Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Savannah Georgia Restaurants

Savannah Georgia Restaurants

Hey guys, I have not been back to Savannah in about 10 years. Have a conference there next week and arrive this Sunday.

Any restaurants you reccomend? I know about Paula Dean's (and I really was not that impressed). Any others?

I should have a rental car so thinking about heading out to HHI for a couple of my favorite Restaurants.

Re: Savannah Georgia Restaurants

Can't recommend this personally, but a friend enjoyed "The Grey," which is inside an old Greyhound bus station. I understand it's really good, and not just a "hook" that it's built out of a Greyhound bus station (which, knowing me, would likely draw me to it anyway lol.)

I'm looking at the menu, and it doesn't "grab" me, though. Part of it is I'm allergic to shellfish, so the crab, shrimp, scallop, and oysters are a no-go for me. Lot of lamb there, and I've never been much on that, either. Oh, I always find something, but my choices are more limited, especially when you add allergies to tree nuts (nix the almond-based stuff) and sunflower seeds and oil.

Now that I talked it up, I personally would pass on it lol. You might enjoy it more, but overall, as I look at the menu, I'm not enthralled with it, either. You might have a different opinion.

Menu:
    https://thegreyrestaurant.com/dinner/

EDIT...meanwhile, this is the type of menu that grabs me, from The Olde Pink House.
    https://www.theoldepinkhouserestaurant.com/menus

^^^ The Old Pink House is outstanding. I’ve told anyone that asks, The Pirate House, get the honey pecan fried chicken, I’ve never heard a complaint… the seafood au gratin won’t disappoint either.

It’s been a few years since I’ve been, Savannah, was one of Ms. boss’s favorite places in the world.

I’ll have to look back to find names of some of favorite spots. I assure you, Paula Deans is not on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I probably heard it from you, Blueboss. I seem to remember you had several good suggestions.

PS. You weren't the one that mentioned The Grey to me. You may like it, but it doesn't seem like a strong contender.

Catonahottinrook and Blueboss hooked Grammy & I up the first time we went IIRC.

The Pirate House - saw Grammy DESTROY her fried chicken and didn't even offer me a bite...
    Mrs Wilkes - if you don't mind waiting in line...
    Praline's From the Candy Shop on River Street...
    Oh, and don't forget Leopold's for Ice Cream...

Pour Larry's if you are in search of Pub Grub...
    Moon River Brewing if you want to have a little late night snack and unwind. Had a Flight of beers and split the Fried Green Tomatoes with Grammy. The Wasabi aoli was to die for...

That does it for my remembery...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Rupp's Runt

We went to Leopold's for Ice Cream. It was worth our time.

We did Paula Dean's for lunch. As you said, not impressive. It was fine, but do something more Savannah specific. And we ate down by the water one day. I apologize that can't remember the name, but it was good. If nothing else, take a walk through there.

Thankfully, Boss and Pappy have you covered. I've been, but only for shorts stops. We spent a day there once and stopped once on our way home from Amelia Island to eat there once.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Can't recommend this personally, but a friend enjoyed "The Grey," which is inside an old Greyhound bus station. I understand it's really good, and not just a "hook" that it's built out of a Greyhound bus station (which, knowing me, would likely draw me to it anyway lol.)

I'm looking at the menu, and it doesn't "grab" me, though. Part of it is I'm allergic to shellfish, so the crab, shrimp, scallop, and oysters are a no-go for me. Lot of lamb there, and I've never been much on that, either. Oh, I always find something, but my choices are more limited, especially when you add allergies to tree nuts (nix the almond-based stuff) and sunflower seeds and oil.

Now that I talked it up, I personally would pass on it lol. You might enjoy it more, but overall, as I look at the menu, I'm not enthralled with it, either. You might have a different opinion.

Menu:
    https://thegreyrestaurant.com/dinner/

EDIT...meanwhile, this is the type of menu that grabs me, from The Olde Pink House.
    https://www.theoldepinkhouserestaurant.com/menus

I have eaten at the Olde Pink House. My God, probably in 2005/6. Cannnot believe it is still there. It was excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all of you. I know we are eating at a sponsor dinner on Monday night at Vic;s River Grill which evidently is the #1 restaurant there. Not sure if we have a limited menu or not. Also appears you either love it or just ok. so, we will see.

I will make a sojourn back to the Olde Pink House. I was alone ad a Health Clinic Conference when I was there last in 2006ish. Happy it is still there. I told my wife then we had to come to Savannah and if so eat TOPH.

The Pirates House looks great. Not sure they take reservations but they are officially on my list. The other one I will consider is The Cotton Exchange which looks like good Casual...

I believe you are going to be eating well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1790 for date night…food/was outstanding and the ambiance intimate.

Ms boss (God rest her soul) was a bit of a ghost hunter which led us to 1790. It is alleged that the Inn/restaurant is haunted, as is most things in Savannah… not sure about ghosts, but boy did we find a gem for dining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Looks like you have it covered but i would recommend:

1. The Old Pink House - I took my wife there for our anniversary and you can call ahead and reserve the wine celler and sit in that area its pretty amazing for two people. The bar area is great and theres lots of history of meetings of our countrys leaders over near that couch area.

2. Vics - I can attest the food is great and make sure you check out the civil war maps they have preserved which were drawn on the walls around the restaurant.

3. The Boars Head - Kind of a dive but a cool place for Lunch and the food used to be great, especially the lobster bisque.

4. b Matthews Eatery - Amazing breakfast/brunch place

5. Mrs Wilkes - worth doing one time if you havent, it was really good. I randomly met a coworker from south carolina from the first time while in line then we ate at the same table together....we shared the same first and last name so had gotten each others emails for years lol.

6. Peacock Lounge - If you like to have a drink this is a cool old speakeasy and used to have an amazing drink they would form a bubble on but i think got banned by the city.

7. Marshall House Hotel Bar - This is a nice old bar in the haunted and historic marshall house, food isnt bad either.

As others have said, say no to Paula Dean unless you want to go once. I would also make sure to visit river street for River Street Sweets Pecan Pralines, then go down the road for some more sugar and get a Wet Willies drink. We hit up a few of the rooftop bars and they have amazing views of the river. Fort Jackson and the Webbs Museum are great for history. I think of the 5 ghost tours we've done 4 of them were awful despite the reviews being good. i mean awful. Art Galleries are cool and Boneventure Cemetery is very cool i would definitely spend some time walking around there.
    Go Cats!