Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WCS tweet

Re: WCS tweet

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post

However in some cases there is greater potential for improvement on a NBA roster or in the D-league due to lack of restrictions that are present in the NCAA. No 20 hr rule, better facilities and equip etc... The key is having the maturity and drive to do it on the NBA without the structure presented by a college program. So IMO one should ignore the salary scale of the first contract and instead focus on the second contract, being productive enough to maximize that contract. Look at the numbers. The difference between the 7th and the 16th pick is "only" a million dollars. That might seem a lot but compare to the difference in potential pay out after 3 years, its chump change.
    You have to pay attention to the 1st contract b/c of several factors. One is the time value of money of course, but also the fact that risk/variance in outcome goes up as we go forward in time. The uncertainty of the 2nd contract should push me to a higher rate on it, but it would be better to value it in a binary branch model. what that means is the 1st conrtract's value is amplified by its relative certainty.

It also depends on which one we're talking about. The #30 contract is worth $4.5 million in discounted dollars, not a "lot" as you said, but the #1 contract is $20.4 million. that's a LOT of money regardless of 2nd contract. Even assuming the big monster contract of $8m/yr for 5 years, top tier money, that 1st contract is still 42.95% of the 9 year NPV.

Another factor we haven't discussed is marketing/endorsements. A player who has contributed more for 3 years has more fans, more shoe interest, etc. which is all valuable to a franchise. If year 3 looks good but is basically your rookie year for the fans your off court value is likely to be lower.

But in general we agree. You have 3 years to make your case for a 4th and that big 2nd contract. No doubt doing the things that maximizes your contribution and value in year 3 are very important. I also agree versus a lot of schools the NBA may be a better environment to develop, but not versus UK. No pro team can beat what we have, and no NBDL facility can hold a candle to it for staff or resources.

Just for kicks I ran the 1st contract % of total NPV in my 9 year contract calculation, again with the $8m/yr 2nd contract for 5 years.

Pick 1st % of Total
    1 43%
    2 40%
    3 38%
    4 35%
    5 33%
    6 31%
    7 29%
    8 27%
    9 26%
    10 25%
    11 24%
    12 23%
    13 23%
    14 22%
    15 21%
    16 20%
    17 20%
    18 19%
    19 18%
    20 17%
    21 17%
    22 17%
    23 16%
    24 16%
    25 15%
    26 15%
    27 15%
    28 15%
    29 14%
    30 14%
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Unforgettable

It all depends on what he wants to do and whether his family truly needs the money now vs one more year. I imagine seeing what happened to Nerlens will enter into his decision.

All of us look at it as adults and what "we" think is best, but put era of us in his shoes we may make the same decision he will.

And if his grandparents are white, then why is he black? One parent is evidently white so he is as much white as black.

Whatever he does I appreciate him being a Cat

I agree with others the big guy needs another year to work on his offense, however, this draft is WEAK and I fully expect him to take advantage of that
    "So KY hires, FSU DC Mark Stoops...Does that excite anybody?" Finebaum

Hes a goner boys
    Go Cats!

I thought Willie was gone after hearing his comments after the Robert Morris game. I still believe that to be the case. I wish him well.

It's pretty much a sideline to the topic here, but I'll never figure out fans who insist upon ridiculing and blasting UK athletes. I read a conversation Willie had with one such fan, who told him that the D-League needed subs, too, and berated him for his decisions.

Interesting comments from WCS, who did not seem to be that bothered by the guy, other than saying the guy didn't know him. WCS rejected the guy's comment that you play for the name on the front of your shirt, rather than the back, telling the guy that you had to play with enough pride for the name on the BACK of your shirt, not the front--or so Cal told him. Calipari does things a different way, and it's not "all about the school"--it just works out that way for a mutually beneficial relationship. And the kids who leave the school end up loving the school.

Anyway, just an aside.

Fiddlin' Five

Quote Originally Posted by ukblue View Post
    With the way the NBA drafts on potential WCS most likely is gone. However if the NBA advisory board advises him to come back it will be all good for us.
    A serious question. Does he start next year? How many minutes does he play? Let's not forget we have Johnson and Lee coming in and they are GOOD.

JMO, but Willie Cauley-Stein would start over both Johnson and Lee.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    JMO, but Willie Cauley-Stein would start over both Johnson and Lee.
    If he doesn't, I can't wait to see Johnson and Lee