Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Joe Biden: "This is just the beginning"

Joe Biden: "This is just the beginning"

For anyone wondering why there isn't "common sense gun control", i.e. the NRA being willing to give on things like universal background checks, this should provide the explanation. How do you reach a compromise with people determined to use it only as a stepping stone? My analogy of the Native American tribes and the US government in westward expansion is a good one, and Biden just rode in with sword drawn to prove my point.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/fe...his-issue.aspx

on a Wednesday conference call organized by "Mayors Against Illegal Guns," Biden referred to current anti-gun legislation and told his anti-gun supporters, "Let me say this as clearly as I can: this is just the beginning."
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Slippery slope is always an issue. At some point you live with it, depending on the issue, as refusal to compromise can break a system, but everything is a balancing act.

Sent using Forum Runner. All typos excused.

Re: Joe Biden: "This is just the beginning"

A good compromise means no one is happy, and this is no different, but at a tactical level is where this becomes cowboys and indians b/c this isn't a compromise. The laws they want to pass as "common sense" are doomed to fail, we all know it, but then they can use that failure to justify "fixing" them with the next round of things they want, and those opposed are in a weaker position to stop them.

I don't like that I'm against something I could maybe live with b/c it may lead to something I can't live with, but the point here is this is why the NRA and others are digging in their heels and more important that it's BOTH sides digging in their heels. When the opponent can't even finish this round of battles before vowing to go much father it's not exactly going to lead to trust and compromise. It's going to lead to just what we see, a battle to the death over everything.

I understand these are issues with most any political battle, just don't try to convince me only one side is unwilling to compromise. No there isn't much room to compromise with the NRA, but there isn't any more room with Biden or Bloomberg. There may be some "common sense" somewhere in the middle of the two sides, but I guarantee Biden/Bloomberg aren't advancing its cause any more than the NRA.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

If joe Biden is for something, that usually is all you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post

lol. Good point. The US record on Vice PResidents is amazingly poor. We've had some incredible people rise to that particular office over the centuries.

Rupp's Runt

And THAT, my friends, is the unvarnished truth!
    MOLON LABE!

Mayors Against Illegal Guns
    I am still thinking about this
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Dan, after the "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" group was founded a lot of mayors jumped on board, based on the name. They then jumped off because Bloomberg wants all guns to be illegal to own.

Biden and Pelosi are doing exactly what the NRA has long predicted would be done with any gun legislation, use it to promote more gun legislation. The anti-gun politicians have proclaimed they just want a few commonsense restrictions, which as Biden and Pelosi point out is an outright lie.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    I am still thinking about this
    They are to the right of "Mayors Against Legal Guns" but to the left of "Mayors for illegal guns"
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

And the Vice President headed off on his 3rd vacation of the year on Friday. He works sooooo hard
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    And the Vice President headed off on his 3rd vacation of the year on Friday. He works sooooo hard
    I want to be VP. Where do I sign up?

Based on the current direction of the office you're overqualified.

There have been some great men in the role, but just as many drooling idiots. Adams, Jefferson, John C. Calhoun, Teddy Roosevelt, Harry Truman, Bush I, all great men, but then we get into the 60s with Agnew, Mondale, Dan Quayle, Al Gore, now Biden. If the trend continues next up is going to be someone whose resume was built at a Sea World performance park.

Rupp's Runt

Well Citizen, I think Sammy the Seal would be a huge improvement over what we currently have. J/S.
    MOLON LABE!

Unforgettable

I have said this before here but it is worth repeating because of this thread. When I was a sales rep in the sporting goods industry, one of the retailers I was very close to and respected a lot once told me the NRA would never compromise. He said it wasn't because they didn't believe some things needed to change, but it was because the pendulum would not swing to the middle and be common sense, the pendulum would swing all the way to the other side because liberals didn't want compromise they wanted it all their way.
    This has nothing to do with those children in Conn or Colorado or any of the other shootings, it has all to do with making the far left happy, getting campaign donations in huge amounts, and taking as many guns and laws away from us as possible. They don't care about those children, if they truly did they woudl do more for mental illness and they would take some of those billions they waste on such things as studying the sex life of a snail, and put police officers in every school. Not armed teachers but police officers or retired police officers, retired MP's from the military, guys who are trained to take down an enemy combatant. You do that, you eliminate school shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    A good compromise means no one is happy, and this is no different, but at a tactical level is where this becomes cowboys and indians b/c this isn't a compromise. The laws they want to pass as "common sense" are doomed to fail, we all know it, but then they can use that failure to justify "fixing" them with the next round of things they want, and those opposed are in a weaker position to stop them.

I don't like that I'm against something I could maybe live with b/c it may lead to something I can't live with, but the point here is this is why the NRA and others are digging in their heels and more important that it's BOTH sides digging in their heels. When the opponent can't even finish this round of battles before vowing to go much father it's not exactly going to lead to trust and compromise. It's going to lead to just what we see, a battle to the death over everything.

I understand these are issues with most any political battle, just don't try to convince me only one side is unwilling to compromise. No there isn't much room to compromise with the NRA, but there isn't any more room with Biden or Bloomberg. There may be some "common sense" somewhere in the middle of the two sides, but I guarantee Biden/Bloomberg aren't advancing its cause any more than the NRA.

they would take some of those billions they waste on such things as studying the sex life of a snail, and put police officers in every school. Not armed teachers but police officers or retired police officers, retired MP's from the military, guys who are trained to take down an enemy combatant. You do that, you eliminate school shootings.
    Could not agree more.
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    They don't care about those children, if they truly did they woudl do more for mental illness and they would take some of those billions they waste on such things as studying the sex life of a snail, and put police officers in every school. Not armed teachers but police officers or retired police officers, retired MP's from the military, guys who are trained to take down an enemy combatant. You do that, you eliminate school shootings.
    Still the only solution put on the table that has a real chance of protecting children, and the only one they won't support. The ugly cynic in me makes me want to say that if the security really made a difference and these nightmares stopped or if someone tried and was stopped by an armed officer, that wouldn't do much to further the anti-gun agenda. It might even lead to calls for more armed security in more places, something they clearly don't want.

That sounds almost conspiratorial, and certainly nasty, so I'll chalk it up to just being foolish as opposed to not caring. Blinded by their fear of guns into a singular course of action that is almost universally agreed to be ineffective. They just can't see how sometimes more of a thing they think is bad, used properly, can be good. They see armed security as more guns "around kids", and that just cannot possibly be a good idea in their minds. Just like how they think a "gun free zone" sign makes a place safer.
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 03-30-2013 at 11:37 PM.

You are too smart so you don't fit the job description.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.