Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Your Money at uh work

Your Money at uh work

Alaskan Earmark

An unwanted, $80 million ice-breaking ferry owned by an Alaska borough has only one bid to buy it, and it's for $751,000.

The bid was the only entered by Friday's deadline set up by the Matanuska-Susitna Borough, which has been trying to get rid of the 200-foot ferry. The borough doesn't have to accept the offer, The Anchorage Daily News reported (http://bit.ly/Zuh2SN).

The vessel was completed in 2011 and born out of a partnership between the borough, which wanted a ferry, and the Navy, which wanted a fast military landing craft.

Named the Susitna, the ferry was built as a Navy prototype that would be owned and operated by the borough. The project was funded mainly with Department of Defense earmarks wedged into the federal budget by then-U.S. Sen. Ted Stevens
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Re: Your Money at uh work

Would have liked some more detail in there about why the Navy doesn't take it, if it was built to be a landing craft. Sounds like it's not suitable for such purposes either. Just a weird way to get the money allocated to build the thing.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I think the Navy does not want it because it is a freaking ferry not a fast landing craft
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 03-31-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    seeya
    dan

From the same people who brought you the $800

Attachment 1930

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I think the Navy does not want it because it is a freaking ferry not a fast landing craft
    I would assume so, but I wonder what non-ferry aspects it has given it has horrid mileage and limited capacity. I wonder if it really was some messed up hybrid that didn't work or just a pure dodge to get them a ferry.

Maybe they can use this ferry to replace the road to nowhere.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

If they would close the door on the aft end it would probably be more fuel efficient
    seeya
    dan

Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Thanks Doc. That's one funky ship. Does remind me of an amphibious assault craft where they released the boats out the back. A "Catamaran ice breaker". Um, OK.

Must be like an iceberg, 2/3rds of it are under water. No wonder the fuel mileage is so poor. The freaking propulsion units are 3 feet out of the water.

Doc, is that really an image of the craft we are bemoaning?
    seeya
    dan

Yep, that she be.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.