Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: What's Happened to the Officiating?

What's Happened to the Officiating?

We all know that refs allow more contact during the tournament but the end of today's Cincinnati - Creighton game was horrible. UC was trying to catch up. The refs allowed them to mug Creighton players at will. They called some of the really blatant fouls but others were ignored.

And the NCAA needs to look at it's Flagrant 1 rule. I have no problem wanting to protect players. If a player is swinging his elbows in a violent manner by all means it should be a Flagrant 1. But it's apparent that some coaches are teaching their players to flop anytime an opponent raises his elbows. It's obvious that players are being told to trap as closely as possible (bumping your opponent isn't likely to be called), maybe even to stick their face in to the other player's body. The result is that any big guy over 6'7" is a target for smaller guards.

The refs haven't figured this tactic out yet. We saw good example from Captain Clappy a few weeks ago late in a game. When during a timeout he demonstrated the fake flop to his players.

Refs have to step up and stop this physical play. It ruins the flow of the game.

Re: What's Happened to the Officiating?

IIRC, the conventional wisdom has always been that less contact is allowed in the Tournament.

I agree though that UC - Creighton looked to be a mess and the flagrant foul rules suck.
    I wouldn't pull for UofL if they were playing the Taliban.

Maybe Ricky 15 got to them so the cards run their slap attack defense
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

The officiating in the GT/FGCU game was bad to. Looked like HS out there as well as the scorekeeper.

If it continues like that, go ahead and engrave Louisville's name on the trophy.

I watched a couple of minutes of the Notre Dame-Iowa State game and had a good chuckle. Every time one of ND's players tried to lean on a defender in order to body up and shoot, the Cyclones players would merely back off, causing the ND players to stumble around while trying to shoot. They're used to a certain style of play in the Big East and ISU isn't cooperating.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    If it continues like that, go ahead and engrave Louisville's name on the trophy.
    Or Duke maybe... What better time to clean the game up than when K's boys get in a tough one? Tobacco Road and ESPN wont relinquish their self aggrandized "Big Two"'s dominance without a fight
    Last edited by kingcat; 03-23-2013 at 02:22 PM.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain