Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Q&A with Marcus Lee from Chicago

MARCUS LEE

Q. Who is the one guy of the Kentucky recruits that you are most excited to see that guy play or can’t wait to play with?

A. I definitely can’t wait to see James Young play this year. He has been kind of hurt this week. I have always been playing with the twins so it will be great to see how James Young goes through games.

Q. What is goal for the team next year?

A. Our main goal is just to mesh as quickly as possible and hopefully not lose a game.

Q. Is 40-0 a goal?

A. Yea. That is definitely one of my goals. I hate losing.

Q. You think that is a realistic goal? No team has gone 40-0 and no team has gone undefeated in 25 or 30 years.

A. We have already broken a couple of records and we are ready to break a couple more.

Q. How good will the team is if Wiggins comes in?

A. I think it would be unfair. They would probably kick us out of the NCAA and probably put us into the NBA. Just kidding but it would be unfair.

Q. Where do you predict Wiggins will go?

A. I have no idea.

Q. What is the one UK opponent or game on the schedule you look forward to next year?

A. My favorite game is always Louisville vs. Kentucky.

Q. What do you expect practice to be like at KY next year?

A. I think practices will be worse than the games. It could be more competitive than the games. Everybody will be going all out for a spot.

Q. Which college or NBA player do you feel like you most play like?

A. I think I am more like Tim Duncan. Smooth and laid back kind of guy. He is definitely one of my favorite players.

Q. Who is your favorite team?

A. Definitely Miami or the Spurs. The Spurs are old school. They still play old school and they get it done.

Q. What is the best part of your game?

A. My timing and blocking along with my presence on the court.

Q. Tell a little about your volleyball career?

A. My volleyball career is extremely important to me. It is my I.D. Without volleyball I would probably be insane. It teaches me how to jump. It showed me how to be a blocker. It is just a place where I can be myself and not worry about getting a scholarship.

Q. How long did you play volleyball vs. basketball?

A. I played volleyball for 6 years. I have played basketball since I was 6 or 7.

Q. How good of a volleyball player are you? Are you as good a volleyball player as basketball player?

A. I think I am. My next goal is to be All American volleyball player.

Q. Where were some of the volleyball scholarship offers you had? Fullerton?

A. For volleyball I had Stanford, Fullerton, UC Irvine, UC San Diego. I had a lot of the top volleyball teams come talk to me.

Q. How much will you be at the UK volleyball games? They don’t have men’s volleyball. Will you be at the women’s games a lot?

A. Yea. Definitely. That will be one of my close friends. If I could I would probably go practice with them.

Q. Are you a middle blocker?

A. Yes. Middle blocker.

Q. Do you play on the beach?

A. Yea. Beach volleyball is the best. It is a lot hotter.

Q. What is something you have learned in these last 3 days about the guys you are going to be playing with at KY?

A. I have learned that the twins never stop battling. They battle on and off the court. Off the court they are still human and 18. Just jokesters.

Q. Any events stand out to you being more fun than any others?

A. My favorite event was going to the Ronald McDonald House. It was really fun. I absolutely loved it.

Q. Playing against all these other great players, do you feel like you belong here?

A. Yea I definitely feel like I belong here. Sometimes you get a little skeptical but then when you get on the court and actually feel like I can do this.

Q. Talk a little about your decision for college.

A. I thought it was a real great decision for me to battle with people during practice, being in a place where it is straight basketball. At my high school it was not as spirited so transitioning from that to a spirited school like KY brought me closer to I am glad about the decision.

Q. Has Coach Cal talked about the role he sees you having next year?

A. When I was at the practice for Big blue Madness, we were talking about how this year that did not have anybody that was very vocal or up paced during practice or games. I talked about how I could bring something like that so we would not be that way again. I know that is something I will have to do.

Q. Some of the players are saying there may be some fights in practice. Do you believe that could happen?

A. Definitely. With people that hate losing, there are bound to be some fights. Especially with the big men and the guards. We will just go at it so hard in practice that I would not doubt that there would be fights.

Q. Are you looking forward to these practices?

A. I am definitely looking forward to these battles with all these great players and just trying to get better. I think everybody just knows what is going to happen. We all realize that practices are going to be harder than games.

Q. Is this week the first time you have ever played with the twins?

A. No. I have played with them for 6 years. I go to Texas every summer. One of my best friends from Oakland moved. When I went out to visit him we went to the John Lucas camp. That is where we first met them. So I just came back every year and got to play with them more and more.

Q. Did you always want to go where they went?

A. I actually did not know if I wanted to play with anybody. I just took everyday day by day and learned about each school
    Comments 4 Comments
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Larry, another great job......can you expand on your comments in another thread about Marcus being someone we are really going to love?
      cattails -
      You would think this guy would get Ky Sportswriter award sometime wouldn't you????
      Darrell KSR -
      Wow, love this interview. Great stuff.
      Darrell KSR -
      Don't know if you saw it, but UK's volleyball coach responded to my tweet of this article by saying that Marcus Lee was going to be one of their (UK volleyball)'s biggest fans next year.

Really like Coach Skinner. Actually like the UK coaching staff in almost all sports--very much "UK-oriented," as opposed to "just" their sport oriented.
  • KSR Twitter Feed