Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Conversation with 4-star Georgia RB Stanley Williams

He grew up a Georgia fan, so when he got a scholarship offer from the Bulldogs when he was only a freshman, running back Stanley Williams of George Walton Academy in Monroe, Ga., accepted it.

That was in July, 2011. However, the four-star running back has now de-committed from Georgie, re-opened his recruitment and has Kentucky as one of several schools he’s got high interest in now

“I dreamed of playing for Georgia and after I ran a 4.28 (second 40-yard dash) my freshman year, me and my family thought committing was the right thing to do,” said Williams.

“But now I am opening everything back up. We all thought that would be best and not just have my eyes set on one decision and not see what my other options are.”

He now weighs about 195 — not 175 like he did when he ran the 4.28 — but he has maintained his speed and has run a 4.31 40 recently. That’s why he has plenty of options with scholarship offers from Arizona, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, LSU, Middle Tennessee, Mississippi State, Missouri, Notre Dame, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Wisconsin and West Virginia.

He's ranked as the No. 8 all-purpose back in the 2014 recruiting class and the No. 27 player in Georgia, according to the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

The 175-pound Williams isn’t sure about his summer visits yet.

“I have some places like Clemson, West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Wisconsin and Arizona I want to see. Those are the basic schools,” he said. “It’s going to be a busy summer trying to get in shape for football with my workouts and get in the visits I want. But I’ll be able to manage it all.”

He said Kentucky “definitely” will get a visit.

“I am trying to set out a date. But I will be at Kentucky. Kentucky should be ready because I will be there,” Williams said.

He says he has built a “relationship” with UK secondary coach Bradley Dale Peveto.

“I talk to him once or twice a week. We talk football. I also talk to (offensive coordinator) Neal Brown and try to build a relationship with him. I am getting to know him better,” Williams said.

Williams admits that UK started recruiting him “a little late” due to the firing of coach Joker Phillips and hiring of new coach Mark Stoops.

“It is what it is,” Williams said. “Coach Peveto is really good. He is very fired up and passionate about what he does. Me and him have that in common. We give 100 percent and show intensity in all we do whether it is recruiting or in practice or a game. We are a lot alike.

It helps Kentucky that Williams sees himself as a “good fit” in Brown’s spread offense.

“I think I am more of a spread running back. I can play in any offense. I don’t prefer any particular offense as long as I am helping my team win,” Williams said. “But I do see myself as a good fit in his offense as far as helping the team and making plays, catching the ball, running the ball and blocking. Those are all things I mainly do already.”

He knows he has been labelled an “all-purpose back” but he’s working as a slot receiver more now. He says Peveto was impressed with his receiving skills when he watched him during spring practice.

“Colleges tell me they are going to move me all over and not just play me in one position,” Williams said. “The slot and split end is a new addition to my game. I am working on my routes and catching the ball and working on all my techniques.”
    Florida State was recruiting Williams when Stoops was defensive coordinator there. Brown was recruiting him for Texas Tech before he returned to UK.

“I know that when they came to Kentucky that they had to get things right with those players first,” Williams said. “I understood all they had to go through to get everything set for Kentucky. That does not have any affect on me.”

He’s trying to “take it slow” with his recruiting now and isn’t sure when he’ll make another commitment.

“I have my visits coming up. If I feel I am ready to make a decision after that, then I will. If I am still not sure what school is best, then I will take more time and make sure the decision is right for me, my family, the school and my career. I won’t rush again.”
    Comments 1 Comment
      Darrell KSR -
      Great interview, Larry.

Football recruiting is a lot more fun these days to follow than it used to be.
  • KSR Twitter Feed