Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: PSA: MoviePass $9.95/month

Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
    When this thread first started I couldn’t remember my last trip to the movies. I still can’t. IMHO the Motion picture industry is in rapid decline. They have worn out the American public.
    I think it's because so much of what comes out now is just bad or not good enough to keep you from waiting for it to hit another venue i.e.TV. or blu-ray.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Rupp's Runt

PSA: MoviePass $9.95/month

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    I think it's because so much of what comes out now is just bad or not good enough to keep you from waiting for it to hit another venue i.e.TV. or blu-ray.
    That and the prices, food, crowds, and time.

I'd rather pay $50, maybe more to watch theater releases at home if I could.

Like Mick, I can't remember my last movie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Lot of it is the same thing we're seeing with sporting events. People would rather sit at home with their better view in their home setup, comfortable chairs, immediately accessible bathrooms, convenient beverages and snacks, etc.

I'm not a big fan of crowds. Movie theaters don't bother me as much as a football or basketball crowd, but there's a little of that, too.

My favorite movie experiences were when my daughter had just turned 16 and worked at the local movie theater. We wouldn't let her drive home by herself when she closed in the summer, so I would show up early, in time for the last show of the night. Movie theater nearly deserted, yet got the full experience. And even better were the couple of times she got them to stay open and run a show for us, without previews. We had the family there a couple of times for our own private screening.

Now she works in a hospital. I'm not sure I want any "perqs" she may be able to give now.

MoviePass changing subscription model to maximum amount of movies per month to 3. Will begin August 15 for new subscriptions, or on renewal date for existing subscriptions.

Just got in the nick of time. If the company doesn't go under, I'll have a year without the 3 movie limitation. Honestly, I think 3 would be fine for me anyway. Hopefully they'll stay in existence for 12 months.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 08-06-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Sounds like a ponzi scheme. Collect money from new subscribers, use some of it when they’re ready to watch a movie, and pocket the rest. Make it a huge hassle and profit even more. The older I get, the more I adhere to the adage ‘If it looks too good to be true, it probably is’.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Sounds like a ponzi scheme. Collect money from new subscribers, use some of it when they’re ready to watch a movie, and pocket the rest. Make it a huge hassle and profit even more. The older I get, the more I adhere to the adage ‘If it looks too good to be true, it probably is’.
    Well, I think it is worked out well for people that have used it. I think the too-good-to-be-true part is on the part of the company, rather than the customer.

Rupp's Runt

I admit to not reading everything in this thread so this could be old news. But I heard it on the radio this morning.

Basically, they were saying this morning, they they grew faster than expected and ran out of money. They were hoping to secure discounted pricing and were never able to do so. So they were probably banking on cheaper ticket sales to them (fair enough) and people not really utilizing the deal (dumb). Will be interesting to see if this impacts movie attendance any.

Well, I will probably try it out sometime this weekend.

Started to go Friday, but no movies available anywhere. Pretty much a nationwide shutdown as I understand it.

Saturday the pickings were very slim, and was considering a late night movie after the UK game, but decided against it. Good thing, as I checked later and it had disappeared.

Two movies available today right now on the theatre close to me, but they may disappear during the day. I am going to run today, watch the UK game today, and grill, so I'm not sure that it will fit with my schedule anyway.

Who said buying an annual pass was a good idea? Oh, yeah. I did. Duh.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Who said buying an annual pass was a good idea? Oh, yeah. I did. Duh.
    Good idea and it has/had potential IMO. Just not a well thought out plan.

Mission: Recoup Investment has begun.

$25.48 of "free" tickets purchased with two $89.99 (maybe $89 even, I don't remember).

$179.98 - $25.48 = $154.50 remaining. About six more movies to break even.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 09-15-2018 at 12:07 AM.

So glad I didn't spend $ on Slender Man.

I was entertained by it, but if I had dropped $25.48 to see it I would have been irritated.

$20.00 more.

A.X.L. looks terrible, but eating into recouping the investment.

Three movie theaters within 5 miles of me. Here's what is available, checking at 8:30 am.

Out of business?

They are for today at those theaters!

I could drive a few more miles and see other movies--still--but those are, of course, the most convenient to me.

I'm going to a soccer game tonight anyway, but I like to check on weekends. That surprised me, at 8:30 in the morning. Evidently they ran out of money for those before the day started. Will be interesting to see if they have any available any time during the weekend. I'm guessing not.

For what it's worth, they now show six movies available at one of the theaters near me. Crazy.

Here.

15 movies available today at the closest one. Zero yesterday.

New month?
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    New month?
    Good observation. New money?

Rupp's Runt

Slightly OT but I'll add it here.

What would you pay to avoid the theaters? The comments are fun to read the ignorance of some. They seem to not realize, this is not to replace movie rentals. But to rent theater releases. I like the idea a lot. Would love for this to happen. I like the one of idea in the comments of giving the theaters 10 days, to have two weekends, then charge $30 to rent it. I would do this. A family of 4 wait 10 days? Yep, sign me up. I don't even remember my last movie at a theater, but I never go opening weekend anyway.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/03/22/rent-...n-itunes-push/

I prefer to wait and buy either a blu-ray disc or a stream a title from Vudu. If I don't think I'd watch something more than once or twice I don't bother. Purchasing from Vudu is a pretty good deal. You can rent fairly cheap as well if that's your preference.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Slightly OT but I'll add it here.

What would you pay to avoid the theaters? The comments are fun to read the ignorance of some. They seem to not realize, this is not to replace movie rentals. But to rent theater releases. I like the idea a lot. Would love for this to happen. I like the one of idea in the comments of giving the theaters 10 days, to have two weekends, then charge $30 to rent it. I would do this. A family of 4 wait 10 days? Yep, sign me up. I don't even remember my last movie at a theater, but I never go opening weekend anyway.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/03/22/rent-...n-itunes-push/
    I think for many of you, that might be a good option. For us, $0.

At my house, they Netflix and Hulu and I don't know what all, but movie-watching is rare, as far as I know. My son likes to do it for a "date night," to get out of the house, for an "event," and so I don't think he'd be interested. Same for my daughter and her boyfriend, but they're in their mid-20's, and may be a different market.

I suspect that I will get burned out on going, but I have enjoyed getting out of the house for the evening as well. But we don't watch movies at home either, so we're not the target market for that kind of thing, even though we may be closer to the right age to take "advantage" of that, I dunno.

Rupp's Runt

I think for many of you, that might be a good option. For us, $0.

At my house, they Netflix and Hulu and I don't know what all, but movie-watching is rare, as far as I know. My son likes to do it for a "date night," to get out of the house, for an "event," and so I don't think he'd be interested. Same for my daughter and her boyfriend, but they're in their mid-20's, and may be a different market.

I suspect that I will get burned out on going, but I have enjoyed getting out of the house for the evening as well. But we don't watch movies at home either, so we're not the target market for that kind of thing, even though we may be closer to the right age to take "advantage" of that, I dunno.
    In 35 years when my daughter is old enough to date, I don't want her going on a date to the movies. I'd rather have them at home with me sitting between them. Will be less awkward than me sitting between them in public.

In 35 years when my daughter is old enough to date, I don't want her going on a date to the movies. I'd rather have them at home with me sitting between them. Will be less awkward than me sitting between them in public.
    Lol!

$12.73 x2

Rupp's Runt

$12.73 x2
    $25.46

Lol. Sorry, was posting that from my seat and my wife let me know in no uncertain terms that the movie was starting.

Searching.

Add that to my recouped investment.

Mission: Recoup Investment has begun.

$25.48 of "free" tickets purchased with two $89.99 (maybe $89 even, I don't remember).

$179.98 - $25.48 = $154.50 remaining. About six more movies to break even.
    $20.00 more.

A.X.L. looks terrible, but eating into recouping the investment.
    $25.46

Investment recoupment tally

109.04 remaining
    83.58 remaining
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 09-15-2018 at 09:28 PM.