Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Nate Willis: "I want to be the best at my position"

He’s had to overcome not playing football his last two years of high school and needing two more online summer courses to get eligible at the University of Kentucky, but junior college cornerback Nate Willis says he has plenty of motivation to succeed.

He’s from Pahokee, Fla., and says the “violence in our small, little city is outrageous” even though the area has produced numerous top-line athletes.

“I want to make it out and I have the motivation to make it out,” said Willis, who had 19 tackles, one interception and five pass breakups in 2012 for Arizona Western College. “I know how to deal with hard times. It has made me have a strong mind and learn to cope with different situations.

“My time in junior college gave me a different outlook on the game. In high school, you just play off talent. College is really different. It helped me get smarter and gain knowledge of the game and get stronger. And nothing is given to you in junior college like it is in Division I. You have to buy this, buy that. You probably have 500 fans at a game. But it makes you work harder and fight to get to that next level that you dream about. Every JUCO player has the goal to get out and make the next level. Now I want to make the Arizona Western coaches proud and help motivate players there when they see me on TV playing at Kentucky.”

Willis didn’t spend the second semester at Arizona Western for financial reasons. He tried taking seven online courses to complete his degree, but passed only five. Now he’s finishing the final two courses he needs so he can report to UK in August.

“I was like trying to figure out what I needed to be doing and really had a big class load,” Willis, who once thought he might have to go to a Division II school even after signing with UK because of his academic and financial situation, said. “I was home doing classes and dealing with every day life at home. It’s kind of rough in my neighborhood and then not having money to get books for all my classes. But I am slowly getting it done. I am almost done with one class and my last final is the fifth of August. I am trying to take the final early so I can get on up there (to Kentucky).

“I will probably miss a couple of days of training camp, but I’ve talked to the coaches. They want me there, and that makes me feel good. I want to help my team. I want to go bowling this year. That is a definite team goal. I am putting a lot on myself. I know that. But I am coming in bigger, faster, stronger. I want to be one of the top defensive backs. Actually, I want to be the No. 1 defensive back in college football this year because I know my team is counting on me.”

Willis doesn’t mind putting pressure on himself.

“That’s just the way I am. That’s the way I have always been and always will be. I always want to be the best at what I do,” he said. “I spend time in the film room just getting to know the game like the back of my hand. I want to be the best I can at my position. I played receiver my whole life, but also some safety and cornerback. I’ve caught on to the position well. But I know I can learn more.”

Willis was considered one of the top 100 junior-college prospects: 24/7 Sports (46th), Rivals (54th) and ESPN (69th). Mississippi, Arkansas, Kansas State and Baylor were among the many schools that offered even though he did not play football his final two years at Pahokee (Fla.) High School to concentrate on basketball.

Arizona Western recruited one of Willis’ teammates and he told them he had a “buddy” who was a good player. Willis sent a film and got the offer he needed.

“I actually played football my ninth grade year and half my 10th grade year,” Willis said. “But I was a basketball player, or thought I was. I was going to play college basketball, but the school I went to, it was hard to get recruited. My friend had me send my football film to Arizona Western, and they called and offered a partial scholarship. I got in shape and went up there. I was the last defensive back on the (depth) list before the season kicked off. I worked my way up and was the starter before the first game and got offered a full scholarship that I really needed.”

Even though he has limited high school experience, Willis says he “knows the game” because he has been playing football since he was 4 years old.

“Football was always kind of easy for me. It comes naturally,” he said.

He was a four-sport athlete as he also played baseball and ran track.

“I was MVP at several baseball camps, but it was hard for me to hit the ball. I was great in the outfield. I could jump over anything to catch the ball, but I was not a great hitter,” he said. “Basketball was my first love, but then I finally figured out how hard it was to get to the NBA for basketball. I am taking the football route and it has paid off for me and hopefully will pay off for Kentucky when I get there, too.”

His college defensive coordinator believes that.

“He is a tremendous skill player with a lot of versatility,” Western Arizona defensive coordinator Jerry Dominguez said. “He returned kicks, played free safety and started at cornerback for us. He’s a very explosive player. One thing that just jumps out is how fast and how quick he is. I think his best football is still in front of him. He’s a guy who will only get better and may well have a chance to play in the NFL.”

Willis says he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.43 seconds and the 10-yard dash in 1.1 seconds the last time he was timed.

“I have a speed coach and I am working on my legs, so I might be a little faster now,” he said. “But the main thing is I know I can cover and make plays to help my team win.”
    Comments 1 Comment
      CitizenBBN -
      Great piece larry. I was rooting for him before, now I'm really pulling for him to qualify and get on a different life path. It's amazing what some of these guys have to overcome.
  • KSR Twitter Feed