Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• J.D. Harmon update

By: LARRY VAUGHT

One of the few feel-good stories about Kentucky’s 2012 football season was the emergence of Paducah Tilghman walk-on cornerback J.D. Harmon.

Not only did he get to play in all 12 games in the 2-10 season, but he started the final three games. He led the team in interceptions (two) and tied for second in pass breakups (four). He had 24 tackles, including seven at Missouri.

Harmon was expected to compete again for playing time, and maybe even a starting spot, for new coach Mark Stoops and help provide depth in a secondary lacking proven playmakers. However, that’s not going to happen. Stoops confirmed earlier this week that Harmon was no longer with the team.

What happened? What did the three-sport standout in high school do to jeopardize his college career after he worked so hard last year to prove that he could play in the Southeastern Conference?

Simple. He didn’t maintain the needed academic standing. He was in the academic doghouse most of the offseason and had to be reinstated to the team earlier this summer. Randy Wyatt, Harmon’s high school coach and a former UK player, said his understanding was that Harmon’s “GPA was not high enough to play this fall.”

Wyatt plans to get with Stoops to see if Harmon is wanted back on the football team or not, something Stoops did not elaborate on earlier this week.

“The kid is plenty smart. He is willing to fix it and get his grades right. I know he can do it, too,” Wyatt said. “Sometimes as a freshman you get caught up in things, and that’s what happened to him. Now I just want to do what it takes to make sure my kid gets in the right place for him and his education.

“It’s one of those unfortunate things. He never had a problem of any kind in high school. He’s a good kid. He just did not have his priorities straight. We had a long conversation and told him he had to understand college football is business first. He’s got to understand if UK does not want him back, he can’t be mad at UK. He has to look first at himself in the mirror. He can’t point fingers. He should never have been in this situation where he had to struggle to get eligible.”

Hopefully Harmon is listening closely to Wyatt. The veteran coach won’t abandon Harmon, but he won’t sugar-coat who is to blame here. Wyatt knows what it takes to stay eligible academically because he did it at Kentucky. Wyatt also knows he’ll not hold any grudge against Stoops or UK no matter what the coach decides.

“Whatever decision the UK staff makes, I support Stoops. I understand the situation,” Wyatt said. “The bottom line is he has to look in the mirror at the end of the day. He’s still my kid and I want him to get his education. But I’ve got to be honest and up front with kids. That’s how they respect you.

“This is a business at UK. It’s not high school. No one has a four-year contract. You have to take care of business every day.”

Wyatt hopes one option will be for Harmon to stay in school at UK, improve his grades and rejoin the football team the second semester. If not, Wyatt will understand Stoops’ decision if Harmon is not allowed to play at UK again.

“There will be no hard feelings on my end. They’ve got to do what they do,” Wyatt said. “It’s a learning lesson for him (Harmon). He should never have been in this situation. Whatever Stoops decides, I’ll respect that and he will still be welcome to recruit any of my players in the future. It’s not Stoops’ fault that he (Harmon) is in this spot.”
    Comments 9 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Hate that for him.

Thanks for getting that update, Larry.
      suncat05 -
      Sounds a little bit like some maturity and work ethic issues. I hope he gets his academics in order and that Coach Stoops will consider giving him a 2nd chance.
      jazyd -
      As. PTHS grad I hate to see this, hope he grows up quick and gets another chance. If not Murray can use him
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Hate that for him.

Thanks for getting that update, Larry.
      I'm not sure I hate it for him as it is of his own making. I hate it for his teammates who were counting on him.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      I'm not sure I hate it for him as it is of his own making. I hate it for his teammates who were counting on him.
      Not arguing the point Mick, and it is true it is of his own making, but I do feel for him as I know how easy it is for some to fall into that trap. I played high school sports, 2 of them, and my parents were very strict and did not offer me a lot of freedom growing up. When I got to college the entire world opened up to me and I was not prepared to handle the freedom. I made some bad decisions and it cost me. I did get it all turned around when I lost eligibility to play either football or baseball. I was not a scholarship player as a freshman but had hopes of being one some day. I never went back to either sport in college.

I do not know if my teenage home life experience mirrors his or not, but I was a National Honor Society student in high school taking college prep courses, and was never in any kind of trouble. It can happen to the best of them.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      I wonder if walk ons, like Harmon, get the same kind of tutoring and support at the CATs center as scholarship guys? I doubt that they do. If they do, then there's little excuse for him not making it. If not, well, a whole lot of kids with nearly full time jobs, which college football is, would and do have a lot of trouble early in college.
      Kacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
      I wonder if walk ons, like Harmon, get the same kind of tutoring and support at the CATs center as scholarship guys? I doubt that they do. If they do, then there's little excuse for him not making it. If not, well, a whole lot of kids with nearly full time jobs, which college football is, would and do have a lot of trouble early in college.
      They do get the same academic support.
      Darrell KSR -
      I always hate it for a kid who squanders an opportunity.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kacat View Post
      They do get the same academic support.
      Then JD screwed up both his academics and his chance to go on scholarship next year, which he was probably on track to get with his on field play.
  • KSR Twitter Feed