Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Mark Stoops on coaching philosophy differences: Brown v Dawson; Stoops v Stoops

Question: What is the difference philosophy-wise between Mark and Bob Stoops?

Stoops: “Really, not much. We have both been defensive guys. We both firmly believe in playing great defense but we both hire offenses that we think are difficult. But the game is changing even though we are defensive guys.”

Question: What’s the biggest difference between Neal Brown’s offense and Shannon Dawson’s offense?

Stoops: “I wanted to keep a lot of similarities. I was very happy with Neal and the style and what he did. He was up against it. It was tough sledding that first year and second year some playmakers and success. I really enjoyed working with Neal and he helped us in a lot of ways building a foundation offensively, helping me build relationships in Kentucky because he had such good Kentucky ties and a really good handle on the players in the state which helped us get on them early and recruit them early and still is to this day. We have really done well in this state and Neal did a lot of good things.

“With Shannon I wanted to stay with that same tree of coaches. I think the difference will be is that at West Virginia the last two years they have committed to running the ball a little different. We were committed, too, but the way they run the ball created lanes down the field. At times I said, ‘Run the ball forward.’ It happens. I been a defensive coordinator when we couldn’t stop anybody. I believed wholeheartedly in what we did with Neal and believe wholeheartedly in what we are doing with Shannon. But the difference is more of a different style in run game that eliminates just a fraction of pressure off the quarterback at times because it clears the field a little bit.”
  • KSR Twitter Feed