Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Post Practice Presser 9/13/12

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Joker was standing at the podium and it was on concrete and he as standing on the grass which made him shorter than even Herald-Header beat writer Jennifer Smith. "This is very uncomfortable," he said when the setup made him look shorter on TV camera's. "This is bull-crap." However rather than re-arranging the podium he continued on."

1) He explained his reasoning for cutting out the Sunday teleconference and at least this week the after Tuesday post-practice gathering. "I talk to you guy seven days a week (during the season)," the coach lamented, "during two-a-day I got a chance to walk from the field over here (overhang behind the Nutter Practice Facility) to hang out with my guys. I never get to see them in the locker room and the feeling I got, it felt really good to do that. It's not about you guys - It's being able to hang out with these guys and spend some time. Sundays and Mondays it's the same interview."

2) The question was asked about having a go-to guy in the wide receiving corp? Phillips said -"You can take away a go-to guy. I watched Clemson take away Calvin Johnson (Georgia Tech) right before we played them in the bowl game in '07. He said then they can away Keenan Burton but they can't take away Dicky Lyons, Stevie Johnson, or Jacob Tamme. I just don't care for the term go-to guy. "Hey, get open. Go to the guy the reads tell you so. I stress to our receivers there's no go-to guy. I never heard Aaron Boyd referred to as a go-to guy.

3) He said it does motovate the receiver to work harder. He for them to find their niche to get themselves on the field. Aaron Boyd is blocking his butt off. "What ever you do well, whether it's the deep ball - you do well adjusting to the deep ball. There's going to be more opportunities to catch more balls."

4) The coach was asked what the difference in WKU's Kewan Jakes was? "He's a much effiicient passer," Phillips said. "I think with Rainey gone they want to get the ball to the (Jack) Doyle kid more. They want to get the ball to one of their better kids so you see them throw the ball more.

5) Is WKU going to come in here thinking they can win? "No doubt," the coach strongly emphasized. "They came into Alabama last week thinking they can win. I showed by the way they played so we've got to get ourselves prepared. They think and we think we can win. It's going to be a physical game."

6) He said they hit some during the week - More on Tuesday than the other day. We try to do that every week. "I've heard some places and seen some to where they where you goet a little bit soft in the gun (shotgun). So we don't want that to happen here. We stage some drills that is down hill run game. We want to be pyhsical and we have that part covered."

6) Alluding to the long snapper in the Oakland Raider/San Diego game on Monday where the long-snapper for the Raiders lost their starter and the next guy litterally rolled one back to the punter. Phillips said he had a good one and a good backup. He said he was talking to Tony (Neely, SID for football) that there should be a ALL-SEC category for long snappers." He said that skill is very hard and they've been fortunate.

7) On his punter Landon Foster, has he reached expectation as this point? Phillips expressed - "He's even better than he thought at this time in his career. The first thing is he's a lot faster in his get-off than I thought a freshman would be. He's got really good hang time. He's punting in the right direction which us them a chance to cover. I'm really excited about watching him every week. I hope he doesn't have to punt as much but I'm really comfortable every time he goes out on the field."

8) On linebacker Kahlid Henderson Phillips said he sees a difference in him since he's gotten a chance to play and sees more playing time coming his way. He said that happen in the case of Max (Smith) last year, too. You put more time into it, like film study. He said that's not especially anything they do as coaches, that's human nature.
    Comments 1 Comment
      Darrell KSR -
      Great stuff, Lonny.
  • KSR Twitter Feed