understanding that it's best to not give even the remotest hints at what's to come. My understanding, though, is that there MIGHT be a few short moments, here and there, that are released in the coming months. Perhaps these would best be thought of as "teasers" if they do happen.

Keep in mind that there will be an upcoming marathon of Season 2 on Showtime sometime after Season 1 and then an eventual debuting of the prequel film, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, sometime before the debut of the new series.

BTW, the new series will have a cast that includes the following actors (listing the most important ones) from the original casts of Seasons 1, 2, and the film...

Kyle MacLachlan, Sheryl Lee, Richard Beymer, Russ Tamblyn, Sherilyn Fenn, Grace Zabriskie, Ray Wise, Madchen Amick, Harry Goaz, Michael Horse, Miguel Ferrer, David Duchovny, Peggy Lipton, David Lynch, James Marshall, Everett McGill, Kimmy Roberston, Harry Dean Stanton, Warren Frost, David Patrick Kelly, Jan D'Arcy, Wendy Robie, Al Strobel, Carel Struycken, Alicia Witt, Walter Olkewicz, and the late Catherine E. Coulson (RIP "the Log Lady").

Notable NEW to Twin Peaks cast members, joining the new show for the first time...

Laura Dern, Robert Forster, Naomi Watts, Michael Cera, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Tim Roth, John Savage, Amanda Seyfried, Chrysta Bell, Monica Bellucci, Jim Belushi, Richard Chamberlain, Candy Clark, Francesca Eastwood, Balthazar Getty, Ernie Hudson, Ashley Judd, Robert Knepper, Jane Levy, Matthew Lillard, Don Murray, Trent Reznor, Ben Rosenfield, Tom Sizemore, and Eddie Vedder. For anyone smirking at any of these casting choices, I assure you that few, if any, directors have as much history and ability to take what might seem to be an off-beat casting choice and create something/someone brilliant within the context of his works, so take it FWIW.

There are an incredible 217 member of the cast for the new Twin Peaks. Interestingly, there are a TOTAL of 238 "speaking parts" known behind the scenes, which means that either Lynch and Frost have chosen actor(s) to play more than one part, or that there will be surprise cast members whom Lynch has chosen not to reveal... or BOTH. Again, the mystery of this show, even within it's own lore, continues as a part of it's necessary tradition.

For those who have read this long post, thank you for your time.

Twin Peaks is the ONLY television show that I place in as high a place as practically ANY of my all time favorite movies, and for anyone who knows me well, that is about as high praise for a piece of art that I can muster. I hope you check out Twin Peaks from the beginning and that it entertains, fascinates, and enriches your interest in great storytelling and filmed art the way it has for me. If that happens for even one person, I will feel like my sharing has been for a good purpose.

Peace and happy viewing!!
    Last edited by Krank; 01-11-2017 at 10:51 PM.
    "Shut your eyes and you'll burst into flame"

Isn't Twin Peaks the Hooters competitor? I'm pretty sure that I've been dragged there for business lunches, with the "Peaks" acting as natural barriers to distraction, therefore enhancing the business focus.

Re: The Return of the Greatest Television Show of All Time and HOW to Watch It

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Isn't Twin Peaks the Hooters competitor? I'm pretty sure that I've been dragged there for business lunches, with the "Peaks" acting as natural barriers to distraction, therefore enhancing the business focus.
    Sadly, that ridiculous place bears the same name. No connections, though, except I am sure the owner doesn't mind the coincidence. I hate places like Hooters, although I am not "supposed to" due to archaic stupidity about machismo.

You spelled "The Wire" wrong.

In all seriousness, I have never seen it. Is it available on Amazon Prime or Netflix? We have those, although I haven't watched anything on either of those yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    In all seriousness, I have never seen it. Is it available on Amazon Prime or Netflix? We have those, although I haven't watched anything on either of those yet.
    I don't follow Amazon Prime and have never been a Netflix member, but I would be surprised if it were not available through those means. I can't imagine they have no access to Showtime programming... but, again, I don't follow either company and their rules/business models.

I know you can get Showtime with a Roku stick, lol, so why not Amazon and Netflix?

Just edited the OP to add the following about the cast (and, BTW, some may have noticed that Kentuckians Harry Dean Stanton and Ashley Judd are amongst the cast for the new series)...

"There are an incredible 217 member of the cast for the new Twin Peaks. Interestingly, there are a TOTAL of 238 "speaking parts" known behind the scenes, which means that either Lynch and Frost have chosen actor(s) to play more than one part, or that there will be surprise cast members whom Lynch has chosen not to reveal... or BOTH. Again, the mystery of this show, even within it's own lore, continues as a part of it's necessary tradition."

Yeah, I know, like the OP wasn't long enough to begin with, lol.

Oh, I almost forgot... there ARE "teasers", the emphasis being rather strongly on the "denial" aspect of a tease, but I actually love the simplicity of this first one I will post. It includes exactly one actor, Sheryl Lee as "Laura Palmer", no dialogue, and one message, about time, as in how long it's been since the end of Season 2 and where this new part of the story will pick up with the new show. To prove my utter Peaks Geekdom, I will mention that my avatar, currently, is that very same famed Laura Palmer.

I will post a few more after this one. The next teaser after this one is also one of my faves, but this first teaser goes way back to not long after the series' return was first announced by Showtime, so pay no attention to the date "2016". Production delays for necessary reasons pushed it back to this May of 2017...

Here is the second teaser (BTW, a brand NEW teaser just released on the way, a few posts from now)...

Still waiting on the crashed site I follow to get back up with the new teaser, but in the meantime, this one came after the previously posted two...

Here's the cast (original cast and new cast) talking about working on the new series...

Okay, so I found the new teaser to easily link the video here instead of linking to Showtime. The Return of "FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper" as played by Kyle MacLachlan...

I've been to The Chimneys in the Great Smokey Mountains Krank. I think they burnt in the recent fire.

I do love me some nature shows

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
    I've been to The Chimneys in the Great Smokey Mountains Krank. I think they burnt in the recent fire.

I do love me some nature shows

Twin Peaks has beautiful cinematography and natural settings throughout.

Terrible news...

Actor Miguel Ferrer, son of actor Jose Ferrer and actor, singer, and Maysville, Kentucky native, Rosemary Clooney, has died at the age of 61 of throat cancer.

Of his many roles, my favorite of his will always be as FBI Agent Albert Rosenfield, forensics genius, on Twin Peaks. The character was EASILY the most hilarious performer on the show. His persona's most distinctive feature was extreme sarcasm and the Twin Peaks writers always fed him super juicy lines. He was able to finish his work on Twin Peaks and I want to say he was fairly active over the past year on the NCIS show he was better known for in recent years.

Gotta say I am still in a bit of shock over this. Loved that guy.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/celebriti...231314550.html
    Last edited by Krank; 01-19-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Sunday, February 5th, @ 7pm ET, Episode 1, Season 1, aka "The Pilot", the "two-hour" (not as long now, because it was originally broadcast on ABC with commercials of course) premiere of the original series AND Episode 2, "one hour", will be broadcast on Showtime 2 for those interested.

From Showtime's Twitter...

In 1 week, see it from the beginning!
    Watch back-to-back episodes of #TwinPeaks, Sundays at 7/6c on SHO2.
    Last edited by Krank; 01-30-2017 at 10:10 PM.

Showtime has announced it will be adding "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me" to their streaming service on Wednesday, March 1, 2017. This prequel film, MEANT TO BE WATCHED AFTER WATCHING THE FIRST TWO SEASONS of "Twin Peaks" will debut on air on the same day at 8 PM ET/PT.

The most interesting "news" that came with this announcement was from David Lynch, who has kept his promise to reveal NOTHING about the new series other than returning and new cast members. He wanted fans, both new to "Twin Peaks" and old-schoolers, to know that "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me", a film that not ALL "Twin Peaks" fans watched back in the day, "is very much important for this". It is a rare thing, Lynch discussing TP ahead of time, but it's interesting that he is basically making sure to guide viewers to the easiest way to digest the return of the series, by making sure less confusion about the plot comes about, by emphasizing watching the film AFTER the first two seasons and BEFORE Season 3 in May.

So those wanting to check out the show and movie can start watching Season 1, this Sunday, Feb. 5th @ 7pm ET/PT on Showtime 2 (two episodes, in sequence, every Sunday @ 7 pm), and then after finishing Season 2, you can watch "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me".

Then you'll be ready for the debut of the NEW "Twin Peaks" on Sunday, May 21st @ 9 pm ET.

New "old" teaser celebrating the folks of Twin Peaks' LOVE for coffee...

Brief article from Vanity Fair, interviewing Laura Dern, one of the stars of the new Twin Peaks, but despite that brevity, Dern says more about what to expect from the series than anyone else has... more or less (mostly less, i.e there are NO spoilers since she KNOWS nothing of intrinsic plot or scene detail can be revealed).

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...ime-laura-dern

The original series is on Netflix right now. I'm planning on starting it as soon as my son gets done forcing his parents to watch Lemony Snicket with him lol.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    The original series is on Netflix right now. I'm planning on starting it as soon as my son gets done forcing his parents to watch Lemony Snicket with him lol.
    Hope you enjoy it!

I was an avid fan the first time around but that was so long ago it'll be like new.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    I was an avid fan the first time around but that was so long ago it'll be like new.

I recently did a marathon (probably #21 or so, lol) to turn on a younger friend of mine. In the beginning, I could tell that I had slightly worn him out with hyping it up, but by the end of Fire Walk With Me, he was beyond hooked and had become as obsessive about it as I tend to be. At this point, he can't wait to CALL me on THE PHONE (lol, instead of texting, which is just about all he normally does) to tell me the slightest detail about something he "heard" about the show. The reason I bring it up is that, despite having watched it well over 20 times all the way through, I was STILL seeing subtly "new" things that enhance my contemporary viewing experience.

So I have no doubt you will see it again in a whole new light because it's damn near impossible to catch EVERY bit of minutiae the first time through. Let me know (here OR through a PM) "how" you feel about it this time around and/or what you noticed this time that you didn't back in the day.

In this article, Twin Peaks star Sherilyn Fenn (Audrey Horne), reveals a possible future for the series AFTER the 18-episode new series finishes, based on conversations with David Lynch. Basically, if folks dig the new stuff, he might very well create MORE...

http://www.alternativenation.net/dav...imited-series/

Here's a new, typically minimal, non-revealing teaser. There is another new teaser, but ONLY try to find it if you have watched the ENTIRETY of Seasons 1 and 2. Trust me. It's important.

Here is an excerpt of an article interviewing Madchen Amick (Shelley Johnson) about her work on Riverdale AND the new Twin Peaks, of which she is a key cast alum, one of Lynch's favorites. This is the complete excerpt that is only about Twin Peaks...

People have talked for years, basically since it went off the air, about how there needs to be more Twin Peaks, in some form, because the story just did not feel done.

AMICK: Yeah, there’s been rumors about it coming back, this whole time.

When did you realize that it was actually happen, for real?

AMICK: Only when I woke up, on the morning that it was announced, to a slew of text messages and emails on my phone and I was like, “What is going on?!” And then, I started to open them up and it was like, “Is it true?!” All of my Twin Peaks castmates were like, “Madchen, is this true?!” And I was like, “Why are you asking me?! I don’t know!” So then, I immediately got in contact with David Lynch and his simple answer was, “I’ll see you very soon, in the beautiful world of Twin Peaks.” And I was like, “Oh, my gosh, it’s true!” We all found out at the same time everybody else did.

What’s it like, as an actor, to revisit a character like that, so many years later?

AMICK: I wasn’t sure if I should rewatch the series and make sure I remembered where Shelly was, but I decided at the last minute not to because it is 25 years later and she’s gone through a lot in her life. And so, I figured, “You know what? Shelly is still in there, and I’m still going to be able to play that out.” But, I wanted to make it different and make her feel different.

Did you have a moment on set where you felt like you had really stepped back into the character again?

AMICK: Yeah, the first day, I was on a familiar set that I had been on before, and I fought back tears the whole day. It was touching and surreal and really beautiful. That’s when I knew I’d be fine. I literally stepped right back into that same beautiful environment and all of the memories came flooding back in, and then all was right.

Did you shoot the series episodic or like one long movie?

AMICK: He shot it like one gigantic movie, and then it will be cut up into hours. It’s not even going to be episodic. And it’s all a mystery. And none of us were able to read the whole script. We only got our pages and just what was attached to our character. It’s going to be fun!

http://collider.com/madchen-amick-ri...w/#david-lynch
    Last edited by Krank; 02-23-2017 at 04:13 PM.

Love Madchen Amick. Shelly was everyone's favorite character.

New teasers... this one featuring Sheryl Lee (Laura Palmer)...

This new teaser is in the same style as the one previously posted, but this time featuring Kyle MacLachlan (FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper)...

This is a cool little trailer for anyone who has never seen Twin Peaks. It's a few bits and pieces that introduce you to some regular characters from the first two seasons without giving away any significant plot or other details...