Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Vols no match for Cats

By: LARRY VAUGHT

KNOXVILLE — For 31 minutes, Tennessee coach Donnie Tyndall watched his team play No. 1 Kentucky on near even terms before UK went on an 18-4 run to finish the game and win 66-48 Tuesday night.

The Volunteers used their normal full-court press that sometimes wears down opponents, but Tyndall knew UK’s depth would offset that potential problem.

"I just don't think there will be too many teams (that can were UK down). I watched the game against Louisville that is arguably the best pressing team in the country. They couldn't wear them down,” said the Tennessee coach. “I just don't think you are going to wear that team down with as many weapons as they have.

“They keep fresh bodies in there. They do a great job of rotating them in and out. We didn't try to force tempo or trap a whole bunch just because we didn't want them to play advantage basketball out of the traps. We tried to wear on them but they probably wore on us at the end of the day."

Tyndall said the game got away from Tennessee quickly after the Vols cut the lead to 48-44 with just over nine minutes to play.

“I think if I remember correctly, we make them miss, they offensive rebound, scored, cut it to six, then we come right back down and throw it away, where they can lay it in the goal, where it goes four to eight. If we rebound that ball and they don’t lay it in, it stays at four and we got a chance to cut it to one or two,” Tyndall said.

“But give Kentucky credit; they made stops when they had to. I thought our guards did a pretty good job at trying to drive the ball. When you get in the paint, you have to penetrate to pass and their length is so big, sometimes you can’t see the open man. So if you try to force it over top of him, that’s when they change and challenge shots.”

Tyndall said his young players were no match physically for Kentucky’s freshmen.

“They’re just young and have to get stronger, and that’s the difference between their freshman and our freshman, is that those guys already have NBA bodies and our guys have to grow and mature,” the Tennessee coach said.

Tyndall said Monday he thought Kentucky might have the most talented college basketball team ever, a statement he didn’t back off of after facing UK.

“That’s a really talented team and that’s a well-coached team. They not only play together, they play hard, physical. They are multi talented. They have guards who can make plays, they have shooters, and they obviously have great size and length,” Tyndall said. “We didn’t shoot the ball very well. All that is credited to Kentucky because they are a heck of a defensive team at every position, challenges and bothers shots, and certainly bothered us some tonight.”

Tennessee was only 9-for-24 from the field and missed all 10 3-point shots it attempted. For the game, the Vols were 2-for-17 from 3-point range.

“You’re not going to beat that team if you don’t shoot the ball from behind the 3- point line because they don’t give you enough baskets around the rim or 2-point opportunities,” Tyndall said.

Tyndall said his team made mistakes, but he had no problem with his team’s effort.

“When you go get 19 offensive rebounds against a team of that size, length and athleticism that shows you are playing hard. Just at times we were down and we weren't quite big enough to finish possessions at both ends of the floor,” the coach said.
    Comments 1 Comment
      dan_bgblue -
      “You’re not going to beat that team if you don’t shoot the ball from behind the 3- point line because they don’t give you enough baskets around the rim or 2-point opportunities,” Tyndall said.

Yup
  • KSR Twitter Feed