Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Home defense shotgun

Re: Home defense shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Dan, I ended up with the Walther Creed, and I'm very content with it. Beyond content, very happy in fact. It is substituting for a niche I thought I needed (higher capacity reliable 9mm. I have a nice S&W 39-2 9mm, but single stack 8 shot mags).

But if they had the PSA Glock clone then that's likely what I would have ended up with. I am looking forward to some of you getting it and letting me know what I'm missing.
    Have you found any downsides to the Creed? Misfires, trigger snags, empty jams? Anything?

I do not think the PSA9 is going to come to market anytime soon and the list is $309.00 for the Walther. Major difference is bobbed hammer vs striker fire and I do not think that will bother me at all.

Thanks.
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 05-04-2020 at 08:13 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Have you found any downsides to the Creed? Misfires, trigger snags, empty jams? Anything?

I do not think the PSA9 is going to come to market anytime soon and the list is $309.00 for the Walther. Major difference is bobbed hammer vs striker fire and I do not think that will bother me at all.

Thanks.
    The Ruger Security 9 is a compact size 9 mm that has a low $300 price tag, sometimes upper $200 prices. The S&W SD9VE, which has a lot of the Glock 19 in it, runs around $289-$299. The Taurus G3, which is a really nice striker fire polymer compact runs $250, or less when on sale.

I got my wife a Taurus G3, she really liked the way it felt in her hand. It really is a comfortable fit. It comes with a 15 round mag and a 17 round mag.

Like the Walther Creed these all get good reviews.

Dan, here is Hickock45’s video review of the Walther Creed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cslHRLOEc8

Thanks Keith. I will watch the Hickock vid later today. A deal breaker for me is any gun with a barrel length less than 4 inches. Seems like most of the compact 9mm are 3 to 3 1/4 inches
    seeya
    dan

Rupp's Runt

Really like his ball cap there! 👍
    And oh yeah, nice gun review too! 😂

Thanks Keith. I will watch the Hickock vid later today. A deal breaker for me is any gun with a barrel length less than 4 inches. Seems like most of the compact 9mm are 3 to 3 1/4 inches
    The shorter barrels are sub compact. The compact barrel sizes run around 4 inches, and magazines are typically 15 rounds. Typically the Glock 19 is the comparative model used most often for these.

Ruger is a bit different In their sizing, the Security 9 has a barrel length of 4 inches, the Security 9c (C for compact) has a barrel length of 3.42”, putting it in the subcompact size.

The 15 round magazines give you three fingers on the grip, vs two for the subcompact. The 4 inch barrel makes it easier to aim accurately.

Here is a list of some of the 4 inch barrels, 15 round mags that I have researched:
    CZ P10C
    Taurus G3
    Walther Creed
    Walther PPQ
    Glock 19
    S&W M&P 9 2.0 Compact (there are two versions the 11683 has the four inch barrel with no slide safety)
    S&W SD9VE
    Ruger Security 9
    Ruger SR9
    Springfield XD
    Beretta APX
    Sig P320 Compact has a 15 round capacity, barrel length is 3.9. Some have barrel lengths of 3.6” and others are full size.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    The shorter barrels are sub compact. The compact barrel sizes run around 4 inches, and magazines are typically 15 rounds. Typically the Glock 19 is the comparative model used most often for these.

Ruger is a bit different In their sizing, the Security 9 has a barrel length of 4 inches, the Security 9c (C for compact) has a barrel length of 3.42”, putting it in the subcompact size.

The 15 round magazines give you three fingers on the grip, vs two for the subcompact. The 4 inch barrel makes it easier to aim accurately.

Here is a list of some of the 4 inch barrels, 15 round mags that I have researched:
    CZ P10C
    Taurus G3
    Walther Creed
    Walther PPQ
    Glock 19
    S&W M&P 9 2.0 Compact (there are two versions the 11683 has the four inch barrel with no slide safety)
    S&W SD9VE
    Ruger Security 9
    Ruger SR9
    Springfield XD
    Beretta APX
    Sig P320 Compact has a 15 round capacity, barrel length is 3.9. Some have barrel lengths of 3.6” and others are full size.
    Walther Creed has a 16 round capacity, FWIW. It didn't hurt my feelings when I was looking that it had a 16+1 capacity.

Dan, I like it a lot, but (always a but) it ain't perfect. Has a high bore axis. I don't find it has a muzzle flip, but that's the issue you may see others suggest. Hickok had no problems with it, that's for sure lol. I've had no problems with it, as reliable as my Glock (so far) and my S&W 39-2, which I really like as well.

I got a steal for it at $249.99, no tax, from CDNN. Shipped to Hoover Tactical with an indoor shooting range to try it out, they charge $20 for a FFL transfer.

I think CDNN has it now for $269.99, with three magazines (two spares). I know you're like me, though, and like to try it out before buying, but that's a possible option, depending on price.

Rupp's Runt

Thank you. There is no mention of any recent progress on their home page.

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...ry-ps9-dagger/
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Walther Creed has a 16 round capacity, FWIW. It didn't hurt my feelings when I was looking that it had a 16+1 capacity.

Dan, I like it a lot, but (always a but) it ain't perfect. Has a high bore axis. I don't find it has a muzzle flip, but that's the issue you may see others suggest. Hickok had no problems with it, that's for sure lol. I've had no problems with it, as reliable as my Glock (so far) and my S&W 39-2, which I really like as well.

I got a steal for it at $249.99, no tax, from CDNN. Shipped to Hoover Tactical with an indoor shooting range to try it out, they charge $20 for a FFL transfer.

I think CDNN has it now for $269.99, with three magazines (two spares). I know you're like me, though, and like to try it out before buying, but that's a possible option, depending on price.
    I’ve seen some indications that the Creed has been discontinued. If so what is currently in the pipeline will be all there will be.

Walther always gets high marks for ergonomics, and the PPQ is considered by many to have the best trigger among striker fired pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    The Dagger looks like a Glock with an M&P style trigger, which is not a bad combo.

Check back first of next week for update on PS9. they may start shipping then
    seeya
    dan

Rupp's Runt

Home defense shotgun

Anyone have any opinions on a 6.5 creedmoor in a bolt action? Wanting one to reach out longer ranges when needed.

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Wish I had an opinion but I have never even touched one much less fired one.
    seeya
    dan

Priced anywhere from $450.00 up to $3,500.00. That is a heck of a spread
    seeya
    dan

Rupp's Runt

Home defense shotgun

Under $800 ideally

Plenty to look at here. Mossbergs quality weapon on the lower end of the price spectrum

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/fire...6.5-creedmoor/
    seeya
    dan

Under $800 ideally

The Savage 110 and 111 models are great shooter and within your price range.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
    The Savage 110 and 111 models are great shooter and within your price range.
    They have lots of options in that series. Are they all the same level of accuracy?

They have lots of options in that series. Are they all the same level of accuracy?
    They all have the AccuTrigger. The differences are primarily in how they are set up, stocks, sights, internal or external magazine, etc. The AccuTrigger lets you adjust the trigger pull weight, and has a nice crisp pull.

I’ve got a 110G in .30-06. It came with wood stock, iron sights and internal magazine. My son-in-law bought a Remington 700 about the same time. My Savage was more accurate out of the box, and we’ve had a couple of people that have shot both when checking scope alignment for deer season. Everyone likes the Savage more. I had a local shop order the Savage for me, so I could get it the way I wanted it. The only thing I would do different if I had it to do over would be to order it in .308, because it shoots flatter than the .30-06 round.

BTW, the Savage Axis II also has the AccuTrigger and is generally a sub $500 rifle that has a fantastic reputation for accuracy out of the box.

Rupp's Runt

Somewhat OT

The bad thing about having a scope that records is that you see how bad you miss...But yes, I have an excuse. I rushed my shot knowing a calf was close and walking that way.

Anyone have any opinions on a 6.5 creedmoor in a bolt action? Wanting one to reach out longer ranges when needed.

A big favorite here in Montana, sir. People are liking those short magnums here too. Were I to get a new antelope/deer/elk rifle it would be the Creedmore. I’ve shot 30.06, .308, 7mm magnum(ouch),.280,.270, .257. 25.06. Creedmore is an easy shooting round with good bullet ballistics.

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...m-on-big-game/

Gotta say, Without recommending it, I used a .264 WinMag and it was a virtual RayGun. Something about that bullet coefficient with a lot of powder behind it.

My coronabux are going towards a
    Marlin 1894CSBL 357. Home defense and matching caliber to my little carry revolver. And I can reload those .38 and .357 rounds any way I want.

Rupp's Runt

PSA dagger update tonight at 9 eastern

https://www.facebook.com/PalmettoSta...type=3&theater

I do not have a facebook account and have not been able to sign up for one tonight. If you sit in on the web meeting, I would appreciate you sharing any details you remember with us.

Thanks

Dan
    seeya
    dan

For you revolver lovers, her is a unique weapon. Tarus has a 357/38 special/9mm luger out for sale. 1 ported barrel fits all, and you swap out the cylinder to accommodate the 9mm rounds.

It has a niche and it might fit yours, especially if you have a dirty harry fetish.

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...iber-revolver/
    seeya
    dan

230A9439-72E9-490B-8B30-EB135FDBD54F.jpg

They have the Savage Axis II on sale at Sportsman’s Warehouse in Lexington. The sale started today.

Rupp's Runt

I do not have a facebook account and have not been able to sign up for one tonight. If you sit in on the web meeting, I would appreciate you sharing any details you remember with us.

Thanks

Dan
    They hope to have the remaining parts in 2-3 weeks. Assemble and test. So Probably 6 weeks before release. Still starting at $299.

Note, they didn't say 6 weeks, but that seems to be logical release date from most in the group.