Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

  • VAUGHT: "Beat up" Hagans less than full strength vs Michigan State

    By LARRY VAUGHT

    A "beat up" Ashton Hagans didn't quite have the opening game for Kentucky against Michigan State that he expected. He certainly played solid defense against outstanding Michigan State point guard Cassius Winston in UK's win over the No. 1 Spartans Tuesday night in New York during his 29 minutes on the court but other parts of his game were off.

    He had 11 points but missed more shots (6) than he made (3). He had as many turnovers (3) as assists (3). He managed just two rebounds and one steal, not the numbers would one expect from last year's SEC Defensive Player of the Year.

    At the end of the game, Hagans was not on the court to lead coach John Calipari's team because the coach said after the game he was "beat up and hurt" before the game even started.

    "His leg has been bothering him for about four or five days. But he’s such – I don’t know if you saw whoever we played. He got kneed, kicked in the head. And if you saw it you would’ve said ‘wow’ and he just kinda bounced up," Calipari said.

    "He is really tough. For him to say his leg is bothering him, and we’ve had the MRI, we’ve had everything done. There’s nothing there. It’s more of a strain, a muscle thing. And I just kept telling him, ‘Take yourself out, tell me when you’re ready to go.’

    "That last free throw he made, he looked at me like ‘take me out.’ And EJ ran out. So he stayed on the court. But he’s a really mentally, physically tough kid.”
    Attachment 8521
    Comments 8 Comments
    1. Hoss's Avatar
      Hoss -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      By LARRY VAUGHT

      A "beat up" Ashton Hagans didn't quite have the opening game for Kentucky against Michigan State that he expected. He certainly played solid defense against outstanding Michigan State point guard Cassius Winston in UK's win over the No. 1 Spartans Tuesday night in New York during his 29 minutes on the court but other parts of his game were off.

      He had 11 points but missed more shots (6) than he made (3). He had as many turnovers (3) as assists (3). He managed just two rebounds and one steal, not the numbers would one expect from last year's SEC Defensive Player of the Year.

      At the end of the game, Hagans was not on the court to lead coach John Calipari's team because the coach said after the game he was "beat up and hurt" before the game even started.

      "His leg has been bothering him for about four or five days. But he’s such – I don’t know if you saw whoever we played. He got kneed, kicked in the head. And if you saw it you would’ve said ‘wow’ and he just kinda bounced up," Calipari said.

      "He is really tough. For him to say his leg is bothering him, and we’ve had the MRI, we’ve had everything done. There’s nothing there. It’s more of a strain, a muscle thing. And I just kept telling him, ‘Take yourself out, tell me when you’re ready to go.’

      "That last free throw he made, he looked at me like ‘take me out.’ And EJ ran out. So he stayed on the court. But he’s a really mentally, physically tough kid.”
      Attachment 8521
      Love him! He's a dawg...and we need that! I hope he comes back for year 3!
    1. ETWNAPPEL's Avatar
      ETWNAPPEL -
      Saw a video on twitter yesterday . After Maxey hit the big shot Hagans immediately covered Winston so tight Michigan State could not get the ball in and had to blow their last timeout. Great play on his part at a time he could have been celebrating. I thought he had a great game.
    1. bigsky's Avatar
      bigsky -
      Need to rest him some and get him healthy. Let Maxey feast and learn. Work on getting At least one of those two frosh forwards comfortable blocking out and getting rebounds and plying d.
    1. dan_bgblue's Avatar
      dan_bgblue -
      At least one of those two frosh forwards comfortable blocking out and getting rebounds and plying d.


      Gonna need one or both of them to play well sooner rather than later. Conference play will be her before we realize how close it is and their 10 fouls along with some good defense and a few made buckets are gonna be important
    1. UKFlounder's Avatar
      UKFlounder -
      We only have 3 guards - hard to get any very much rest.

      I’m concerned that will have an effect in March

      Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
      Need to rest him some and get him healthy. Let Maxey feast and learn. Work on getting At least one of those two frosh forwards comfortable blocking out and getting rebounds and plying d.
    1. bigsky's Avatar
      bigsky -
      I guess that is where JuZang plays a lot, altho he looks slow on defense. This is where we miss the transfers. If only we had Brad Calipari ! Just kidding. But yeah, and the kentucky kid who is hurt.
    1. dtalbersjr's Avatar
      dtalbersjr -
      Quote Originally Posted by ETWNAPPEL View Post
      Saw a video on twitter yesterday . After Maxey hit the big shot Hagans immediately covered Winston so tight Michigan State could not get the ball in and had to blow their last timeout. Great play on his part at a time he could have been celebrating. I thought he had a great game.
      Noticed the same thing. And he forced one earlier in the game that the official just flat wasn't looking at. Very heady plays.