Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: One more road trip

One more road trip

My son plays his last soccer game tomorrow, a Conference Tournament championship game. It will conclude 20 years of organized soccer for him.

During that time, he has probably averaged 40 to 50 games a year. Beginning when he was about 8 years old, he began traveling and that's when I began putting miles on my car, renting cars, and leaving out of suitcases and hotels for tournaments and such.

He has always been a very good player, recruited beginning when he was about six playing up 2 years, and then moving to competitive where they competed in tournaments with players a year older than them. Two of his teammates are professional soccer players now, one MSL, two of them play for their countries National team, one played for Kentucky , one played for South Carolina, two played for Wake Forest, etc. For some of those teams he was one of the stars. For others of them, he took a back seat, even changing positions depending upon the personnel. He has always sacrificed for the good of the team.

This year has been a bittersweet year for him. He is one of seven 5th year players on his team (very unusual for D3 athletics, which generally has 4 years to play 4 and no redshirting). All of the guys are very close friends
    Three of them, including him, play the same position, center back . He has perhaps sacrificed more this season than any other by being the backup to the two starting center backs, both of whom made first team all conference this year and are really, really good. He worked so hard during the off season to improve his strength, stamina, and speed and did a really nice job of preparing for the season but has probably played the least amount he has played in his 5 years. Every other season one or both of the other center backs has become injured and thrust him into the starting position, but fortunately, they have both been very healthy this season.

His conference is in the second year of a two-year probationary period as a new conference split from a very large conference, and as a result, the tournament champion does not receive an automatic NCAA bid. It is pretty well accepted that their record, while pretty good, will not be good enough to receive an at large bid. So win or lose, tomorrow is it.

My cars and wallet will welcome the break. I suspect my son will not miss the 6:00 a.m. practices during the season where he practices for 2 hours and then goes to 8:00 a.m. class. Or the three a day practices they begin the season with that migrates to two a day in temperatures approaching 100° at the beginning of the season. Or even the long bus trips to South Texas and other places where he would miss weeks of school combined during the semester and have to make up school work.

But I will miss it so, so much.

Thanks to all of the great coaching he received and the great players who helped him along the way.

Good luck tomorrow, son. It has been a great, great ride. Thanks for letting me take that ride along with you.

Re: One more road trip

He’ll remember it forever, as will you Darrell, and now he gets to start a new chapter in his life.

Sometimes I look back and it’s like I’ve lived 3 different lives, each about 20 years long. I hope I get one another 20 but still envy young people like your son with the whole world ahead of them.

Got a little dusty down here in the Florida panhandle. Thanks for letting us enjoy the ride with you guys.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

I hope you print this out or have it saved somewhere besides this site.

Maybe “accidentally” leave it where he just happens to find it.

Fab Five

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    My son plays his last soccer game tomorrow, a Conference Tournament championship game. It will conclude 20 years of organized soccer for him.

During that time, he has probably averaged 40 to 50 games a year. Beginning when he was about 8 years old, he began traveling and that's when I began putting miles on my car, renting cars, and leaving out of suitcases and hotels for tournaments and such.

He has always been a very good player, recruited beginning when he was about six playing up 2 years, and then moving to competitive where they competed in tournaments with players a year older than them. Two of his teammates are professional soccer players now, one MSL, two of them play for their countries National team, one played for Kentucky , one played for South Carolina, two played for Wake Forest, etc. For some of those teams he was one of the stars. For others of them, he took a back seat, even changing positions depending upon the personnel. He has always sacrificed for the good of the team.

This year has been a bittersweet year for him. He is one of seven 5th year players on his team (very unusual for D3 athletics, which generally has 4 years to play 4 and no redshirting). All of the guys are very close friends
    Three of them, including him, play the same position, center back . He has perhaps sacrificed more this season than any other by being the backup to the two starting center backs, both of whom made first team all conference this year and are really, really good. He worked so hard during the off season to improve his strength, stamina, and speed and did a really nice job of preparing for the season but has probably played the least amount he has played in his 5 years. Every other season one or both of the other center backs has become injured and thrust him into the starting position, but fortunately, they have both been very healthy this season.

His conference is in the second year of a two-year probationary period as a new conference split from a very large conference, and as a result, the tournament champion does not receive an automatic NCAA bid. It is pretty well accepted that their record, while pretty good, will not be good enough to receive an at large bid. So win or lose, tomorrow is it.

My cars and wallet will welcome the break. I suspect my son will not miss the 6:00 a.m. practices during the season where he practices for 2 hours and then goes to 8:00 a.m. class. Or the three a day practices they begin the season with that migrates to two a day in temperatures approaching 100° at the beginning of the season. Or even the long bus trips to South Texas and other places where he would miss weeks of school combined during the semester and have to make up school work.

But I will miss it so, so much.

Thanks to all of the great coaching he received and the great players who helped him along the way.

Good luck tomorrow, son. It has been a great, great ride. Thanks for letting me take that ride along with you.
    Congratulations Dad! Nothing in life is more rewarding than watching your kids grow, develop and become successful adults. You have done that x5. Soccer and other activities are the glue on that journey that keeps the family involved with the child"s development. It's a bittersweet time. My younger one has been out of soccer for 16 years now. All I can tell you is it takes longer than that to fill the void. There isn"t much more that you can do. Grandkids are great, but with them you have to let someone else have the joy that you experienced. My best wishes to your son. May today be one of the happiest.
    Real Fan since 1958

One more road trip

Congratulations to both you and your son. You and Mrs Darrell obviously did a terrific job in raising your children, and both of you deserve to be very proud. Enjoy the rest of the ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blueboss; 11-04-2023 at 07:43 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Next it is time to start prepping for the grands.
    It may be longer road trips...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Thanks, all.

It went by so fast. Here's a little 90-second commemorative video I put together for him (ok, for me) Sunday night on my phone. I didn't have a whole lot of pics or video clips from games; just something quick that I wanted to do.

https://fb.watch/obs9n1PPJf/

Incredible video. Terrific