Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Irma

Re: Irma

If this is real, it wins for best picture of this whole mess.

Supposedly this is on I-75.

https://twitter.com/mopage19/status/906928414858338304
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 09-10-2017 at 04:27 PM.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Related, but not exactly news.

Girl I coached in volleyball is a freshman at Florida State. Her mom just told us that they canceled classes next week, so Emily came home last night. I think they (FSU) believed the campus was safe, but would lose power and it would be out for several days, possibly. Given that existence, Emily brought a friend (whose parents live near the Keys) home with her.

Jefferson County schools here in Birmingham have canceled classes tomorrow and Tuesday. I am awaiting Shelby County's response (where we live/son goes to school).

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    If this is real, it wins for best picture of this whole mess.

Supposedly this is on I-75.

https://twitter.com/mopage19/status/906928414858338304
    Believe that's the fake shark pic that routinely goes around for hurricanes. I'm just guessing; not sure I've ever seen it, but they joke about it on twitter a lot.

Shark gets around. He was in Houston a week or so ago.

1 shark houston.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Believe that's the fake shark pic that routinely goes around for hurricanes. I'm just guessing; not sure I've ever seen it, but they joke about it on twitter a lot.
    Figured it had to be. I thought it was that one too. Good shop work, I esp. like how you can see the pic was taken from a truck in the rear view, then the shark pasted in.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

1 shark houston.JPG
    They spend all that money to try to track them, they just need to let social media do it.

Sounding like KW is as fine as one could expect. Some reports from the Hemmingway house staff saying no surge there, typical trees down and such. That's a high point, so if there was water there it's bad, but if Whitehead and Olivia are OK that means this was more of the "typical" bad storm for them.

But not much out of the other lower keys yet.

Guy at La Concha saying caroline and that area is flooded, but as I said above that's not unusual in about any big storm. Sounds like about like a normal tropical storm impact.

Re The shark pic, there are also a number of tweeted and re-tweeted "key west" and "south florida" videos that are "live" that aren't live and aren't even of Florida. Anything for clicks I guess.

One last post on the KW subject.

Miami Herald reporter just submitted that KW is bruised but OK and the locals say they're ready for a drink.

Now you know why I like it there. It will be a race between electricity and getting the bars open as to what takes priority. Not that they ever stopped drinking, but they'll want to get the bars open b/c it's a very social activity.

We love that area too. The people are resilient and salt of the earth. My concern would be the area to the right of the eyewall. Marathon etc. they received the harshest of the winds and rain.
    One last post on the KW subject.

Miami Herald reporter just submitted that KW is bruised but OK and the locals say they're ready for a drink.

Now you know why I like it there. It will be a race between electricity and getting the bars open as to what takes priority. Not that they ever stopped drinking, but they'll want to get the bars open b/c it's a very social activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    We love that area too. The people are resilient and salt of the earth. My concern would be the area to the right of the eyewall. Marathon etc. they received the harshest of the winds and rain.
    Much more worried about the rest of the lower keys and the middle keys. I'm betting they're OK, just beaten up. I think the media is playing this up a lot more than the actual impact. It was bad, but not 'wiped off the face of the earth' bad or anything.

They're esp. playing up that mortuary teams are going in as part of the recovery. I am betting that is standard procedure, they'll take in all that stuff. At least I sure hope so.

Well this is cool, Atlanta gets it's very first tropical storm warning. You don't see that every day.

Irma

1 shark houston.JPG
    Sharknado is alive and well!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Irma

.... and in the " you can't make this stuff up" category. When asked about how high the wind gust are getting, a female reporter standing rain soaked in the middle of a street said " it's really strong, it literally just blew my hat off"

I swear....

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    .... and in the " you can't make this stuff up" category. When asked about how high the wind gust are getting, a female reporter standing rain soaked in the middle of a street said " it's really strong, it literally just blew my hat off"

I swear....

I think "blow your hat off" is somewhere between Cat 4 and Cat 5. lol

And Shelby County Schools are closed tomorrow and Tuesday.

And Shelby County Schools are closed tomorrow and Tuesday.
    Sorry, but if you don't have a tropical storm warning you aren't all cool like Atlanta.

Irma

Does this count? We're being "affected" by the Hurricane?

May get you into the band or the chess club.

Marathon HS this morning
    Attachment 6784

Irma

May get you into the band or the chess club.
    I'm back in high school claiming athlete status for being on the golf team.

Irma

Bread aisle and water aisle, respectively, at Walmart in Birmingham tonight.

Well since you were on the golf team, as long as you vouch for the rest of Birmingham I guess Atlanta may let you in the club.

As for the bread and water thing, what exactly do folks think is going to happen there?

Irma

I am ready.

Didn't you get that notice that you shouldn't throw hurricane parties and get drunk?

But feel free to send out invites and I'll stand up to the man with you. That does look good. I had some leftover Wendy's chili.

Irma

Didn't you get that notice that you shouldn't throw hurricane parties and get drunk?

But feel free to send out invites and I'll stand up to the man with you. That does look good. I had some leftover Wendy's chili.
    I'm from New Orleans and Miami by marriage and school. We subscribe to different rules. I was just happy the fools went for the water and left the beer alone.

Looks like its past me now! Or at least Im past the worse of it
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

That is great news Doc. I truly hope that any damage you incurred was minimal. How would you describe flooding in your area, that is if any has occurred.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I'm from New Orleans and Miami by marriage and school. We subscribe to different rules. I was just happy the fools went for the water and left the beer alone.
    Mick is right, once you're in it no reason to lose your mind. Have a drink and hope for the best.

I know it's in your DNA. Not so sure about your neighbors. Like you said, they cleaned out the water and left the booze.
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 09-10-2017 at 09:21 PM.