Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Stupp, Harper Selected on Final Day of MLB Draft

Kentucky had six total players, two signees selected, including four pitchers

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Pitchers Cole Stupp and Daniel Harper each were selected on the final day of the 2022 Major League Baseball Draft, with Stupp going to Detroit in the 12th round and Harper to Philadelphia in the 17th.

UK now has had 31 total draft picks under head coach Nick Mingione and his staff since 2017.

The Wildcats selected on Monday included right-handed pitchers Tyler Guilfoil (8th round, Houston) and Sean Harney (8th, Tampa Bay), and infielder Chase Estep (9th, New York Mets).

Stupp, a junior from Milton, Georgia, was UK’s Friday night starter for two years before an elbow injury prematurely ended his 2022 campaign. He had a career 5.48 earned run average in 25 games that belied his effectiveness. His tenacity set the tone for the Cats and he owned a 124:31 strikeout:walk ratio.

Harper, a senior from Fairway, Kansas, is second on the school’s all-time appearances list with 100 and capped his career with a splendid season, going 4-1 with a save and 2.72 ERA in 26 games. In Southeastern Conference play he was nearly unhittable, posting a 1.37 ERA in 19.2 innings.

Signee Caden Dana was selected in the 11th round by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Ryan Ritter IF Colorado 4th Round
    Tyler Guilfoil RHP Houston 8th Round
    Sean Harney RHP Tampa Bay 8th Round
    Chase Estep IF New York Mets 9th Round
    Cole Stupp RHP Detroit 12th Round
    Daniel Harper RHP Philadelphia 17th Round
    Comments 10 Comments
      catmanjack -
      I had heard of another top pitcher looking at UK maybe from Ohio, could be a 23 or 24 recruit.
      Darrell KSR -
      I have not been unhappy with UK baseball recruiting at all. I don't have any stats in front of me, and they aren't easy to locate like football and basketball, but I suspect UK's recruiting classes have been better than Tennessee's the last 5 years (as a whole.) We're getting players good enough to compete. Certainly good enough to make the NCAA Tournament, and in my pea brain, good enough to win Regionals and compete to win Super Regionals. Our deficiencies have been elsewhere.

Edit...that's not to say that we can't do better in recruiting, and I'm also not naive enough to think that we have top 10 talent on the team, either. But something in between that and a team that doesn't get a NCAA at-large bid is certainly the sweet spot, and in my book, closer to top 10 than the non-bid level.
      BigBluePappy -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      I have not been unhappy with UK baseball recruiting at all. I don't have any stats in front of me, and they aren't easy to locate like football and basketball, but I suspect UK's recruiting classes have been better than Tennessee's the last 5 years (as a whole.) We're getting players good enough to compete. Certainly good enough to make the NCAA Tournament, and in my pea brain, good enough to win Regionals and compete to win Super Regionals. Our deficiencies have been elsewhere.

Edit...that's not to say that we can't do better in recruiting, and I'm also not naive enough to think that we have top 10 talent on the team, either. But something in between that and a team that doesn't get a NCAA at-large bid is certainly the sweet spot, and in my book, closer to top 10 than the non-bid level.
      Lack of patience (undisciplined) at the plate on too many occasions - it had gotten a little better by years end
      Lack of concentration in field yielding to too many times old Elmer creeps into the box score. This too had seemed to be on a positive trend by years end. Physical errors like trying to get to a ball that just gets past the glove; that is OK. Throwing behind the runner or a total brain-fart moment is not.
      Just to borrow a phrase from Coach Cal,Buzzard's Luck in regards to the pitching with injuries...
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by catmanjack View Post
      Sure hoping Caden makes it to UK.
      He's going to sign with the Angels.
      catmanjack -
      Really, glad for him but was hoping he would join UK.
      Darrell KSR -
      “It was crazy,” Caden said. “The Angels reached out (Monday) night about this whole thing, and as soon as I heard them talking about my brother and making him money, too, that’s when I kind of freaked out. I have to take this. I’m so glad that I get to play in the same organization as my brother.”

Caden, an All-State first-team selection and Kentucky commit, told NJ Advance Media he’s planning to sign with the Angels after his brother was drafted.

https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports/...-brothers.html
      Darrell KSR -
      In addition to Caden signing, Alonzo Rubalcaba has signed with Detroit, Tyler Guilfoil has signed with Houston, and Daniel Harper has signed with Philadelphia.
      catmanjack -
      The brother has to be a cool deal, good luck to both.
      catmanjack -
      There is a part of the draft that does hurt the recruiting.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      In addition to Caden signing, Alonzo Rubalcaba has signed with Detroit, Tyler Guilfoil has signed with Houston, and Daniel Harper has signed with Philadelphia.

That is a lot of talent to replace, especially when it is added to the ones named earlier.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post