Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Stanley Cup Craze and hydration

Stanley Cup Craze and hydration

Common sense article here.

https://slate.com/technology/2024/01...le-target.html

Having said that, I am part of the problem. I have Yetis, Contigos, Ozark Trails, RTIC, complete generic ones, and my current favorite, a Takeya.

I do my best to use them - I make 3 cups of green tea in one of them, one of them holds nothing but water, one of them is my iced green tea cup (it holds more and I can fill it with ice), one is my flavored water cup, one is a travel coffee cup, one is at my office, one is at the office where I have an association (and an office), etc. So I don't feel too bad about the accumulation of them, given that I use them like this. But could I get away with 3 or 4 instead? Probably.

Re: Stanley Cup Craze and hydration

Tal Ranger 24 oz.JPG

What I have used for the last several years at work and at home.
    Keeps ice like crazy and they are do not "sweat".
    Hand wash is the only downside.
    I have black and Grammy has an assortment of mint, bright pink and blue slate.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

I have a Tervis 2012 national championship tumbler that's my pride and joy. I try to use that one a little less so I can extend its useful life.

I also have the Walmart equivalent of a Yeti (Arctic Trail, I think they call it) that I like just fine, except you have to hand wash it (first world problems).

I also got this UK cup

as a gift a few years ago. Structurally it's still good, but the paint is starting to scratch off. I can't just throw away ugly things that still work, so it's still in the rotation, much to Mrs. BEvans' consternation.

She wanted a pretty Yeti mug that I bought her for Christmas and she really likes it and doesn't understand the pink Stanley fad.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 01-19-2024 at 08:42 AM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

I don’t understand the hand wash thing. I abided by it for awhile with the yeti’s but eventually started putting them in the dishwasher. I can’t tell any difference.

^The new Yetis (at least the one Mrs. BEvans wanted) are supposedly dishwasher-safe, which won me over.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

This will probably gross some of you out, but I rarely truly wash those drinking cups/mugs/etc.

I buy a box of Efferdent enzyme tablets (100 in the box) and when I think about it, drop one or two in it. Then I take a paper towel and wipe it clean. I don't truly clean any of them the way you would a regular glass or dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    This will probably gross some of you out, but I rarely truly wash those drinking cups/mugs/etc.

I buy a box of Efferdent enzyme tablets (100 in the box) and when I think about it, drop one or two in it. Then I take a paper towel and wipe it clean. I don't truly clean any of them the way you would a regular glass or dishes.
    Better than my coffee mug at work. I call the residue on the inside "flavor crystals." I wash it every year or so whether I need to or not. The acid hasn't penetrated the metal interior--yet.

Good! Glad I'm not the only one.

By the way, The Athletic wrote an article on this today. Maybe they are monitoring our site...

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...rbucks/677190/

Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
    Better than my coffee mug at work. I call the residue on the inside "flavor crystals." I wash it every year or so whether I need to or not. The acid hasn't penetrated the metal interior--yet.
    Flavor crystals, seasoning, whatever you want to call it just means more taste...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Rupp's Runt

I have an RTIC 30 ounce that I use every day. I hand wash it every day. I only drink filtered water from it, and use filtered ice. I never drink hot drinks from it. And the only hot drinks I indulge in are coffee(I have my favorite UK mug that I have used for well over 25 years or so for that, and for hot green tea). I also had it clear coated, as I have an American flag design on it of stars and the stripes are different rifles. My partner from the Courthouse & his wife gifted that to me for my birthday many years ago.
    I have a Kentucky Tervis 20 ounce cup, but I don't use it much. It doesn't seem to keep the ice very long, for some reason. Maybe because it's a smaller cup? IDK, I'm not an engineer.
    And when I have an occasional bourbon & cola I have a glass tumbler that I use.

That RTIC cup keeps ice a long time, and my water is always cold.
    MOLON LABE!

I rarely go anywhere without my 20 oz yeti tumbler. It is always full of ice cubes,and water or soda. I know they work well for coffee, tea and soup to keep those liquids hot, but my 20 plus year old stainless yeti has never been filled with hot liquids. I have a ceramic mug for hot stuff. And for the cleanliness addicts, I do put my yeti thru a dishwasher cycle about once every couple of months.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I have a couple pints and I’m fine…

Okay, seriously, yeti pint size tumblers fit in the cup holders and are right for beer & coffee. I didn’t know about the beer until TAMU.

Short fat rtics in the camper, a 20 oz arctic was a mistake, and a 64 with the little figure on it for the “daily water intake”

I hate all glasses now.especially wine glasses.

Those coffee cups at work are gross, guys. And wash behind your ears, too.

seeya
    dan

OK, not eating at Darrell's, BEvans......

I really don't get the brand crazy, Yeti now Stanley. I completely get not generating a metric ton of plastic waste with disposable bottles and try to avoid it whenever possible. I have a Yeti, from my wife's collection, and the rest are just whatever. We have 6-8 we rotate.

I do actually wash them however, b/c you know, I have indoor plumbing to do that with, but I do have to hand wash the one from Green Parrot b/c it has a foam bottom. Helps a lot when the bar is slick so you don't spill your drink.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

I don't get it. I've just extended to 5 second rule to 5-months. Sounds reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    I don't get it. I've just extended to 5 second rule to 5-months. Sounds reasonable to me.
    About 1am at the Green Parrot it sounds reasonable to me too, which is why it probably isn't.

I will go a few days with a cup that has had only water, rinse it and refill it and go, but especially the lids need a good scrubbing for me.

Now, when I was younger I'd eat pizza that had sat out for 3 days or so, but then I starting having women in my life and had to change my bachelor ways.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    About 1am at the Green Parrot it sounds reasonable to me too, which is why it probably isn't.

I will go a few days with a cup that has had only water, rinse it and refill it and go, but especially the lids need a good scrubbing for me.

Now, when I was younger I'd eat pizza that had sat out for 3 days or so, but then I starting having women in my life and had to change my bachelor ways.
    Hey, if my wife wants to wash my yeti before it is time, I don't object as long as it is ready for use when I need a cold drink.
    seeya
    dan