Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Things to watch for: Louisville Edition

By: Tyler Adkins

Sports people always say that rivalry games are the most difficult to predict. Emotions are always running high and players have a tendency to either rise to the occasion (Josh Harrellson and Kidd-Gilchrist), or wilt (Peyton Siva). Nevertheless, rivalry games are what make sports great, and there isn’t a better rivalry in the country than UK-UL. With that said, we all know this game is going to be intense, so let’s take a look at my things to watch for during the Louisville game:

*Intensity

Look, this team has not exactly been the most intense team we have seen under Calipari. They have struggled to rebound, defend and score at times and most of those issues have revolved around the team not giving all out effort. This game will be a beat-down if UK isn’t ready to give everything they have. UL is on a 4 game skid to the Cats, and they will be amped up from the get go. The crowd is going to be wild and the players are going to be wild, we know this. But, UK has to be able to match their intensity for 40 minutes if they want to be able to pull out one of the bigger upsets of the Calipari era (he hasn’t been an underdog much). I am looking at Poythress and Goodwin as the two guys that absolutely need to be playing every possession like it is the last if UK is going to win. I am confident the other players will be able to step up, but those two have to be on their game like they haven’t been all season long.

*Rebounding

Louisville is big, strong and physical around the glass. They will trying to feast on the offensive glass against UK the way they did in the Final Four game. UK has to be able to keep Louisville off the glass. Louisville doesn’t shoot the ball well, so limiting their second chance opportunities will be a key factor in how the game plays out. If UK can rebound the ball well, then Louisville’s poor shooting will be a major factor in the game, and it can tip the scales to UK.

*Offense

UK has a lot of offensive weapons, but it seems like this team struggles to get them all clicking. This isn’t a game where UK is going to score 80; UL is too good defensively for that. UK has to find a way to move the ball and get inside of that 2-3 match-up zone that Pitino has perfected over the past few years. The zone UL plays can make a team just pass the ball around the perimeter and shoot when the shot clock is expiring. UK has to be able to get the ball out in transition and score. When that doesn’t work, they have to be able to get to the middle of that zone and use Mays or Poythress to work the mid-range game like they can. If UK can keep the ball moving and attack the zone, the zone will soften and allow for some open looks from the perimeter.

*Maturity

There can’t be a player on the UK team that hangs his head during the game is he isn’t playing well. This has been the tendency and on the road against Louisville it will be impossible for UK to win if this occurs. Players have to realize that every shot won’t go in and if they aren’t scoring they can find other ways to contribute. UK will be in tough spots during this game because UL is such a good team. Seeing how this team responds to the adversity during the game will tell us a lot about how good this team can be come March. It will also be a key factor in the game.

These few things are my things to watch for during the game. The team has been through Camp Cal and that is typically when Calipari teams have made huge strides since he has been at UK. Will this team follow that pattern? The game Saturday will give us an answer to that question.

I hate Louisville, you hate Louisville, and let’s all take a deep breath and get ready for what will be a battle in the YUM! Center.
    Comments 2 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Well done. 15 years ago, who would have predicted that a Pitino team would be running a zone defense on a regular basis?

You mentioned attacking the zone, and teams that are good against a zone do 2 things well. Shoot well from the outside AND constantly, on every possession in the half court, attack the zone like it was going to suffocate them if the did not
      tyleradkins -
      This team has a tendency to not attack and just stand around too much. If that happens the zone will eat them up. And I completely agree with you, when they get open 3's they must knock them down
  • KSR Twitter Feed