Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wishlist/Neat things/cool things to buy time!

Inspired by Doc's "killing time" thread, I found a cool link, "whyIambroke.com," which features really cool stuff to buy. It made me think it would be a pretty cool thread to start as a "member contribution" thread.

Here are the rules.

1) Post ONE (1) cool thing only per day, per person.

Those are the rules.

Think it through carefully before you contribute your "cool thing" for the day. Note--it does not have to be obnoxious, like a million dollar helicopter--but it can be. It can be some cool $10 item, too (something that some of us might ACTUALLY buy). If you own it already, it's a bonus.

I'll post one later today to get it started.

Re: Wishlist/Neat things/cool things to buy time!

Mine for today is a practical one, and very affordable. I do not own it, but I think I'll get one or two. It's the "WaterBOB." Basically, it's a food-grade plastic oblong container that you fill in your bathtub to hold approximately 100 gallons of water. That would help you get through an emergency situation, hurricane, loss of power/water, etc. for a period of time. The cost is $25. The only bad thing is that it seems to be a one-time use--i.e., you fill it up with a hurricane expected, you don't need it, you really can't use it again. (Some say you can, by adding some bleach to the water the next time, but I dunno about that.)

Link to buy on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AXLUX2/?tag=059-20

It's the one I posted on Doc's thread but I like it

http://seabreacher.com/
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 05-04-2013 at 11:52 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Inspired by Doc's "killing time" thread, I found a cool link, "whyIambroke.com," which features really cool stuff to buy. It made me think it would be a pretty cool thread to start as a "member contribution" thread.

Here are the rules.

1) Post ONE (1) cool thing only per day, per person.

Those are the rules.

Think it through carefully before you contribute your "cool thing" for the day. Note--it does not have to be obnoxious, like a million dollar helicopter--but it can be. It can be some cool $10 item, too (something that some of us might ACTUALLY buy). If you own it already, it's a bonus.

I'll post one later today to get it started.
    I was looking over WhyI'mbroke and found this:

does this dude have like the longest finger you have ever seen?
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

I was expecting Darrell to go with this:

link
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Gotta love this one.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Darrell, you may also check out www.cheaperthandirt.com they sell the water tanks in various sizes, good prices.

I want one myself, funny b/c wife and I were just discussing it a couple of days ago. I'm not prepping for *** Hits The Fan (SHTF) just yet but I have been through 2 multi-day ice events in Lexington that pretty much shut the city down and left me with no power for days. So I'd like to get a basic week or 10 day stockpile. A tank for water (havent' lost it yet but you never know), some long term storage food, a crank radio/charger. I have some kerosene lamps and fuel and am a big believer in old school solutions. I need to lay in a bunch more guns and ammo those,and I have almost no camo clothing. Never know when the zombies will show up.

That's a dangerous site. Already see 3-4 things I don't know how I survived without.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I have to get this. I don't know why.

Chef'n Bananza Banana Slicer
    by Chef'n
    4.1 out of 5 stars See all reviews (95 customer reviews)
    List Price: $9.99
    Price: $9.95 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25. Details

I'm kind of an earphone/headphone floozy. I'll try 'em all. I've got the Earpods that came with my iPhone, a set of Shure in-ear earbuds and Mrs. BEvans got me a set of Bose QC15s last year. But my current favorites are these $30 Arctic bluetooth headphones.

21U5aiSVjJL.jpg

I really like having no wires, and the sound quality is good for what you pay. Plus they charge via USB so no batteries to replace, and they fold for easy storage.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

My one for the day that's on my wishlist to have Attachment 2123

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    I'm kind of an earphone/headphone floozy. I'll try 'em all. I've got the Earpods that came with my iPhone, a set of Shure in-ear earbuds and Mrs. BEvans got me a set of Bose QC15s last year. But my current favorites are these $30 Arctic bluetooth headphones.

21U5aiSVjJL.jpg

I really like having no wires, and the sound quality is good for what you pay. Plus they charge via USB so no batteries to replace, and they fold for easy storage.
    Ooh, I like those.

Continuing my line of "cheap"....I offer today's --

I have not spilled coffee on my computer--yet--but I have managed to spill it on my desk, on papers and files. You need a ledge on your desk to make this work, though, which currently keeps it from being a winner for me right now.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ede...=&CJID=2069771

I'm going with this one today.... http://www.coolthings.com/armour39-fitness-tracker/

Last edited by Darrell KSR; 05-07-2013 at 01:41 PM.

I'm thinking about getting a fitness tracker of some sort. Saw something for about $99 that was very small, but wonder if something like that would be better. Then again, if I had that guy's physique, I don't know that I'd worry about a tracker.

I'm an admitted audiophile and gadget junkie. I've tried many high end in-ear headphones: Bose, Sennheiser. My favorites are the Monster iSport.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-iSport...monster+isport

They sound awesome and stay in your ears when exercising.

image.jpg
    Last edited by Darrell KSR; 05-11-2013 at 11:34 AM.

OK, heard about this on Leo Laporte's Tech Guy podcast--it's totally frivolous, a little pricey, but when I checked out the website and saw it working, my head exploded.

The Grillbot--think "'Roomba' for your grill."

grillbot.JPG

Set it on your grill grates and it cleans your grill with 3 wire brushes.

Rechargeable, works on hot or cold grills, has a beeper to go off when your grill's clean. $99 on pre-order. Putting in my Father's Day gift request now.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 05-20-2013 at 02:41 PM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

VERY cool. And one of those things that Joe Average can afford to get, yet feel like he's being sinfully splurging.

I like it. Great selection.

Mobile platform post.

OK, heard about this on Leo Laporte's Tech Guy podcast--it's totally frivolous, a little pricey, but when I checked out the website and saw it working, my head exploded.

The Grillbot--think "'Roomba' for your grill."

grillbot.JPG

Set it on your grill grates and it cleans your grill with 3 wire brushes.

Rechargeable, works on hot or cold grills, has a beeper to go off when your grill's clean. $99 on pre-order. Putting in my Father's Day gift request now.
    Did you get it--and does it work well?

21U5aiSVjJL.jpg

BEvans--are there any similar ones to those that are designed for sports activities, running outside, etc.? I love the bluetooth, but those don't look too friendly for running outside in 85+ degree weather .

Here's mine for today -- son just bought a car three weeks ago, and the CD player it came with did not have an input jack for iPods, etc. His birthday is a week from today, so he will be getting this:

GOgroove FlexSMART X2 Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging, Music Control, and Hands-Free Calling for Android, iPhone, Blackberry, & Windows Smartphones
    by Accessory Power
    4.3 out of 5 stars See all reviews (2,852 customer reviews)

Really cool bluetooth. I might get one for myself, too. $49.99 and I found it from a site that had the "best of everything" in many categories (a little like that "whyiambroke" site above). I throw things like that on a google spreadsheet 'wishlist" to keep up with them for when the time is right.

Darrell you may want to check out their new model, the X3. I don't know anything about them but I do have a car that could use one. Love the hands free calling/talking in my car, miss it when I drive the older one. I take it this does that based on my quick search, but not clear if the microphone pickup is in this device or if it just does the dialing.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Darrell you may want to check out their new model, the X3. I don't know anything about them but I do have a car that could use one. Love the hands free calling/talking in my car, miss it when I drive the older one. I take it this does that based on my quick search, but not clear if the microphone pickup is in this device or if it just does the dialing.
    Thanks, did not know anything new was out yet, and this has not yet been ordered.

I like that one a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    I thought I posted this, but I bought the X3 for my son. His car does not have bluetooth in it, and he is a music fiend and really enjoys his iPod music. He tells me this device is incredibly good. He is using it on bluetooth and he says it automatically finds the best station, it is always perfectly clear, and that it remembers the last song you were on, or something like that. Anyway, he got it about 3 weeks ago and he has been thrilled with it.

It also looks great in the car. It projects out from the ac adapter thing. I'm not explaining it well, but it presents well.

Very happy with that product. Great if your car does not have bluetooth. Can't tell you about the phone; he doesn't use that part of it, but the reviews on it have been very good on all parts of it. Personally speaking, it has been a big hit with my 21-year old son.

Not a great picture, but it really looks good in his car.

Last edited by Darrell KSR; 07-20-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Here's a cool device--for me, this is too pricy for me to pick up, but if any of you enjoy camping regularly enough, it looks like a nice pick-up.

It's a camp stove. But the kicker on this is two things--first, it does not use the propane tanks (that's what mine uses), so you don't have to carry extra tanks. It burns....wood, in the form of twigs you pick up. I don't know how big a fire it would start, but it came highly recommended for its efficiency, as it has a built in battery and a fan which improves its fire-buring.

The 2nd part of it is really cool. While it is burning, you can plug in a USB cord, and charge your phone or other device. Have a need for your cell, or your kids' tablet to keep them entertained after you've done the days' activities? Plug it in. It says that 20 minutes of charging an iPhone when the fire is burning will give 60 minutes of talk time.

The price of $130 is too high for me--I might look at something like this at about $50, but my camping days are very rare.

It is the BioLite Woodburning Camp Stove.

That's pretty cool. Doesn't really help start fire, but converts it into an efficient design and gets you a usb charger from wood. Not bad.

Here's mine for today -- son just bought a car three weeks ago, and the CD player it came with did not have an input jack for iPods, etc. His birthday is a week from today, so he will be getting this:

GOgroove FlexSMART X2 Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging, Music Control, and Hands-Free Calling for Android, iPhone, Blackberry, & Windows Smartphones
    by Accessory Power
    4.3 out of 5 stars See all reviews (2,852 customer reviews)

Really cool bluetooth. I might get one for myself, too. $49.99 and I found it from a site that had the "best of everything" in many categories (a little like that "whyiambroke" site above). I throw things like that on a google spreadsheet 'wishlist" to keep up with them for when the time is right.
    That's what I use to listen to my iPhone in my car. My car's in between generations: no tape player so I can't use a tape adapter, and no Aux input so I can't use an Aux cable. The X2 was the perfect solution for me, and works much better than other radio transmitters I've tried.

BEvans--are there any similar ones to those that are designed for sports activities, running outside, etc.? I love the bluetooth, but those don't look too friendly for running outside in 85+ degree weather .
    You know, they work really well for outdoor activities. They're smaller than they look--about the size of the wired "sports" headphones. They just sit on the ear and aren't too thick. That's what I use when I'm cutting grass, exercising outside, etc.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 07-21-2013 at 12:35 PM.

X2 had great reviews, and was in one of those "best products" articles /lists I enjoy. I almost hated to go with the x3 because the x2 had such a good, long track record, but I took a small leap of faith with the same company and it exceeded my expectations. That company makes great products.

And we have owned two of the adapter transmitters before. You can definitely get bad ones, so you know the difference.

Sent using Forum Runner