Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Charleston, SC restaurants

Charleston, SC restaurants

Seeing the Savannah thread made me want to ask for recommendations for Charleston. Mrs. BEvans and I are going there next month for the first time for about 8 nights. It seems every restaurant review we read says that restaurant is the best restaurant ever, which may be the case, but hoping the hive mind could give us some recommendations. We're looking for a good Sunday brunch place, a place for Valentine's Day and some good seafood shack/BBQ recommendations, at a minimum. Thanks.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Rupp's Runt

Re: Charleston, SC restaurants

They are all good. Seriously, I don't know the names. But I've enjoyed every place we have been to in Charleston. I'm sure others will be able to help, if not, I can find some of the ones we ate at on Google. Or my wife might remember.

If you make it to Isle of Palms, my daughter and I enjoyed eating breakfast at this little bitty place called Sea Biscuit Cafe.

I was in Charleston in May 2021 coming out of COVID for a conference week. We really enjoyed the city although they still had a lot of mask prohibitions at the time.

For some reason I did not do any TripAdvisor reviews.

We stayed in the Historic Charelston Place hotel in the old town. Great place but guessing pricy if not a business expense and conference rate. Many places just repoening coming out of Covid restrictions so may not be the best time for me to give reccomendations.

I remember we enjoyed a dinner at Cru Cafe and would go back.

One night we also ate a the Fleet Landing Restaurant. The Location (on the water) is great. Food was ok. Not bad. just not special either.

Another place we liked was FIG. Really enjoyed it as well. Fig and Cru jump out from memory but cannot recall what we had and again, cannot believe I did not review.

Charleston, SC restaurants

Poogan’s Porch (shrimp and grits)
    Magnoli was very good
    Jestines Kitchen, everything, but you better be hungry.

There was a seafood restaurant overlooking a marina over by Point Pleasant, cannot for the life of me remember the name but it was one of the best restaurants we ate at during our two week meander from Charleston to Amelia Island.

Please send me a couple of bags of benne wafers… we stumbled over them at the open air market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Just got back from our Charleston trip. Quick thoughts:

--February weather was cool. A couple of days were sunny and 70, a couple were rainy and high 50s, and the rest were cloudy and low 60s.
    --The peninsula felt Disney World expensive. We went to London last fall and as expensive as it can be, downtown Charleston felt more expensive, especially in restaurants and parking.
    --The farther south on the peninsula, the prettier and more historic it is. We enjoyed browsing the City Market, walking along the Battery, doing an historic walking tour and eating at a restored Charleston Single (Delaney's Oyster House) for Valentines.
    --We stayed in a restored house in north Charleston. That area is in transition (some would probably say becoming gentrified). On the same street you could have very nice places and cool restaurants within 1-2 blocks, and next door an abandoned property that should be condemned.
    --Favorite things we did: historic walking tour by Free Tours By Foot, visiting the Angel Oak Tree (a 400 year old live oak that describing as absolutely humongous is an understatement) and visiting Magnolia Plantation. The gardens were absolutely beautiful and they talked a lot about the slavery aspect of the plantation, too. $37 gets you in twice in a calendar year. Pricey but worth it, IMHO.
    --We went to Fort Sumter and I didn't enjoy it. You have to take a ferry out to it, which costs $37 (funny how many tourist attractions in the Charleston area are $35-$37), and you only get an hour onsite. That wasn't enough time, so we didn't get to visit the onsite museum or parts of the fort. It was nice visiting a part of history, but you can see it from other nearby vantage points, like Fort Moultrie, and save the $37 for a bourbon and coke South of Broad.
    --We were there for 8 days and took our time. (Mrs. BEvans did genealogy research at the College of Charleston for a day and a half during rainy weather.) I'd say you could see most of what there is to see in about 4 days. I can see where it would be nice to stay in a beach condo in warm weather for a week and have Charleston to visit if you get bored on the beach.
    --Every place we ate was great, but I'd say the top 3 were Delaney Oyster House on Calhoun St., Harold's Cabin about 5 minutes from our AirBnB, and Saltwater Cowboys on Shem Creek in Mt. Pleasant.
    Last edited by KSRBEvans; 02-20-2024 at 03:20 PM.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Great info for future visits, BEvans. Glad the two of you had a good time.

I can also recommend Poogan’s Porch. Had my daughter’s graduation dinner there and it was fabulous……Another my wife and I are very fond of is Sol in Mt Pleasant.