Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Kentucky Basketball to Host Telethon and Open Practice for Kentucky Flood Relief

Full proceeds will benefit the Kentucky Flood Relief

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Humbled by the devastation of the flooding in the state of Kentucky, the UK men’s basketball team, head coach John Calipari and Joe and Kelly Craft – in conjunction with the American Red Cross, LEX 18 and Rupp Arena at Central Bank Center – will host an open practice and a telethon Tuesday from 5-8 p.m. ET on LEX 18.

Doors to Rupp Arena will open at 5 p.m. on Tuesday and donations for the Kentucky Flood Relief will be accepted upon entry. One hundred percent of the proceeds will go to the American Red Cross to benefit the immediate needs of Kentuckians impacted by the floods.

The Kentucky Flood Relief telethon will air on LEX 18, as members of the UK men’s basketball team will take phone calls and donations as well as participate in an open practice. Special guests are expected to participate in the show.

Donations for the Kentucky Flood Relief can begin now:

Website -- https://www.redcross.org/donate/cm/wlextv-pub.html/

Mail a check to:
    American Red Cross Bluegrass Chapter
    Attn: Kentucky Floods
    1450 Newtown Pike
    Lexington, KY 40511

Phone number to call in and donate: 859.787.0909

Use this QR code:

“Our players approached me about helping our state,” UK head coach John Calipari said. “They know that our state is hurting again, and they wanted to do anything they could to help. It was their idea to hold an open practice, and the Red Cross, LEX 18 and Rupp Arena were quick to offer assistance to help make this happen. Joe and Kelly Craft will help host the event as they have in the past. I know we’ve asked a lot in the last few months, but it’s time to help our fellow Kentuckians again with immediate ways to make a difference. The team and I are looking forward to doing what we can, and I know the support of a number of others will mark another unbelievable testament to the kind hearts of the people of this state.”

Fans should use the High Street entrances with free parking available in the High Street across from Rupp Arena.

Seating is not reserved and will be open on a first-come-first-serve basis. The team is expected to begin the telethon taking calls and donations and will take the court at approximately 6:30 p.m.

UK has held four previous telethons under Calipari in conjunction with the Red Cross to assist with natural disasters. In 2010, Kentucky and Calipari used a telethon to raise more than $1 million for victims of the devastating earthquake in Haiti. UK followed that up with another telethon in 2012 that generated $1 million for victims of Superstorm Sandy. In 2017, the team hosted a telethon for Hurricane Harvey victims and raised more than $1 million. In December, UK raised more than $5 million in total efforts for Western Kentucky after portions of the state were impacted by deadly tornadoes. Calipari also helped raise funds for West Liberty, Kentucky, after tornadoes ravaged the town in 2012.

For more information from the American Red Cross, please visit redcross.org or contact Lynne Washbish at Lynne.Washbish@redcross.org.

The Kentucky Flood Relief Telethon will air on LEX 18, as well as live on LEX18.com.
    Comments 6 Comments
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by ukpumacat View Post
      For the past couple of years, when I have been critical of Cal...some on here have questioned why I don't want him fired. Things like this are at the very top of that list.
      He has his short-comings....this is not one of them.
      The state of KY absolutely needs Cal. He gets it done during the most difficult times in the state when some of the people that were elected to do so offer up little more than thanking those making efforts and support for the people on the ground. He is an absolute master at crisis management, and that actually is very significant when you are talking about the state's highest paid public official.
      Critter -
      I wished it went somewhere local. Red Cross received over $70 million for the tornadoes in Western Kentucky but you never here of it. The payouts were ridiculously low considering what they got.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      For the past couple of years, when I have been critical of Cal...some on here have questioned why I don't want him fired. Things like this are at the very top of that list.
      Yep. He's a good man.
      ukpumacat -
      Sahvir Wheeler says the Blue-White game will be played in Eastern Kentucky. Likely Pikeville.

That's great stuff.
      Bakert -
      He may not be able to beat St Peter's but he certainly learned something from St Peter (among others).
  • KSR Twitter Feed