Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Send your kids to UNC

Fiddlin' Five

Send your kids to UNC

For a good education (you won't even have to go to class) in a safe environment (other than sex assault). It just gets better and better (not really)

North Carolina university faces federal probe of sexual assault cases
    By Marti Maguire
    RALEIGH, North Carolina (Reuters) - The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has less than three weeks to respond to a probe by federal education officials into allegations of wide-ranging problems with the way the school handles sexual assault cases.

A complaint filed in January by five women claims that reports of sexual harassment and assault have not been properly investigated by the state's flagship public university.

The women, who include current and former students and a former administrator, also accuse the school of suppressing information regarding the prevalence of such incidents.

In an open letter to the campus community on Friday, university Chancellor Holden Thorp said the school would cooperate with the investigation by the U.S. Department of Education.

"In fact, we welcome it," he said. "Our response will show how the university has made significant changes in the past 18 months about how sexual assault complaints are handled."

The allegations against the school have prompted campus rallies and drawn national attention, particularly since one of the women in the complaint said she was accused of violating the school's honor code after speaking out about her alleged rape.

University officials said they have no control over charges made by the student-run Honor Court and deny that the school was retaliating against the student for filing the complaint.

Another woman in the complaint, who has publicly identified herself as a victim of sexual assault, compiled the stories of dozens of students whose similar claims she says were dismissed or downplayed by university officials.

"I was hearing stories almost every day, and I was the only one listening to them," student Andrea Pino said in an interview broadcast by the WRAL television station.

The March 1 letter announcing the investigation by the Education Department's Office for Civil Rights was released by UNC officials this week. Administrators have been asked to provide a detailed listing of all sexual harassment complaints, university policies and training materials by March 21.

The department said its decision to investigate did not suggest that a determination has been made about the merits of the complaint.

Thorp, whose tenure has been marred by revelations of academic fraud related to student athletes, has pledged to improve the school's handling of sexual assault cases before he leaves for a new job at Washington University in St. Louis this summer.

The University of North Carolina has hired a nationally recognized expert in sexual assault issues to hold discussions with students, teachers and staff over the next several weeks.

"To make meaningful changes that will improve how sexual assault is addressed at Carolina, we must have an open and honest dialogue," Thorp wrote in his letter on Friday.

"Sexual assault is one of the greatest challenges facing campuses across the nation, including Carolina, and it is an issue that I am committed to addressing before I leave office," he said.

Unforgettable

Re: Send your kids to UNC

Hard to believe Wasington U is taking this guy

Thorp, whose tenure has been marred by revelations of academic fraud related to student athletes, has pledged to improve the school's handling of sexual assault cases before he leaves for a new job at Washington University in St. Louis this summer.

On a personal note I'm deeply troubled to see this, as Wash U is my alma mater. I'm going to have to inquire what job this twit is going to do. I hope it's sweeping up the Rathskeller after closing hours.

I love how their answer is "we've made lots of improvements". Same answer they gave for the fraud. It's like "yeah it happened but since we're fixing it we get a pass, right?"
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fiddlin' Five

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post

On a personal note I'm deeply troubled to see this, as Wash U is my alma mater. I'm going to have to inquire what job this twit is going to do. I hope it's sweeping up the Rathskeller after closing hours.

I love how their answer is "we've made lots of improvements". Same answer they gave for the fraud. It's like "yeah it happened but since we're fixing it we get a pass, right?"

Sounds to me like he will be heading up the AA studies and chair the sexual assault cases.

Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
    Hard to believe Wasington U is taking this guy
    I'm honestly depressed about it. He's becoming provost, which in part is over academic integrity. I'm writing a hate mail to my school tonight. Man, this is just sad. I know he wasn't there for most of the time this was going on at UNC, but he was there enough and he's born of that system.

The school is tainted in my eyes. I wouldn't hire their lunch ladies.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
    Sounds to me like he will be heading up the AA studies and chair the sexual assault cases.
    Hey, I'm embarrassed enough as it is.

Fiddlin' Five

Hey, I'm embarrassed enough as it is.
    Is that why your face is red???

Is The Rathskeller a chain? Had a Reuben sandwich at a Rathskeller in Chapel Hill which was really good. Maybe that's why Thorp chose to go there.
    Cool as a rule, but sometimes bad is bad.

Unforgettable

[
    Chuck
    You need to write a letter that only you could write asking why such a great academic school would hire someone that so many bad things happened under his watch. I think they need to explain this hire to their alum base, especially if they plan on asking for any donations

QUOTE=CitizenBBN;63910]I'm honestly depressed about it. He's becoming provost, which in part is over academic integrity. I'm writing a hate mail to my school tonight. Man, this is just sad. I know he wasn't there for most of the time this was going on at UNC, but he was there enough and he's born of that system.

The school is tainted in my eyes. I wouldn't hire their lunch ladies.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by badrose View Post
    Is The Rathskeller a chain? Had a Reuben sandwich at a Rathskeller in Chapel Hill which was really good. Maybe that's why Thorp chose to go there.
    Don't know. Was it a bar? Ours was an on campus bar run as part of the student center. You had to like Anheiser beers, it is St. Louis after all, but you could drink your fill. I'm sure the nanny state has taken care of that by now.

Jazy -- I intend to write one. For all we know Thorp is the highest integrity guy on earth and was just wronged at UNC, but it doesn't matter. The image of integrity is critical, and this hurts Wash U's.