Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Remington Arms pulls stakes in New York and Heads South

Remington Arms pulls stakes in New York and Heads South

LaGrange, Georgia will be their new home for corporate offices and for manufacturing. Linkage
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Re: Remington Arms pulls stakes in New York and Heads South

Wanted that industry in Montana.

Kentucky hasn't gone after any of this business, which makes no sense at all.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Kentucky hasn't gone after any of this business, which makes no sense at all.
    CBBN, look at who your Governor is. And the State Legislature is full of posers. And look at how overtaxed you guys there are. Even if approached, Remington wouldn't have given the Commonwealth of Kentucky a good sniff.
    MOLON LABE!

I think announced a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    I think announced a year ago.
    Sorry if it is old news. I could not find a publish date in the article, so thought maybe it was relevant,
    seeya
    dan

So Montana is home to some increasing firearms industry. We have rules friendly to in-state manufacturers. I also noticed Sheridan Wyoming got a renowned rifle manufacturer to locate there.

There is a difference in the industry if you are a company trying to sell to the US military, you might need better transportation and political connections a larger state will bring.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    CBBN, look at who your Governor is. And the State Legislature is full of posers. And look at how overtaxed you guys there are. Even if approached, Remington wouldn't have given the Commonwealth of Kentucky a good sniff.
    It's funny b/c in Florida they have no income tax, just property tax, and out of curiosity and long term planning I did some looking at the tax rates there.

The property taxes on a home equivalent to mine are actually lower, and I mean about half, as well as having no income tax. WTF???

Now, values there are higher, so you have way more tax base, but it's still a crazy outcome that not only would I cut out all income taxes at the state level, and local level, but I would also actually save on property taxes to move to Florida.

No wonder everyone is going there. Duh.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Sales taxes on tourism rentals is a big driver of income in coastal counties. Past that it’s higher property volume and the volume of sales in those properties. My wife works in that business down here, and it’s mind boggling what transfers here. Especially since many of the sales are cash and carry no inflated mortgage costs.

Note: Sheridan, Wy a very nice little town, got Weatherby.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
    Note: Sheridan, Wy a very nice little town, got Weatherby.
    Top shelf company and top shelf weapons. Kudos to Wyoming
    seeya
    dan

Quote Originally Posted by Catonahottinroof View Post
    Sales taxes on tourism rentals is a big driver of income in coastal counties. Past that it’s higher property volume and the volume of sales in those properties. My wife works in that business down here, and it’s mind boggling what transfers here. Especially since many of the sales are cash and carry no inflated mortgage costs.
    No doubt. The values are just higher across the board, so they can afford to charge less per property as a percentage.

But it's pretty stunning the difference. When you then consider there is no income tax that difference is really amazing. Now, cost of living in much of Florida is higher, but the tax differences offset a lot of that, thus the demand to retire there. Along with the lack of snow of course.

No doubt. The values are just higher across the board, so they can afford to charge less per property as a percentage.

But it's pretty stunning the difference. When you then consider there is no income tax that difference is really amazing. Now, cost of living in much of Florida is higher, but the tax differences offset a lot of that, thus the demand to retire there. Along with the lack of snow of course.
    As a Floridian, I can say that the local taxes (IE Real estate) are much higher, plus cost of living make the difference not as great. We planned on staying inFL upon retirement for the tax advantages (6 months and a day in FL, 5 months and 29 days in CO) but financially it is not the advantage it is made out to be. Also, the price of real estate-houses in FL is far more than say KY. Heck, the house I am in , were it in KY would probably be 25% less to purchase. Now throw in insurance, which in FL is now ridiculous! I pay $12,000 a year premiums in FL while my house in CO is 25% of that. All of that does make a difference

Of course we are still holding to the more in FL than elsewhere due to the grandkid......
    Last edited by Doc; 03-04-2024 at 02:49 PM.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    As a Floridian, I can say that the local taxes (IE Real estate) are much higher, plus cost of living make the difference not as great. We planned on staying inFL upon retirement for the tax advantages (6 months and a day in FL, 5 months and 29 days in CO) but financially it is not the advantage it is made out to be. Also, the price of real estate-houses in FL is far more than say KY. Heck, the house I am in , were it in KY would probably be 25% less to purchase. Now throw in insurance, which in FL is now ridiculous! I pay $12,000 a year premiums in FL while my house in CO is 25% of that. All of that does make a difference

Of course we are still holding to the more in FL than elsewhere due to the grandkid......
    My math says it's likely a wash, or close enough, compared to where I am in Kentucky versus where I want to be in Florida when/if I retire. There's every chance I'll just drop dead from the stress before I quit, lol.

The lack of income taxes and lower property taxes are a plus, and I've looked at local taxes where I want to go which are lower than average for Florida b/c their real estate is so insanely expensive. So you definitely get VASTLY more house for the money in Lexington, no doubt. Also lexington is cheaper in which to live, no doubt.

But I also pay 6% state tax, plus 2.5% local, plus higher property taxes, actually more than double in fact, which offsets most of that cost, if not all.

Also it doesn't snow where I want to live.

If I was rich, and I am accepting donations, I would snowbird. I'd have a house in Florida and one here, and bounce back and forth. Many do, but the math on two homes, etc. is much tougher. I'm thinking of giving blood plasma as part of my retirement package.

Did I mention I want a jet to be able to do that? I really dislike flying these days, and a jet seems really nice. So I need about 5 mil for a good used one I think. You can PM me for wire transfers as you choose.

That is the biggest benefit of living here, to me at least. The lowest temp we’ve seen all winter is 42 degrees.
    Doc touched on the insurance issues here, both auto and property are out of control. It DeSantis was on his first term he’d have a battle on his hands due to the insurance issues, some of which aren’t his doing, but he carries the blame for all of it.

That is the biggest benefit of living here, to me at least. The lowest temp we’ve seen all winter is 42 degrees.
    Doc touched on the insurance issues here, both auto and property are out of control. It DeSantis was on his first term he’d have a battle on his hands due to the insurance issues, some of which aren’t his doing, but he carries the blame for all of it.
    Where I want to live is a flood zone, or most of it. Yeah, the insurance is a thing.

But it's nothing to what I carry on my business, so that helped me feel better.

Did I mention I want a jet to be able to do that? I really dislike flying these days, and a jet seems really nice. So I need about 5 mil for a good used one I think. You can PM me for wire transfers as you choose.
    You and Darrell should look into starting a Uber Air franchise business.
    seeya
    dan

My math says it's likely a wash, or close enough, compared to where I am in Kentucky versus where I want to be in Florida when/if I retire. There's every chance I'll just drop dead from the stress before I quit, lol.

The lack of income taxes and lower property taxes are a plus, and I've looked at local taxes where I want to go which are lower than average for Florida b/c their real estate is so insanely expensive. So you definitely get VASTLY more house for the money in Lexington, no doubt. Also lexington is cheaper in which to live, no doubt.

But I also pay 6% state tax, plus 2.5% local, plus higher property taxes, actually more than double in fact, which offsets most of that cost, if not all.

If I was rich, and I am accepting donations, I would snowbird. I'd have a house in Florida and one here, and bounce back and forth. Many do, but the math on two homes, etc. is much tougher. I'm thinking of giving blood plasma as part of my retirement package.

I doubt your property taxes are higher. Of course I am in Jupiter which is pretty steep. My house in Stuart had a property tax of under 5K. Jupiter is nearly 3x that. Of course bigger house but not 3 times bigger. Heck, my $1200 sf townhouse in Orlando is 2K a year. I'm not sure if that is more or less than Lex, but suspect more.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

My move from Martin to palm beach county resulted in a $300 increase in auto insurance and that is every 6 months.

The auto insurance rates could be lowered in many parts of Florida if the resident drivers would learn how to drive in a manner that championed safety instead of running over each other to get there first.
    seeya
    dan

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    The auto insurance rates could be lowered in many parts of Florida if the resident drivers would learn how to drive in a manner that championed safety instead of running over each other to get there first.
    Ain't that the truth?
    MOLON LABE!

Down here in Naples, it would be the snowbird New Yorkers that cause road chaos…..

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I doubt your property taxes are higher. Of course I am in Jupiter which is pretty steep. My house in Stuart had a property tax of under 5K. Jupiter is nearly 3x that. Of course bigger house but not 3 times bigger. Heck, my $1200 sf townhouse in Orlando is 2K a year. I'm not sure if that is more or less than Lex, but suspect more.
    Yours is somewhat higher. Jupiter per google is 1.44%. Fayette county is 1.1%. Where I'm looking in Florida is around 0.81%, so yes Fayette is a good bit higher. Orlando is 1.31%, slightly higher than Lexington but not vastly.

When you consider Fayette county has 2.5% income tax, and state has 6%, and Florida is zero, it's still tax wise much cheaper for most people. Where I'm looking its cheaper across the board.

The offset there is insurance obviously. I haven't run all of that yet, but I'm betting it's at least a wash for me.
    Last edited by CitizenBBN; 03-12-2024 at 10:36 PM.

Rupp's Runt

Down here in Naples, it would be the snowbird New Yorkers that cause road chaos…..
    THAT is a true statement, and it doesn't just apply to Naples alone. And you can add in everyone from Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Michigan, Iowa, Indiana, Maine, Vermont, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Delaware......and I'm seeing a lot more Commiefornia plates here these days, along with Kansas, Nebraska, Illinois........every year it's like a plague of locusts descends on us here.
    MOLON LABE!