Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Hawkins ready to "fight" for playing time

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Since John Calipari has made it clear to junior Dominique Hawkins that he has “fight” to earn playing time, Hawkins spent the summer doing just that.

Teammates talked about in preseason interviews how much more aggressive Hawkins was going to the basket during summer play.

“I felt like I needed to be more aggressive and get my confidence up and see the ball go through the hoop. I had been shooting 3’s more than driving, so I feel better about my complete game,” said Hawkins, who will compete with Tyler Ulis, Jamal Murray, Isaiah Briscoe and Charles Matthews for playing time.

Here’s more of what Hawkins had to say during his preseason interviews.

Question: Do you ever feel overwhelmed by the talent and competition for playing time that Calipari continues to bring in?
    Hawkins: “I knew coming here that coach Cal would get the best point guards in the country. If I want to play, I just have to show him I really want to play and keep working on it.”

Question: What was it like going against Briscoe most of the summer?
    Hawkins:”Actually we compete against each other in pickup games really well. We see who gets to the basket and has the better game. On the court, he is a dog. He is hard to guard when he is trying to get to the basket. He is so strong and finishes so well. Off the court, he is a great guy. He is funny and has a great personality.”

Question: Is Briscoe stronger than Andrew Harrison, UK’s starting point guard the last two years?
    Hawkins: “That is tough. They might be the same strength to be honest. It feels like when I guard him I am guarding Andrew. But Isaiah is a great finisher.”

Question: What teammate do you miss the most from last year’s 38-1 team?
    Hawkins: “I miss them all. I can’t pick just one. I stay in contact with them all I can. It’s not like contact every day, but I stay in touch and everybody seems to be doing well and having fun and they say they are competing against old people now (in the NBA). The brotherhood we had last year is never going to go away. We all cared about each other. We basically loved each other. We were with each other 24/7. Coach Cal had us on curfew, so we were in our rooms trying to find something to entertain us. We feel that friendship will never end.”

Question: Will the players you spent the last two years with ever get over not winning a national championship?
    Hawkins: “I feel like it depends on their NBA careers. If they win a NBA championship, they probably will. For the ones that don’t, they probably will not and will look back and say even more they wish we had won. I want to win one and hopefully I will get the opportunity to do that this year. I try to put last year out of my mind. It was unbelievable season. definitely one of best seasons I will ever be part of.”

Question: Which teammate do you especially like being around this year?
    Hawkins: “With Tyler and Alex (Poythress), I have that bond from last year. They are always fun to be around and I know them well. I am getting to know these freshmen as we go. It’s possible to have a bond like we did last year as a team, but you have to put a lot of effort into it when you have newcomers. Plus, you have to get to know them as the year goes on.
    “I have never been around an Australian (like teammate Isaac Humphries). This is my first one. He is a really nice guy. Has a great personality but is very shy. I remember when I was a freshman I was shy. Hopefully we can get him out of that. I like the way he plays. He is really fundamentally sound. He is very strong. People are saying he is just like (former Wildcat) Josh Harrellson and I can agree with that. His corner and mid-range shots go in.”

Question: How have you changed as a player and person over the last two years?
    Hawkins: “I feel like I have changed more as a person. Coming in I was not much of a people person. I have learned that if you are on my team, I will talk and goof around with you. I was too shy to be a people person at first. Being around my freshman class I didn’t talk to them at first. Jon Hood basically made me talk to him and then I started talking to everybody midseason. I am more of a people person now.”

Question: What makes you such a fan favorite?
    Hawkins: “I guess ... I don’t know. Maybe being at home does that. I guess when I smile you can’t tell I am shy but back in the locker room I was shy. I am not like that now. I am smiling more.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed