Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky Baseball This Week May 6-12

Well, we had an outstanding weekend, defeating #2 Arkansas, 2-1 in our weekend series to snap a two-weekend losing streak in which we went 1-2 both weekends. Not a disaster, and D1Baseball had Kentucky pegged as the #5 National Seed after defeating Arkansas – Saturday. Obviously, we did nothing to hurt that by winning again on Sunday.

A lot of baseball still yet to be played, including 8 regular-season games, one weekend series at home against SEC opponent and one weekend series away against another SEC opponent. And then, of course the SEC Tournament before NCAA Selections are made. It is so nice to be talking about the possibility of a National seed this time of year when we began the season not even predicted to be in the NCAA Tournament field.

It will be a fairly busy week, with only today off before we get back into action on the road tomorrow afternoon at 3:00 PM with the short trip to Cincinnati to play Xavier. I guess it's sort of a businessman special with the mid-afternoon contest. We then travel to Gainesville, Florida to face the Florida Gators in our final SEC road series.

Peeking ahead to the final regular-season week, we will face Wright State at Kentucky Proud Park next Tuesday at 6:30 PM, and then play the final SEC series, hosting Vanderbilt on a Thursday-Friday-Saturday schedule before the SEC Tournament begins on Tuesday.

We (Kentucky 18-6) have a one-game lead for the SEC regular-season championship over Tennessee (17-7) and Arkansas (17-7) and a two-game lead over Texas A&M (16-8), who just dropped two games at home to LSU, fighting for a chance at a postseason opportunity. Texas A&M went into that contest ranked #1 in the country, with Arkansas ranked #2 in the country, and both teams lost their series, likely vaulting Tennessee to #1 this week.

Speaking of the SEC Tournament, the top four teams in the SEC will get a Tuesday bye, avoiding that single elimination day and being positioned for their first game on Wednesday in the double elimination portion of the Tournament. The fifth-place team in the SEC is currently Mississippi State, holding a 14-10 record, so we have a nice 4-game lead over the fifth-place team, meaning that barring a total collapse, we should at least earn a bye. I always think that's so much better for fans of a team to know that their baseball team will at least play two games in the SEC Tournament. That's a long trip for just one game for many.

I will post the new baseball rankings this week as they come in in the post following this one.
    Comments 2 Comments
      UKFlounder -
      �� SCHEDULE UPDATE ��

Friday's series opener at Florida has been moved up to 1 p.m. ET due to expected inclement weather in the evening.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
      �� SCHEDULE UPDATE ��

Friday's series opener at Florida has been moved up to 1 p.m. ET due to expected inclement weather in the evening.
      Thanks!

I have to pick something up for my daughter Friday afternoon, but I'll see if I can scoot out early, pick it up, and then come home and watch the game. Looks like we'll be playing three afternoon contests.
  • KSR Twitter Feed