Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Re: 2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

I'm looking forward to watching it from my front yard. As far as excuses, there are many:

- Thought I'd be out of town, but will be coming back late tomorrow night
    - Old, fat, and now out of shape. Have not run since August. This is my son's last year for playing soccer, and have made all games except 3, so a lot of traveling and I just wrote off exercise for September and October
    - Have never run farther than 7 miles. I do want to do a half-marathon at some point, but I'm not ready for it.
    - Doctors tell me this will remedy itself when (if?) I lose weight, but I have numbness in my thighs and feet after 2-3 miles of running. I had a nerve conduction test done at St. Vincent's and nerves were fine, so basically, fatness did me in. They said it isn't harmful, but I'm not a fan of running much longer than that.

That's about all the excuses I can concoct for now. Next year hopefully all of those excuses will be gone, though.

2016 Walking, Exercise, Weight Loss Member Challenge Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    Darrell, it appears there will be a Marathon that will go right down your street. What excuse do you have for not running in it?
    Hard to compete while you’re handing out bottles of water… that Darrell and Mrs. Darrell, always thinking of others. Kudos!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

First time posting here. Don’t have much to say how I lost 20+ lbs in the last 5+ months except exercising at the gym on personal, man-to-man training AND changing my diet by limiting fat and carbohydrates, and taking more proteins.

I was at 108kg at 5-7, now down to 97.7 this morning. And I found it would be one of those best days to share this to encourage myself and hopefully some others as we definitely kicked some gator butts for three straight years now!!!

Still a ways to go until 78kg, needing 20 more kgs to hit my ultimate weight goal but 10 more would make a huge difference when we take some memorial photos as my daughter starts going to the elementary school. Well, I have to dress up with the old suit, which I have no confidence to fit into yet. Go Cats and Go Me!! Cheers, everyone!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Outstanding work, ribbonfish! Very inspiring and motivating! Keep it up.

Just got back from London. Amazing city, a lot of fun. In spite of drinking a lot of beer/cider and eating pub food, street food and other delights (about a quarter mile from us, we had a Jewish bakery that's been in business since 1911), I lost 4 lbs. in 11 days. According to my Apple Fitness app, we walked over 80 miles in that time. Lots and lots and lots and lots of walking, even using the Tube and buses. Glad we got our work in and were ready.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 10-10-2023 at 02:24 PM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Fab Five

Went up to Jacksonville, Ala and rode to Piedmont and back. Round trip, it was 27 miles. The return trip was dead into a stiff 12-13 mph wind. It was brutal.
    Real Fan since 1958

Have gained 12 pounds since the summer.

It's not an excuse, but the past two and a half months I have driven thousands and thousands of miles on the road, often late at night even after midnight. My eating habits reflect that, from eating fast food junk to pizzas to snacks to eating candy in the car to help keep me alert (won't-I-greens, smarties, sugar filled empty calories). Not only that, but traveling so much means that my free time has been super limited and I have not been running or exercising at all.

I signed my son and I up for a Thanksgiving morning 5K just to make me have something to try to start to prepare for. Just finished a miserable run short of 5K and I'm really wondering if I can even make it. Have 3 weeks until the day.

I finally figured out the secret to weight loss. 10,000 steps a day (well maybe 5,000 on the weekends) and one day of 20,000 mid-week somewhere. It takes time but I fell so much better. I’m still working on the eating less part lol.

I average over 10,000 steps 6 days a week and have gained 2 lbs. I guess I need to add in that extra 10,000 mid week.

Time to start mulching leaves so that’ll be good for an additional 10k steps at least twice a week.

The secret to my weight loss is don’t eat ice cream every other day.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    I average over 10,000 steps 6 days a week and have gained 2 lbs. I guess I need to add in that extra 10,000 mid week.

Time to start mulching leaves so that’ll be good for an additional 10k steps at least twice a week.

The secret to my weight loss is don’t eat ice cream every other day.

To get healthy, move and exercise*.
    To lose weight, move out of the kitchen*.

I started recording everything I'm eating a couple of days ago to try to lose weight. I signed up my son and me to a 5K trail run Thanksgiving morning, and not only have I gained 12 pounds since the summer, at my age, when I stopped running for a few weeks, I got completely out of shape. I am "running" 15-minute miles right now (Friday/Sunday/today) just so that I can hopefully, in the next 18 days, get so that I don't completely and wholly embarrass myself. It's a small race, and there's a very good chance that I will be the last place male in the race; however, there are usually some females who must walk it, because hopefully, I will finish ahead of them at least. That is, assuming I can finish it. Right now, I'm not sure I can.

*I have to caveat this. My normal, day-to-day work is so sedentary. I "ran" a 5K this morning. Even with that, I am still under 8000 steps for the day. So there's a possibility that those of you who normally get 10,000 steps just through working, adding some exercise, might indeed help hasten the weight loss. For me, that's never really been the case. I can exercise like a fiend and unless I document what I am eating (which has a tendency to keep me away from the Halloween candy, ice cream and salty snacks if I have to tell myself), I don't lose weight.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 11-06-2023 at 06:05 PM.

Came back from our trip, developed a blister on my heel and got lazy. Plus the early darkness is going to work against me. I have to make myself get into the gym.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Spent a week at the beach celebrating my anniversary; let's just say I have some work to do...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

My weekly Fitbit step count report was 70,068 last week. Max day was 12,495, and Saturday I was a turtle (NCAAF) only logged 3044 steps.

Thats pretty average for me, however I was up 8050 steps more than last week… mulching leaves on Sunday, which is a pretty good workout.

My weekly Fitbit step count report was 70,068 last week. Max day was 12,495, and Saturday I was a turtle (NCAAF) only logged 3044 steps.

Thats pretty average for me, however I was up 8050 steps more than last week… mulching leaves on Sunday, which is a pretty good workout.

That's excellent.

You know, the 10,000 steps per day doctrine was originally a marketing campaign in Japan for a pedometer.

Medical researchers show that the "magic" number is actually 7,000 steps per day. It has the same health benefits as 10,000.

Of course, for somebody like me, I probably average 3,000 steps per day unless I exercise. I have my own "goal" of 7,500 steps per day set to try to meet that at least 5 days per week.

I just glanced at my Fitbit, I currently have 9999 steps today… I guess I better get up and walk into the kitchen for a couple of cookies. 🤣

I just glanced at my Fitbit, I currently have 9999 steps today… I guess I better get up and walk into the kitchen for a couple of cookies. 🤣

Lol.

Here's an idea of what my days are like. I had a slow jog (jogged 140 yards, walked 70) of 3.12 miles today.

I'm still under 7500 steps. With that.

New achievement badge… that’s a lot of steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Here's an idea of what my days are like. I had a slow jog (jogged 140 yards, walked 70) of 3.12 miles today.

I'm still under 7500 steps. With that.
    Good on you for being active!. I'm at a dead stop--virus, injuries, now bad habits. Got to break the cycle! Rainy today, but tomorrow's sunny and absolutely getting in a workout.

I'm only active right now because my son and I are going to do a 5k trail run through the woods Thanksgiving morning, as we did last year, and I would like to finish it before it finishes me. So I started being active again out of self-preservation.

It's through the woods and there are some pretty tough hills and really, no trail through most of it. Last year I had not been running, but I was 10 pounds lighter than I am today. It almost did me in.

New achievement badge… that’s a lot of steps.

That's a fur piece, as Jed might've said.

I'm taking a different approach these days.

I've realized that, if Einstein is right, if I just get big enough then everything will actually come to me and I won't have to move.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Just got back from London. Amazing city, a lot of fun. In spite of drinking a lot of beer/cider and eating pub food, street food and other delights (about a quarter mile from us, we had a Jewish bakery that's been in business since 1911), I lost 4 lbs. in 11 days. According to my Apple Fitness app, we walked over 80 miles in that time. Lots and lots and lots and lots of walking, even using the Tube and buses. Glad we got our work in and were ready.
    I have been there to visit a few times, but never found the beer joints nor the tubes. We always go for the chicken festival, and make a side trip to Corbin to visit the cemetery to pay respects to aunt Sally.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I have been there to visit a few times, but never found the beer joints nor the tubes. We always go for the chicken festival, and make a side trip to Corbin to visit the cemetery to pay respects to aunt Sally.
    I see what you did there.

Our 2nd annual Gobble Wobble 5k Trail Run. Now I can enjoy more dressing!
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 11-23-2023 at 11:46 AM.

My son just left to drive back to Jackson for his final semester of undergrad. Having him at home gets me moving. My Garmin goal is 150 "intensity minutes" per week. Sounds like 2-1/2 hours of exercise, but most exercise gives you 2x minutes, at least, most of it, so if you exercise 40 minutes, you'll probably get like 60 "intensity minutes."

This week we played golf once, played disc golf once (SHAC course--LOTS of hills and climbing), ran on treadmill once, and went walking once outside. I'm at 610 intensity minutes for the week.

Last week was not quite as much, but also had a round of golf, treadmill and walking.

Oh, one other thing.

I run when it's convenient for me. Often that's early afternoon, when some people are still having lunch and before I have to finish work for the day. Of course, those are only the days when I work from home, as I can come back, cool off, take a shower or if I need to make phone calls, or send emails or whatever, I can do that before I shower. Anyway, I have one guy I work with at one of my offices--he calls us "partners," but it's his firm and I just do some work with him at his office--who said he'd like to "run" with me. I told him I do the old, slow fat man run, and he said he really does a walk.

How do I gracefully get out of this? You know me--I do this "run/walk" thing a lot of the time where I run less than 0.25 mile, then walk like 0.04 mile, and repeat over and over. I don't want to socialize. I don't want to have a leisurely 45 minute walk or something. I mean, there are times when that's ok. But that's not my exercise.

Weighed yesterday, 226.4. Need to start watching what I eat.

Good first week of walking the line for me, but going on a quick trip to Florida and eating right and exercising while traveling is a tough one.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 01-10-2024 at 09:09 AM.

Good luck to you, BEvans. It is tough, and it gets tougher the more years we put behind us after 40, I think.

For me, full court basketball starts back tonight at 7pm. I've already said I'm happy with the last position on the bench, coming in if somebody needs a one minute breather and will be happy to start that way.

I'll be the 2nd oldest player in our "league" (it's not really a league, just invited players). Three of us are way, way over the hill. The rest, hopefully, will be pretty good players in their 20's and 30's, but no stars, no college player types. Using this as my kickstart back to serious exercising.