Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post

You know, they work really well for outdoor activities. They're smaller than they look--about the size of the wired "sports" headphones. They just sit on the ear and aren't too thick. That's what I use when I'm cutting grass, exercising outside, etc.
    How hot are they? I walked 2.25 miles yesterday at 3 pm, 90 degrees. If I have those little wired "in ear" headphones it doesn't add any heat and sweat just rolls past it. But I took a look at the reviews on the link you posted, and it seems a lot of people are happy using it at the gym, exercising, working in the yard, etc. Interesting.

Sent using Forum Runner

Re: Wishlist/Neat things/cool things to buy time!

Here is a good one for you, the "bumper dumper"

Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I have to get this. I don't know why.

Chef'n Bananza Banana Slicer
    by Chef'n
    4.1 out of 5 stars See all reviews (95 customer reviews)
    List Price: $9.99
    Price: $9.95 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25. Details
    Gone are the days of biting off slice-sized chunks of banana and spitting them onto a serving tray. At long last there is a saliva-free way of slicing bananas. Thank you Hutzler!

Next on my wish list: a kitchen tool for dividing frozen water into cube-sized chunks
    (Stolen from an Amazon.com review of the Hutzler 571 Banana Slicer.)
    changing my signature to change our luck.

I have to get this. I don't know why.

Chef'n Bananza Banana Slicer
    by Chef'n
    4.1 out of 5 stars See all reviews (95 customer reviews)
    List Price: $9.99
    Price: $9.95 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25. Details
    Looks like something Lorraina Bobbit or Huna Abedin would use
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Laying in bed with insomnia, so I will add a picture later, but here is a inexpensive product that is terrific for hot weather. Several companies make it, but the one we first bought is called a "frogg togg" chilling pad or towel.

It is a piece of material that comes in a tube. You put it in water and wring it out a little, then place it on your head and neck, and it cools your body temperature.

My son has been using it for three years of playing a lot of soccer outdoors in the Alabama and Tennessee (mainly) heat, and it works great. He puts it in a little playmate cooler with some water and ice - doesn't require much ice, but enough to keep the water really cold - and takes it to all games and practices. I bought one for myself when I began running in the heat, and it works even for old men.

Price is about $10-15, depending on where you find it.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 08-13-2013 at 04:48 AM.

Frogg Togg:

21qAQ0jCcbL._SY400_.jpg

pDSP1-8055811dt.jpg

Sent using Forum Runner

Just got this yesterday, and tried it out today--FANTASTIC device.

It is called the "Sweat GUTR," (pronounced gutter), the "ultimate sweatband."

Here it is by itself, in the color I got it.

Very simple concept. Piece of medical grade silicone, goes around your forehead. Has a channel, or gutter, built in. Basically the sweat that used to go down your forehead into your eyes, instead channels off to the side. No more stinging eyes. I wear contacts, and it may hurt a little more because of that. No more having to wipe off sunglasses because sweat dripped on the lenses.

The silicone rubber does not smell. Comes in a bunch of colors--I got frost, which almost blends in with the skin. It does not absorb sweat like a normal sweatband would, it instead deflects and re-channels it. Just rinse it off under a faucet when you're done and it's ready to go.

Cost is about $15-20, depending on where you get it. It exceeded my expectations today. I ran 4 miles (what I call running, anyway), in just under an hour, and sweated profusely. But none down the front of my face, and none in my eyes. Great product. I am buying one for a friend of mine who saw it today and asked me if it worked, and said he could use it when he's working in his yard (a huge yard, and he's in it often).

FWIW, I have been using this product routinely, and it works great. I don't know what is wrong with the people at Amazon who claim it doesn't work for them. I sweat profusely, and it channels the sweat down the side away from my eyes.

I "ran" yesterday from 5:30 to 6:30, or do--95 degrees, and I had to take it very easy. Made one water break in the middle, and only went 3.5 miles (pretty big elevation changes where I was going, which I walk, too). Anyway, i could not locate my Sweat Gutr. My eyes stung like crazy, even though I was wearing my Nike running hat; it could not keep the perspiration out of my eyes.

I ordered another one when I got home. It will be here tomorrow (thanks, Amazon Prime). I will find the other--it's in the back of my car, or a gym bag, or the bathroom, or someplace--but it's worth having two of them.

Very simple concept. Piece of medical grade silicone, goes around your forehead. Has a channel, or gutter, built in. Basically the sweat that used to go down your forehead into your eyes, instead channels off to the side. No more stinging eyes. I wear contacts, and it may hurt a little more because of that. No more having to wipe off sunglasses because sweat dripped on the lenses.

The silicone rubber does not smell. Comes in a bunch of colors--I got frost, which almost blends in with the skin. It does not absorb sweat like a normal sweatband would, it instead deflects and re-channels it. Just rinse it off under a faucet when you're done and it's ready to go.

Cost is about $15-20, depending on where you get it. It exceeded my expectations today. I ran 4 miles (what I call running, anyway), in just under an hour, and sweated profusely. But none down the front of my face, and none in my eyes. Great product. I am buying one for a friend of mine who saw it today and asked me if it worked, and said he could use it when he's working in his yard (a huge yard, and he's in it often).

Here's a very inexpensive item that has made my household a lot happier. We have this one--they make many of them that are "magnetic," but our dishwasher is not steel, so a magnet won't work. This sits on top of the edge of the dishwasher very nicely, and works well.

Before we got it, we constantly had "I put it in the sink because I didn't know if the dishes were clean or dirty in the dishwasher" discussions. That has been remedied with this little $5 item.

Here's a cool idea one, but I don't know if it works.

For those who have spouses or significant others who may arise at a different time--it's a disc that slips under your pillow, connects to your smartphone, and will vibrate when the alarm goes off, rather than your smartphone going off.

It is supposed to last a month without having to recharge, supports multiple alarms, days, etc. Works with both ios and android.

Regular price at this place is $22, today sale is $20.

Probably will not get it, but it intrigued me.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...7950214&q=iluv

Or you could put the alarm on vibrate and put the phone under the pillow. Send me $10.00 for the suggestion and consider it a 50% saving on the $20.00 price of the disc

Doc, I don't trust putting my phone under my pillow. Don't want to crush the screen with my massive noggin.

Seriously, I did that a few times, and once found I had knocked it between the metal rail bed. I'd rather spend $20 than put a $700 phone in harm's way, but I fidget when I sleep, move around too much.

The other obvious thing for me is that my phone charges every night. I wouldn't want wires under my pillow either.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 08-16-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Bombino

@ Darryl - a few fitness trackers have had this functionality for a while. You set an alarm and they will even monitor your sleep cycle waking you up at the appropriate stage of sleep near your alarm time. This allows you to feel the most rested when you wake up. Others, like the FitBit Charge, will just vibrate the FitBit on your wrist to wake you up but don't do the sleep cycle tracking.

I'm familiar with those. But I like this a lot better, especially since I do not like the fitness trackers you wear on your wrist. Think of it as replacing an alarm clock, rather than replacing a fitness trainer or sleep monitor, and you'll have a better picture of how I see this $20 item. Also love that you don't have to charge it for a month. (It's about 50% of the reason I have the Fitbit Zip, where the battery last 3-6 months--mine closer to 3-4).

Quote Originally Posted by PedroDaGr8 View Post
    @ Darryl - a few fitness trackers have had this functionality for a while. You set an alarm and they will even monitor your sleep cycle waking you up at the appropriate stage of sleep near your alarm time. This allows you to feel the most rested when you wake up. Others, like the FitBit Charge, will just vibrate the FitBit on your wrist to wake you up but don't do the sleep cycle tracking.

I may have posted about this before, but I've just tried it. It's the Xiaomi Mi Band (pronounced Show-me-Me).

I bought it on a lark for $13. I do not like wearing things on my wrist, but figured for $13 I could throw it away, give it away, etc. if I didn't like it.

It came with no instructions. None. Well, last night, I decided to google/youtube it, and found a youtube that unboxed it, showed how to use it, etc. Very easy, but if you didn't know to download a free app, there's absolutely no way you'd know what to do with it.

Anyway, initial impressions.

* Looks fine. It's rubber with an aluminum color insert. I don't know if it's aluminum or what. It's the "brains" of the wristband; the part that gets charged up.

* About the charging -- it's an incredible 30-day battery. I detest having to recharge things. It's a large part of the reason why I like Fitbit Zip over all the other fitbits; I put a battery in it, and forget it for 3-6 months (in my usage, more like 3-1/2 to 4 months). But charging once a month? I can probably live with that. And all the reviews I read on it said it is legitimate.

* Using it -- I used the alarm feature (vibrates on the wrist 5 times at the appointed time), the sleep tracking feature (said I slept 5:54 last night, which is about right), and step counting. I did a "test" for step counting where I walked 300 steps, and counted them, and it was dead on. Doesn't mean it will always be--and I wonder if it will artificially add steps when I'm typing on my computer, etc.--but for a quick first test, it passed.

* Size -- this is shocking. I have small wrists, and I have it on the largest setting possible, and it is the very last hole. As in, anyone with a medium-sized wrist couldn't wear it. Now, maybe I ordered a "small" or something; I dunno. But this thing barely fits me; it wouldn't fit anybody with a bigger wrist. Crazy.

* Comfort -- it's fine, as far as these things go. I don't like wearing things on my wrist, so I'm not a fan, but that's not this device's fault.

* Ratings/etc. Waiting on engadget to rate it, but "user ratings" are mostly extremely high, with minority very low ratings. At engadget, average user rating is 8.1. That compares favorably to the Fitbit ChargeHR (8.3) and Fitbit Charge (7.0).
    http://www.engadget.com/compare/fitn...8+84474+79154/

Cnet editors rate it 3.5 stars, and 7.6 overall.
    http://www.cnet.com/products/xiaomi-mi-band/

Ridiculously cheap, and simple, and effective, according to the reviews. Also water resistant, although the Cnet editors warn that the rubber strap can be uncomfortable when wet.

Be careful of reviews -- here's one that has it 4.9/5.0, with 656 customer reviews. That just seems too out of whack to me. Most of the ones I see have it around 8/10, give or take. I think that's fair, but if you consider price, it makes it a 10/10 to me.

http://www.gearbest.com/smart-watches/pp_126026.html

Warning -- I'm not sure where I bought it; I think it was a slick deal around the first of the year/end of last year, and I'm just getting around to using it. There is a fake mi band being sold on Amazon that is not the real thing; just beware, read reviews, etc. if interested. For less than $15, I recommend it.
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 08-24-2015 at 10:54 AM.

Doc, I don't trust putting my phone under my pillow. Don't want to crush the screen with my massive noggin.

Seriously, I did that a few times, and once found I had knocked it between the metal rail bed. I'd rather spend $20 than put a $700 phone in harm's way, but I fidget when I sleep, move around too much.

The other obvious thing for me is that my phone charges every night. I wouldn't want wires under my pillow either.

That's OK, you can still send me the $20.00

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    That's OK, you can still send me the $20.00
    I'll think about it

FWIW, I'm wearing the Mi band and my fitbit zip. They are within 9 steps of each other for the entire day. I'll take that and call it good for either one.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Just a follow up. The Mi band works well, but occasionally gets way off on steps depending on activity. Still useful. However, I misplaced my charger. Ordered another one, will take a month to get in from China.

My wishlist - docking station for my surface pro (ordered last year but did not receive) .

Wishlist/Neat things/cool things to buy time!

Still using when I exercise, and believe it or not, I used it the last couple of days in oppressive heat watching soccer games to keep sweat out of my eyes. Worked crazy well.

Wishlist/Neat things/cool things to buy time!

I'm still using the one I bought for exercise back in March.

I like mine just fine with a couple of exceptions. The first being that the sweat gutter is designed to channel the sweat from your forehead and direct it towards the sides and back of your head which for me is to my ears. Sweat in my ears is obviously uncomfortable but also poses a problem with my ear buds.

The other thing is since it is designed to direct the sweat to the back of your head, which it does if you're looking forward with your head up. The bad news if your neck is bent and you're looking down the sweat is directed back to the front and back into your eyes and face, but only if your sweaty task has you looking down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blueboss; 07-11-2016 at 08:45 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Yeah, it doesn't absorb, just channels. It hits me on the temples, which is glorious as it is cooling. I have had it hit my ear before, so I know what you are talking about, and if it did that regularly, I wouldn't be a fan.

I kicked myself for not wearing it at Disney when the sweat washed the sunscreen into my eyes and burned about 30 minutes. My daughter would've killed me, but I think it would have been worth it.

I kicked myself for not wearing it at Disney when the sweat washed the sunscreen into my eyes and burned about 30 minutes. My daughter would've killed me, but I think it would have been worth it.
    She's not used to her parents acting like nerds yet? You've been taking it too easy on her.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

My wishlist - docking station for my surface pro (ordered last year but did not receive) .

I never updated this, but because I'm an idiot, I did not realize when it came in (with the rush of things I bought business-wise at the end of the year--two Surface Pro's, two monitors, docking station, etc. ad nauseam), I just put it up. Found it after a year of it being put up.

I have something to add....an LCD Screen Sun Shield for DSLR cameras and camcorders.

One of the things that I miss from my old Sony camcorder was an eye viewfinder for recording. My "new" Canon Vixia HF R700 is like most others in its price range, with a flip out LCD screen only for viewing, not only for playback, but also for recording. Recording so many hours of video during bright sunlight shows you just what a poor idea that is. I got to the point where I just pointed it generally at the field, and moved the tripod back and forth, guessing where it was recording.

This sun shield produces shade for the screen where you can see the screen again. Remarkable. I'd say it gets back 80% of your viewing, which is fine for seeing where you are recording. It is leather, and adjustable, and about $13, it is inexpensive. Really works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Screen-Camera.../dp/B004ECZJDS

LCD sun shield.JPG

Something I got this year that's really upped my grilling game--an instant read thermometer. The best is generally regarded to be the Thermapen, but at $80.00 it can be a little pricey. I got this one on Amazon for $25 and it's very good--takes, say, 3-4 seconds to register vs. the 1-2 for the Thermapen, but otherwise is the same.

I've always done OK with beef but struggled with chicken and salmon--tended to overcook. This little ditty helps me hit the mark and the end product is consistently better.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Something I got this year that's really upped my grilling game--an instant read thermometer. The best is generally regarded to be the Thermapen, but at $80.00 it can be a little pricey. I got this one on Amazon for $25 and it's very good--takes, say, 3-4 seconds to register vs. the 1-2 for the Thermapen, but otherwise is the same.

I've always done OK with beef but struggled with chicken and salmon--tended to overcook. This little ditty helps me hit the mark and the end product is consistently better.
    Thanks for that recommendation, BEvans. I have an "instant" thermometer that probably takes 40 seconds to get up to speed. Heck, I can burn things in 40 seconds while waiting on it to reach the correct temperature. I don't know how long it really takes, but it's a long time. 3-4 seconds would be a Godsend.

Yes, I overcook things too--even beef in my case. I have become a little better at that, but anything else? I could really use that thermometer.

Bombino

Thanks for that recommendation, BEvans. I have an "instant" thermometer that probably takes 40 seconds to get up to speed. Heck, I can burn things in 40 seconds while waiting on it to reach the correct temperature. I don't know how long it really takes, but it's a long time. 3-4 seconds would be a Godsend.

Yes, I overcook things too--even beef in my case. I have become a little better at that, but anything else? I could really use that thermometer.
    Meh.com (or was it woot.com) just recently had a bluetooth grill thermometer (the type with a long lead that you leave in while cooking) for only $20. Very useful when grilling as well.

Meh.com (or was it woot.com) just recently had a bluetooth grill thermometer (the type with a long lead that you leave in while cooking) for only $20. Very useful when grilling as well.
    I got one that's wireless, has a receiver and a base station, don't get to use it often but when I do it's great. Having it as a phone app would be all the cooler.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I have one of those, too, and find it useful when cooking something for a long period of time, like a pork butt. But for quick-grill items (10 minutes or less), I think an instant-read works better. YMMV.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19