Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Practice Notes 9/26/12

By: LONNY DEMAREE

* Question to Mike Summers: Coach you said last year that in Darrian Miller, in more than thirty years of offensive line coaching you have never had a true freshman play for you in the offensive line. In freshman Jordan Swindle you have another offensive lineman that played extensively last week against Florida; How do you compare the two at the same stag?
    * Answer: Lonny, I was having such a good day and you had to bring that up (laughs). You can find positives in everything and a player that's able to step in and play offensive line is a positive and say a lot for a player to be able to be in the mix, so to speak. But also the negative is that's not a good situation to have to have a true freshman pressed into action like that. It's concerning to have that happen but I glad we had Darrian when it needed to happen and glad we've got Jordan if the case arises again."

* Question to Swindle: You got plenty reps down at Florida and how much did you get to play?
    * Answer: I got to play about half a game. I got a couple series in the second quarter and got most of the reps in the second half. He said initially he had to get adjusted to the speed of the game but after he got settled down he was alright. He said he has been getting reps in practice with the first team but Mitchell has been practicing and he most likely will get the start against South Carolina. "I'm really lucky to get playing time this early,"Swindle said. "I came up here with the intention of busting my but just to get some playing time. I thought I'd be red shirted but to get some playing time is a surprise to me."

* Max Smith said he and trainer Jim (Madaleno) talked and he wasn't at first going until today but he settled on a Tuesday/Thursday throwing scheduled. So he will throw again tomorrow and hopefully to be ready for the game Saturday. Was he sore from throwing yesterday? "I was a little bit sore but it wasn't to bad. It more like I have a seperated shoulder." How did you feel like you threw the ball yesterday? "I felt I threw it pretty well. It was painful so maybe I wasn't able to snap on some balls like I wanted to. I made every throw, a little bit inaccurate but I'll be alright; It'll all come." Max said that he will continue to take hit on that shoulder the rest of the season so it will probably be sore all year. He said he'll get through this season and explore some other possible action at the end of the season.

* Joker Phillips was asked what the deciding factor was in placing Jalen
    Whitlow ahead of Patrick Towles after fall practice? The coach said - "We felt like we had to make a decision. We felt like we had to go with Whitlow. He looked better in the two scrimmages. he moved the team. He scored." Joker said he could move around in the pocket well and that helps him to escape the pressure. He sad Towles hadn't been under center any and was uncomfortable initially and by the time he got comfortable Whitlow had moved ahead of Towles. Asked did he take into account the future? "Definitely - you've got to," Phillips said. "I think in time he's going to be a great quarterback. There's no question about that especially in this offense. He can throw it. Protections is always going to be something that's going to give a young guy a hard time. And the other guy can move around and make plays with his feet. Is he a "Wildcat-guy"? I'm not sure he's that. Just because he can move around, to be a Wildcat guy you better be physical. That's why you see so many running backs being the Wildcat guy. Cam Newton was quaterback in a running back's body. Randall Cobb was a bigger thicker guy."

* Philips said SC has two first rounders at the ends on defense and one in the middle. So they are leading the league in sacks with four man pressure and also stopping the run. They are giving up 67-yards a game. He said their's front seven are all seniors and a couple of their juniors are prep school guys so they are (Donte') Rumph's age. So they've got grown men in there."

* We asked Jalen Whitlow about his few plays he got in Florida?
    * "it was pretty cool," he said. Was he nervous? "Not really nervous, just anxious to get out there and do my best. It helped my confidence. It was not really performance that gave me confidence. Just being out there in game action let me know I can play at this level." He said even though on signing day all of the web sites had his listed as "Athlete" but it was always his intention to be a quarterback here. He said he got most of the reps today with the 1's and he felt like he did pretty good. He said he's just got to keep on learning.
    Comments 6 Comments
      cattails -
      Doesn't sound good for Max.
      Darrell KSR -
      Thanks, Lonny. Good variety of stuff there.
      jazyd -
      Think the defensive players from USC read that, think they will tee off on Sat and try to drive that right shoulder into the ground? I would take that bet before I would take any points and UK

Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
      Doesn't sound good for Max.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      Have always and still believe that the reason Whitlow is playing instead of Towles is to ensure that Towles redshirts and keeps another year between him and Max. JMO but that's the best thing for both Patrick and the program.

That way Whitlow can learn the Wildcat and get reps at WR in the spring and the next staff can develop Towles to compete with Max at QB and Towles is guaranteed to have two years of being the most experienced QB on campus. .

As far as the 'controversy' over what the Towles expected, big whoop. Every coach tells every kid they'll get a chance to compete. Phil Fulmer recruited six tailbacks a year at UT forever and half always ended up at linebacker. Saban does the same thing with wide receivers. Rich Brooks switched Tony Dixon to corner the first day at practice IIRC. of course, Dixon switched back later.

Maybe the Towles family would be better off looking at it in terms that he's too talented to waste a year getting maybe 20 snaps all year. I can't imagine any scenario where he would be better than Smith this soon. So why burn his redshirt?

I know I look at it that way. Joker burns redshirts like no one I've ever seen. I'm thrilled that Towles isn't playing. Wasting a year of a kid with that talent makes me ill.
      Darrell KSR -
      Good perspective, SSB.
      Terry Blue -
      Sensible post SSB, but don't you know there's a conspiracy theory that the coaches are intentionally sitting Pat, to make sure he transfers? Or that our coaches should actually listen to fans that never get to watch practice before making their personnel decisions? Besides taking that into consideration yours was a good post
  • KSR Twitter Feed