Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky versus Missouri Baseball Friday

For the baseball fans, join me in watching or following Kentucky tonight rather than watching basketball. Weekend's schedule is below.

Our Friday night's normal starter, Travis Smith, has struggled all season. Kentucky has elected not to name a starting pitcher for tonight's game. Nick seems to go a little longer with pitchers than I would, and I wanted to see him make that change prior to now, but I acknowledge sometimes it pays off being a little more patient. Maybe having somebody else start and allow him to come out of the bullpen, or just mentally rest, can help bring him back to where he was last season.

Missouri is probably the worst team in the Southeastern Conference for baseball (as well as basketball, but we don't need to go there), and with Kentucky's home sweep over a good Georgia team last weekend, we have a golden opportunity to get off to a great start in SEC play.

Kentucky
    Game 1: TBA
    Game 2: Gr. LHP Dom Niman (4-1, 3.51 ERA)
    Game 3: Jr. RHP Mason Moore (4-0, 2.28 ERA)

Missouri
    Game 1: So. RHP Logan Lunceford (So., 1-1, 9.68 ERA)
    Game 2: Jr. LHP Javyn Pimental (Jr., 0-0, 2.04 ERA)
    Game 3: TBA

Friday, March 22
    *#21 Kentucky at Missouri - 7 p.m. [SECN+]

Saturday, March 23
    *#21 Kentucky at Missouri - 4 p.m. [SECN+]

Sunday, March 24
    *#21 Kentucky at Missouri - 12 p.m. [SECN]
    Comments 60 Comments
      Doc -
      Overtime
      Darrell KSR -
      McCoy, Smith and Waldschmidt will bat this inning with Pitre following. Hope we at least see all of those this inning. If we can get one of the first two batters on, that will bring the top-of-the-line up with a runner on base and only one out.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      Overtime
      We need the Elam Ending!
      Darrell KSR -
      Cats threaten with a single up the middle by Grant Smith, a Crittenbergr stolen base (he pinch ran), and a walk, but an infield fly rule pop up in a strikeout snuffed the threat.

Kentucky 3, Missouri 3 | M10
      BigBluePappy -
      Enjoying the game thread, gentlemen.
      Bring them home!
      GBB!
      Darrell KSR -
      Burkes hit in the groin on another bounced pitch from Hummel. Hummel's curve just dips and often finds soil. Announcer, "He got hit in the Minnesota Twins."

Defensively, Reuben Church came in and he will play third base while Daly moves from third base to shortstop, where he played at Texas.

Fly ball to right field for out number one. Hummel has dribbled more balls on the ground than DJ Wagner. Strike out swinging for out number two. Groundout to second base for out number three.

I don't know who will assume mound duties for Kentucky in the 11th inning, but Hummel normally does not pitch much more than this, if this. Of course, I think he's capable but I just don't know.

Kentucky 3, Missouri 3 | E10
      Darrell KSR -
      For reference, Hummel has thrown 3.1 innings of 0 hits, 1 walk, 6 strike out, 0 runs baseball. He has thrown 54 pitches.
      Darrell KSR -
      Nick Lopez leading off, batting .426 for UK. Last year he batted about 150 points less for USC. Daly will follow, then Nicholson.

Nice job of hitting as he goes opposite way past the shortstop, went with the outside pitch, line drive base hit to put the go-ahead run on first base.

Lopez's moustache "has his own area code." Announcers getting giddy as the game goes late. Not slurring their words, though, so they're not Harry Caray'ing.

Daly squares early, pulls it back, and slaps it in the gap in RCF, Lopez to 3rd. Runners on 2nd and 3rd, nobody out.

Nicholson intentionally walked. Bases now loaded, nobody out.

Bases loaded for McCarthy. HBP on first pitch!!! Cats take the lead, 4-3. Bases still loaded, nobody out. James McCoy now at the plate. Come on, guys, let's bust this wide open.

Kentucky 4, Missouri 3 | T11, 0 outs
      Darrell KSR -
      McCoy needs to put something in the outfield. Lefty hitting McCoy facing righty, hits one deep to left field just short of warning track, easily scores the 5th run, and runner on 2nd also tags and goes to 3rd, good baserunning.

Church up, lays down a bunt, pitcher fields, NOBODY COVERING FIRST BASE, BASE HIT, ANOTHER RUN SCORES!

6-3 UK. Still one out, runners on 1st and 2nd.

Kentucky 6, Missouri 3 | T11, 1 out
      Doc -
      Add 2 on a double to left
      Darrell KSR -
      Mizzou tries to get McCarthy twice at 2nd base, close both times, EXCEPT 2nd time they threw into center field, and McCarthy scoots to 3rd. Now he's there and can score with a SAC fly or a bunt. Waldschmidt at the plate, HBP, bases loaded.

Emilien Pitre up, and the lefty has a 6-game hit streak at risk, 0 hits today.

UNTIL NOW, SON OF A GUN HE SLAPS ONE OPPOSITE WAY DOWN LEFT FIELD LINE, DOUBLE, 2 MORE RUNS SCORE.

(I'm excited.)

Kentucky 8, Missouri 3 | T11, 1 out
      Darrell KSR -
      Runners on 2nd and 3rd, still just 1 out. Base hit could score 2 more.

Burkes at the plate, is 1-4 on the night. Grounds to 2nd, there is no force play and only play to 1st, RBI groundout adds another. Lopez grounds out.

Kentucky 9, Missouri 3 | M11
      Darrell KSR -
      Evan Byers will relieve Hummel. Good timing for UK to score all those runs, as Hummel really went as far as Nick would want him to pitch.

Ground ball to 1st for out # 1.

UK with the shift on, 3 infielders on 3rd base side, batter hits where 2nd baseman normally plays, slowly, and 2nd baseman comes from other side of the bag, fields, throws, but too late. Shift cost UK there, base hit.

Ball hit sharply to 3rd base, throws to 2nd for out # 2, throw to 1st in dirt and not caught, runner there safe. Runner not being held-I always hate that--he says, fine, I'll steal 2nd, and does (catcher's indifference, no official stolen base), base hit to CF scores a run that shouldn't have been a run. Guess that's not a big deal, but it just seems like a bad idea to give up a base/force play just to give a few feet for the first baseman (who should be guarding the line anyway). Nobody listens to me.

Struck him out, out # 3.

THAT'S A WINNER! Cats go to 4-0 in the SEC, 7 straight wins overall.

FINAL: Kentucky 9, Missouri 4
      Darrell KSR -
      Hummel gets the win.

Evan Byers has a 1.0 inning, 2 hits, 1 earned run night.

UK pitchers struck out 15 (Pooser, 7 in 6 innings, and Hummel, 6 in 3.1 innings mainly).

Daly with 2 hits and 3 RBIs, Lopez with 2 hits, Pitre with only 1 hit but 2 RBIs.
      catmanjack -
      Nice win
      MickintheHam -
      Thanks for all of the updates. It is appreciated. Nice to have some good news.
      dan_bgblue -
      Just finished reading this thread. Great job or reporting Darrell. Thanks for the game call. All the bouncing balls at the plate served up by Mr Hummel had me on the edge of my seat until the Bats opened up for the rally for the win.
      GhettoBird -
      Good win
      Catfan73 -
      Go Blue!!
      Darrell KSR -
      Fun to watch them last night. Thought we were going to give it away and they just kept at it. The 11th inning was just a thing of joy.
  • KSR Twitter Feed