Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Facebook Scammers

Facebook Scammers

I don't know what the scam is on this, but those of you who Facebook have seen this, I'm sure. Somebody who is not a "friend" of the original poster makes a post saying they share a lot of common interests, or what the person writes is very intelligent and they'd like to be Facebook friends. They usually use a fake pic and profile, I guess.

Anyway, a friend of mine posted a notice that his father passed away. There are like 80 posts on there sending prayers, saying his father was a good man, life well lived, was loved, etc. He died 3 weeks ago when the post was made.

Yesterday a new post appeared. Now, realize, there have been no posts made on that thread or post for two weeks. All my friend's friends posted within a few days, most within a day or two.

And then this one appeared. There's a similar one a week ago you'll see, too.

It's obvious they don't even read the posts.

By the way, anybody know what the scam is? My friend was with the DA's office for many years and obviously won't be scammed, but I am curious what the end game is for these fake people.

Re: Facebook Scammers

I don't know the scam, but I had made a post on a thread about African-American Civil War soldiers probably a year or more ago, and in the last couple of days received a notification. It was one of those "your posts are so interesting" (that's how I knew he/she/it didn't actually read my page, LOL) posts from a supposed woman. It was incredibly inappropriate in what is supposed to be for group members only, but I just ignored it. Perhaps I should have reported it to group admins. I might go back and try to find it to do so.

lol, Flounder. Your Civil War posts are interesting, but I suspect, not at all to the scammer.

I had to laugh--glad my friend didn't see me--reading the glowing obituary and the scammer posting that "she" loved the posts he made on Facebook and they shared the same interests.

Whatever it is, sounds like you had the same thing.

You can fix your settings to where only friends or friends of friends can comment on your posts. I think they’re mostly after your (and your friends’) personal information. No idea what they do with it though…identity theft probably.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    No idea what they do with it though…identity theft probably.
    Only takes one piece to start a puzzle. I've heard many stories over the years, and they all start with one piece of information they were able to obtain and from there they go to work putting the puzzle together.

Rupp's Runt

Also...

Do NOT respond to these people. Just delete it and move on. I see people posting all of the time like they are messing with the person. They are not, your responses can trigger the hack. Any kind of message/response such as FB, text, whatever. Don't click, don't respond, nothing.

I guess...I assumed that working in IT, my wife was smart enough to avoid this stuff. After last night, I'm going to make her sit through the cybersecurity training I offer at work.

Facebook Scammers

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Also...

Do NOT respond to these people. Just delete it and move on. I see people posting all of the time like they are messing with the person. They are not, your responses can trigger the hack. Any kind of message/response such as FB, text, whatever. Don't click, don't respond, nothing.

I guess...I assumed that working in IT, my wife was smart enough to avoid this stuff. After last night, I'm going to make her sit through the cybersecurity training I offer at work.
    My father in law is a very smart man. Retired engineer, senior VP with a Fortune 500 company, consultant for many years after retiring.

He consistently picks up the phone and calls those pop up things telling him that his computer screen is infected and he needs to call this number... If he doesn't click on it first.

We cannot get him to ignore those to save our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    My father in law is a very smart man. Retired engineer, senior VP with a Fortune 500 company, consultant for many years after retiring.

He consistently picks up the phone and calls those pop up things telling him that his computer screen is infected and he needs to call this number... If he doesn't click on it first.

We cannot get him to ignore those to save our lives.
    I have gotten my mom to where she just about won't click on anything without asking me, but there are sadly exceptions.

The scams are smart. The facebook scams are good too. They do them for advertisers by posting replies to the post with links to an account titled something like "Facebook Policy Violations" etc., so that even the email and link are facebook links and emails, but it's just a fake page they use to try to get you to the page to click on that next link that starts sucking your info.

The friend thing is just automated data mining. You reply or friend someone, then it can use AI/bots to reach out, try to form some connection and mine info.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

Not sure of the details. I was just talking to my buddy on the phone and the cops called him while we were talking, so it got cut short.

Someone stole his phone at the UK game the other night. He had a passcode and thumbprint ID on it. Somehow before the game was over, he had over $800 in charges in Nashville, by accessing his Samsung wallet.

Ouch. Even with passcode and thumbprint, that's kinda scary.

That is one reason I have no wallet type accounts on my phone at all. Well Google wallet comes with it, but it's not tied to anything. It holds my UK tickets before the game but that's it.

My laptop isn't a trusted device either. I have to do the two pass authentication every time, but that's OK.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Facebook Scammers

If CBBN doesn't trust multi factor authentication with his financial stuff, none of us should.

Rupp's Runt

Since they had the phone, apparently the bank called about the charges and the person that stole the phone verified the charges. He has a mess on his hands. Better him than me.

Rupp's Runt

If CBBN doesn't trust multi factor authentication with his financial stuff, none of us should.
    I think he trusts 2FA/MFA, it is about the best option we have these days. He doesn't do the trusted devices option. I do the same for most things.

Yep--I'm going to have to rethink the way I do business with my phone.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Geez how? There are 10,000 combinations of 4 digits 0-9, 10x10x10x10.

I think he trusts 2FA/MFA, it is about the best option we have these days. He doesn't do the trusted devices option. I do the same for most things.
    Sorry, just came off treadmill and guess I was too tired to think. I meant if he doesn't trust (other than) multi factor authentication...

I understood him. Just screwed up conveying it lol.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Geez how? There are 10,000 combinations of 4 digits 0-9, 10x10x10x10.
    Yep, they knew what they were doing. The charges were at clubs in Nashville. So I am guessing, someone stole the phone in Lexington, got his Samsung Wallet, and someone in Nashville cloned his card? I had just asked how they stole the phone when the cops called him back. I'll get the rest of the details later.

The funny part, I was explaining the importance of changing his password to something completely different. And I nearly guess his old password just by knowing him lol

Sorry, just came off treadmill and guess I was too tired to think. I meant if he doesn't trust (other than) multi factor authentication...

I understood him. Just screwed up conveying it lol.

Exactly. Two factor authentication is the best option we have available, but I don't make my phone or laptop a "trusted device", which forces the two factor authentication. That way if someone gets my phone or laptop they still have to get the second level of authentication.

The problem is if someone gets your phone, as in the case above, they get the texts etc. verifying charges. So if they get your phone and your credit card for example, they have control over your two factor authentication for the card use and can "verify" the charges.

What I am going to, based on this thread, is make sure my eset tracking on the phone is working, but also put a lock/self destruct on it so I can remote in and kill it if necessary. Maybe they need a "C4" option for phones where you can remote detonate.

Yep, they knew what they were doing. The charges were at clubs in Nashville. So I am guessing, someone stole the phone in Lexington, got his Samsung Wallet, and someone in Nashville cloned his card? I had just asked how they stole the phone when the cops called him back. I'll get the rest of the details later.

The funny part, I was explaining the importance of changing his password to something completely different. And I nearly guess his old password just by knowing him lol
    I'll be curious to hear the details. It's unreal how crafty hackers and thieves can be. If they put that much effort into an honest job they would be much farther ahead....