Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky versus Arkansas Report Card

By: RONALD "DOC" BALL

General Impressions General impression is the best team won. No other way to put it. I don't think the most talented team won but do think the team that used its talent better won. I think the team that hustled won. I think the team that was more focused won. I think the team that was better coach won, better prepared won, played smarter won. All those were checks in Arkansas' column. I also come to realize that UK isn't a team, but rather a collection of players wearing the same colored uniforms and trying to score at the same basket. It was an entertaining first half....then something unwatchable, something depressing and demeaning to UK fans, and probably demeaning to the players themselves. I can't imagine they are proud of a 15 point home loss, even to a real good team. UK's effort and execution was subpar, and the grades will reflect it.

Jacob Toppin C+ Played 37 minutes, tallied 11 points on 4-9 shooting, with a measly 3-8 from the line. His -14 differential was bad but not the worse on the team. He led the team in rebounds with 8, tied the team lead with bad plays. 2 turnovers and 2 assists. IMO the one play that sticks in my mind was the inbounds play where he in bounded while the AR player was lurking and stole the ball. For me that was the signature play, the turning point of the first half.

Cason Wallace A- IMO was the only UK players on the floor who did not throw in the towel. He played 39 minutes, and I mean played them all. His 24 points was the high scorer overall. He hit all his free throws which put him in rare air on a team that can't make them. He was one of two players to shoot over 50% from the field by hitting 10-17. He ran the team solo. His 5 turnovers matched his 5 assists. Started the second half lackadaisical, along with several others which started the down slide but I bumped his grade for effort and heart.

Oscar Tshiebwe D Frankly, he got punked again by a bigger player who he has no idea how to attack. It's simple keep doing what isn't working. Against bigs who are not mobile but are physical, Oscar gets manhandled. Of course lots of criticism of his defense but its the same he has played for all year. He semi switches on the pick and roll regardless of what his teammate does. He pseudoguards his man while pseudoguarding the other offense player which results in him guarding nobody and his teammate are lost because he is guarding nobody. It seen by every coach and every fan. And our coach can't or won't address it. Guess when Cal says he can't hide your deficiencies, he is talking about Oscar's. As for tonight, probably a low point in his career. 32 minutes managed to hit 3-6 shots for 7 points to match his 7 rebounds. His -13 differential was telling.

Sahvir Wheeler I missed him as I think he would have helped

Antonio Reeves C Is hard to give a "shooting" guard who shoots 33% (4-12) any higher grade. He hit 1 of his 4 treys but both his FT's to achieve 11 points. Drove to the glass too many times, but failed to get many picks from the guys wearing similar jerseys. Question...how does one play 30 minutes of basketball and get no rebounds? I mean maybe one falls your way sometimes. They say rebounds are a stat of hustle and effort. Read what you want into that.

Chris Livingston B His -15 differential equalled CJ's as team worse. That said, I felt he had a solid game. 13 points in 33 minutes, on 5-10 shooting, including 2-3 from long range. His 5 rebounds were needed to. He showed good effort and hustle. He is a player who is making progress which is better late than never.

CJ Fredrick D As stated -15 differential but unlike Chis, he provided no points...zero. His lone good stat was an assist. He matched Antonio's rebounding avoidance with zero. Went 0-4 shooting, including 0-2 from long range. All that in 21 minutes.

Lance Ware DNP

Adou Thiero DNP

Ugonna Onyenso DNP

Daimion Collins A- For Collins, a very solid first half. Out performed expectation by going 3-3 shooting, 1-2 from the free throw line in 6 minutes. As a reward, he got 2 minutes in the second half. Finished with 7 points on 3-4 shooting thus the other player to top 50% from the field, and grabbed 2 rebounds to boot. UK actually ran a few lobs for him, one he scored on, one he tripped over a foot on, and one a bad pass. Throw in the bad charging call on a confident drive. On a night where Oscar sucked, perhaps a bit more Collins was in order. Now I'm not one of those fans who are going to say Collins needs 25 minutes, or he is the key to success, etc... but I will say he was showing signs of having a good game, and was given the chance with Oscars poor showing, yet the coach forgot about him.

Coaching F Maybe figuring out something new, maybe playing players who are contributing in a given game over somebody having an off game might be something to look into rather than new ways to express your anger or displeasure...... or just garner more attention would be in order. Once again he presents a team unprepared and underachieving. UK is no longer feared, even in Rupp. Teams come in and bitch slap us in front of our fans, in our house. Its been that way for longer than I want to admit. Its time to put up or shut up. Its time to drop the stupid sideline antics that are embarrassing, time to drop the coach speak and downtalking to the fans. It's time to do what the school pays you to do. In other words its time for him to earn his damn money.

Officials C I am sure many felt they were worse than I did. Maybe its my low expectations. Some missed noncalls which I can live with but also some called nonfouls which for me is unforgivable.

Commentators C Its Dykes and Ravich. You know what you are getting

Other We had no players with a positive differential, none. Only Cason had a positive net points (pts scored less points given up. Differs from differential with is team points - opposing team points). So on a matchup basis, only Wallace "outscored" his man. We won the rebounds by 26-31 but lost assist, steal, turnovers and blocks. They dominated us in the paint by a score of 46 - 28 and outshot us 63% to 47%. This is a team when 2 starters produce little, the others can't make it up, especially when the coach makes no effort to solve the issue. Aside from TN, this team hasn't won a significant game. Playing a quality team, we shrivel like George Castanza in a pool. But unlike shrinkage, its not funny. And it is also not UK basketball at the level we are used to.
  • KSR Twitter Feed