Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• MIssed free throws in losses not that different from overall season mark

Kentucky missed 14 of 40 free throws in Tuesday’s loss at Arkansas, a number that was right in line with what the Wildcats shot at the foul line this year.

The 26 of 40 mark was 65 percent, and UK is hitting 65.9 percent (356 of 540) going into Saturday’s game with Tennessee.

Missed free throws have been a problem for the Wildcats in all four losses. Kentucky was 20-for-36 at the line against Michigan State, 12-for-23 against Baylor and 29-for-43 against North Carolina. That means in UK’s four losses — which have been by a combined 16 points — the Cats have missed 55 foul shots.

However, they shot 61.3 percent from the foul line in those losses, which is not that far off their season average.

Kentucky also was only 16 of 30 at the line against Louisville, a 53 percent mark, but won that game.

Three UK starters — Aaron Harrison (76.6), Julius Randle (71.0) and Andrew Harrison (71.0) — are shooting over 71 percent at the line. However, Willie Cauley-Stein is at 45.7 percent, Alex Poythress 51.9, Dakari Johnson 48.4 and Dominique Hawkins 50.0
    Comments 3 Comments
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      Actually, I disagree.

I think when you're talking about a combined 16 pts in 4 losses, and a ton of attempts, 61% is quite different from 65%, that's about 6 total pts, just on percentage, which doesn't seem like a lot. However, if you factor in when those misses were on front end's of 1 and 1's and the opposing team scores of those misses, you're talking about some pretty big swings. The 2 missed FT's by Lee in the Arky game helped them to a 7 pt "play".

I feel that every loss that we have this season is when we shoot at or below or average. We need to start shooting better.
      Darrell KSR -
      UK needs to maximize their advantage at the FT line. Going to the line a lot does not give a blank check to miss a lot.

We also need to "hit the duck." Shooting 52% against Baylor and 53% against Louisville, but hitting 70% against Eastern Michigan and 76% against Providence isn't hitting the duck, despite the overall average.

Against Arkansas, we hit the duck. 70% would have been better than 65%, and 75% even better than that.

The glaring issue against Arkansas is one that has plagued us all year. This Kentucky team creates fewer turnovers than any other Calipari-coached team at Kentucky (and probably in his career). They are way, way under what his average is at Kentucky.

Against Arkansas, we had 3 steals, and overall pressured Arkansas into turning the ball over a grand total of 6 times.

Arkansas, on the other hand, had 10 steals and forced us into 17 turnovers.

Those 11 extra possessions were the game-changer.

I'm still not sure why Kentucky can't create turnovers. I'm beginning to think those who have suggested we just don't have enough speed are correct.
      CitizenBBN -
      We don't have speed, but cal spent this season teaching defense with their hands literally tied behind their back b/c of the new rules. Steals are created by swiping at the ball, and he coached them to not do that b/c he doesn't want the fouls and his core guys out of the game. The problem is it's not being called that way all the time, leaving chances for other teams to reach in against us.

I don't think that's all of it, but I think it's a lot of it. Davis had a ton of poke away steals reaching around his guy. We aren't doing that, whether that's coaching or just this group of players is tough to say not being there in practice, but I think a combo of both is likely.

As for FTs we hit our average against the Hogs, which with this average means your FTs are giving you no added margin of error in other parts of your game. If we don't come through on shots or turnover margin or rebounds we're in trouble b/c FTs are a liability at worst and a wash at best despite going to the line more than anyone else.

A Duke team with this many attempts would be devouring teams. We can't turn it into an advantage. The only real advantage we have is we rebound like mad, esp. offensively. If it weren't for that we'd be in huge trouble. If we could turn one more aspect of the game into an advantage we'd be in good shape.
  • KSR Twitter Feed