Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Fab Five

Merle Haggard dead at 78

The news has tken over most. Radio stations in Birmingham.

Re: Merle Haggard dead at 78

MAMA TRIED
    @edsbs
    Merle Haggard tried to rob a restaurant in broad daylight once and was too drunk to run out the back door. ELITE COUNTRY STATUS FOREVER.
    2:01 PM - 6 Apr 2016

https://mobile.twitter.com/edsbs/sta...2455080960?p=v

RIP.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Fab Five

It is reported now that he was aged 79 years. Somewhat surprisingly Billboard Magazine lists him #1 country music artist of all time. I believe a lot of male fans can connect with Mama tried.

Hard to pick a top 4 to put on Mt. Rushmore. I'd definitely have Hank Sr. and Cash there, then you have about 5-6 for the last 2 slots: Willie, Waylon, Merle, Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline come immediately to mind. One of the greats, for sure.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

The Ostrich
    ‏@ALostrich
    RIP Merle Haggard. 79 years old. He was preceded in death by country music. And unfortunately survived by whatever Florida-Georgia Line is.

https://twitter.com/ALostrich/status/717785935686025217

I read somewhere that today was also his birthday!

Was In hospice care for his pneumonia. According to my daughter he had told his family last week he would die on his birthday.

A true giant of country music. the old man from the mountain going home.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Fab Five

Even the news talk stations are ditching Trump and Cruz to talk about Merle and play his songs.

Now you folks makin lists don't forget that little gal that grew up in Southside Baptist Church here in Birmingham, Emmylou Harris. When she sings Blue Kentucky Girl my heart melts and I just break down in tears. She's in my Top 5 all time.

Given what I see on college campuses these days I think Okie from Muskogee is still quite applicable. Merle said he wrote that song wondering what his dad would say if he showed up in 1969. I wonder what Merle would have to say now the same way.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Given what I see on college campuses these days I think Okie from Muskogee is still quite applicable. Merle said he wrote that song wondering what his dad would say if he showed up in 1969. I wonder what Merle would have to say now the same way.
    For me it's that and "walkin' on the fightin' side of me"

The corporate controlled media has intentionally divided this country along party and philosophical lines for ratings, and control of the populace
    That song applies to all of us and would be a good guideline to re-establish for what patriotism really is.

I hear people talkin' bad,
    About the way they have to live here in this country
    Harpin' on the wars we fight
    And gripin' 'bout the way things oughta be

And I don't mind 'em switchin' sides
    And standin' up for things they believe in
    But when they're runnin' down our country, man
    They're walkin' on the fightin' side of me

Runnin' down a way of life
    Our fightin' men have fought and died to keep

If you don't love it, leave it
    Let this song that I'm singin' be a warnin'
    When you're runnin' down our country, hoss
    You're walkin' on the fightin' side of me

I read about some squirrelly guy
    Who claims that he just don't believe in fightin'
    And I wonder just how long
    The rest of us can count on bein' free

They love our milk and honey
    But they preach about some other way of livin'
    But when they're runnin' down our country, man

Runnin' down the way of life
    Our fightin' men have fought and died to keep

If you don't love it, leave it
    Let this song that I'm singin' be a warnin'
    When you're runnin' down our country, man

Yeah when you're runnin' down our country, hoss

Songwriter: MERLE HAGGARD
    Last edited by kingcat; 04-06-2016 at 10:42 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”

I think most people would have "Ole Possum Jones" in the top 5, although he wasn't one of my favorite singers. I liked Johnny Horton much better.

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Even the news talk stations are ditching Trump and Cruz to talk about Merle and play his songs. Now you folks makin lists don't forget that little gal that grew up in Southside Baptist Church here in Birmingham, Emmylou Harris. When she sings Blue Kentucky Girl my heart melts and I just break down in tears. She's in my Top 5 all time.
    I'd walk all the way from Boulder to Birmingham

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ohyrBDJkksM

Sad songs save me when Im sad. I'd fix his flat tire for this one song alone.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    I'd walk all the way from Boulder to Birmingham
    LOL! It's on my downloaded playlist! She just has the sexiest voice.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ohyrBDJkksM

Sad songs save me when Im sad. I'd fix his flat tire for this one song alone.
    Yep...Id hate to have seen those sweet country pickin' fingers..all covered with oirl

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Hard to pick a top 4 to put on Mt. Rushmore. I'd definitely have Hank Sr. and Cash there, then you have about 5-6 for the last 2 slots: Willie, Waylon, Merle, Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline come immediately to mind. One of the greats, for sure.
    George Jones added to that list for me. Loved George and still do!

Peace

Richard (CW)