Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Recent work and some stories behind them

Recent work and some stories behind them

Golden Gate Bridge & Fort Point
    Standing on what’s known as Torpedo Wharf, I had my camera secured safely to my tripod hoping to catch a nice sunset behind the Golden Gate Bridge.
    The wharf where I stood, was built to aid in the construction of nearby Fort Point in 1854. Luckily, it’s been rebuilt several times since then, and became “Torpedo Wharf” when the U.S. Army constructed a submarine mine depot around 1907-1909. The Army used the wharf to plant underwater mines as part of the Golden Gate harbor defense and was last reinforced in 1941.
    It was early spring which means you must have your hat, coat and gloves if you plan to stand in this spot for more than 10 minutes. The sunset began casting its magical golden hue over the regal Golden Gate Bridge, as the cool wind brought both clouds from the Pacific Ocean along with whispered tales from ancient mariners still out to sea.
    As a landscape photographer, you have your “ideal” settings for a certain type of landscapes, and you have other settings you’re continually adjusting to see which image will become your favorite. With each adjustment of my camera, each click of the shutter became a deliberate stroke painting the visual canvas of the moments happening before me.
    The sun, retreating behind the horizon, kissed the bridge and clouds one last time, setting the sky ablaze with vibrant oranges, soft pinks, and royal purples. The bridge, bathed in this ethereal glow, emerged as a divine silhouette against the backdrop of the radiant sky and reflective waters.
    From the unique vantage point of Torpedo Wharf, I captured various angles, weaving a narrative of the bridge not merely as a structure but a living, breathing entity.
    As the colors faded into twilight, I packed up my gear and left with the anticipation I may have captured something special. Always with a heart full of gratitude, I made the drive back to the North Bay anxious to share what I had captured of the day’s hypnotizing sunset.
    GGB_FortPoint_TorpedoWharf.jpg
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

Re: Recent work and some stories behind them

Lassen Volcanic National Park, Manzanita Lake
    My 60th birthday was a significant milestone, marking both the passage of time and the continuation of my photography journey. Having spent 27 years in the US Coast Guard and then transitioning into a successful landscape photography career, my journey has been defined by discipline, adventure, and an unwavering passion for capturing the natural world.
    To celebrate this milestone, I was off to a national park I had never been—Lassen Volcanic National Park.
    I wanted to pay tribute to the natural wonders of Lassen. My hope was to not only capture the park's physical beauty but also the sense of wonder and adventure that had defined his life.
    As I photographed the park, I reflected on my own journey. Thinking about the years spent in the Coast Guard, my children and grandkids, my photography, along with the countless moments I’ve lived through. Turning 60 was not just a marker of age but also a celebration of a life well-lived.
    One of my favorite songs is “Like a Rock” by Bob Seger. The lyrics say,
    “20 years now, where'd they go?
    20 years, I don't know
    I sit, and I wonder sometimes
    Where they've gone?”
    It's been over 40 years for me now and I still sit and wonder where they've gone.
    As I look back on my 60th birthday adventure in Lassen Volcanic National Park, I have a profound sense of gratitude. A celebration of life, love, and the enduring joy of capturing the soul of a landscape through photography.
    As I continue to explore new horizons with my camera, I carry the memories of these special adventures in my heart. A testament to the enduring power of photography and the beauty of the wild places it could reveal.
    lassen.jpg

Burney Falls
    Celebrating my 60th birthday at Burney Falls was a dream come true. With my camera in hand, I captured the majestic 129-foot cascade, framed by a lush forest. The sun painted rainbows in the mist, a perfect shot for my collection.

Photography has been my passion for years. Each click of the shutter is a creative release. Burney Falls, a constant marvel fed by an underground spring, symbolized the passage of time, just like my 60 years.

The forest around the falls was teeming with life. Deer grazed in the distance, nature's guests at my celebration. The trail to the falls was a serene path through towering pines, a symphony of birdsong serenading my journey.

As the day waned, I paused to absorb the significance of turning 60. Life's ups and downs had shaped me. Burney Falls was not just a backdrop but a reminder of life's beauty and resilience.

I closed my eyes, listening to the falls and a family's laughter nearby. Life flowed like the river, each moment a fleeting stone forming the banks of existence.

The sun's descent bathed the falls in a warm glow. I couldn't resist capturing this magic, conveying my sense of wonder and gratitude.

With evening approaching, I returned to my cabin, set up a campfire, and reflected on the day. Age was just a number; my spirit remained youthful and eager for life's adventures.
    As I celebrated with a red velvet birthday cake under the starry sky, I wished for more moments of awe and connection with the universe. Nature's grandeur and the milestone blended beautifully.
    In my tent, the forest's gentle sounds lulled me to sleep.
    The next morning, I woke to deer at my back door asking for treats, ready to embrace a new day. Burney Falls had etched a cherished memory of my 60th birthday—a perfect blend of nature's beauty and my lifelong love of photography.
    burneyFalls.jpg

As I found myself winding through the roads of Yosemite National Park, there was a true excitement buzzing in the air with each twist and turn of the road. The stories I’d heard about the park’s majestic beauty seemed to slowly unveil themselves in the towering trees that lined the pathway.

Approaching the Tunnel View, also known as Wawona Tunnel, I could see the exit quickly approaching. My heartbeat quickened. I had anticipated this moment countless times, and as I parked and stepped out of the car, the world seemed to hold its breath. A short walk brought me face to face with the most awe-inspiring panorama; El Capitan loomed majestically to my left, a formidable guardian of the valley’s tales and secrets.

I stood there looking at the vast landscape of incomparable beauty unveiled itself. I suddenly felt very small, as if I was a child again taking my first steps in the world. The whispered rustle of the trees and the soft murmur of distant waterfalls filled the silence, connecting me to the wild and beautiful landscape before me. In the heart of this breathtaking theater of nature, time seemed to dissolve, leaving only the raw magnificence of the mountains, sky, and the reflective peace I suddenly felt within me.

Etching the breathtaking sights and sensations of El Capitan and the enchanting surroundings into my memory, I captured my first ever images of Yosemite. I felt the ghosts of past photographers helping to ensure I wasn’t forgetting anything in my camera. I left Tunnel View with a heart swelling with gratitude and awe, carrying the spirit of Yosemite’s timeless beauty with me.
    tunnelView-1.jpg

The day the Tree Swallows had enough of the quail calling for his mate on the other side of the road...the sun was shining bright on the left side of the trail and the male was looking for love. However, the Swallows were huddled together on the other side of trail, and one of them was pissed at the quail.....
    Quail call.jpgswallows.jpg

Rupp's Runt

Good pictures & stories, CGWildcat!
    MOLON LABE!

Coastie, you are becoming a master of using available light and shutter speed. I admire the work you shared here
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Wow Roger. All I can say. I simply cannot imagine that Golden Gate capture not winning some type of award. The complexity of the image and color capture is amazing.

Great stuff

399372929_10229876120840913_2978628739592789839_n.jpg399201576_10229875988597607_1667223736629402110_n.jpg399205826_10229875988757611_5742726207588932332_n.jpg

Mendocino Headlands in Northern California. It was getting toward sunset. I stood on the bluff for 5 minutes watching the waves and those rocks. No wave came near them, though I could tell it was wet down there. It was my last night there and I was going for it. It took another 5 minutes to get down to the rocks you see.
    W my muck boots on and waterprrof pants over my jeans I felt like I was good. Another 3-4 minutes to set up my tripod, take a few shots and see what I could get. Then, I heard it. That deep roar of the ocean, sounding like a sonic boom below me. I looked up and simply froze. I couldn't move seeing the wall of white water approaching me. I kept my finger on the shutter, simply so my loved ones, (and this board) would know what happened.
    The wave knocked me back, while feeling the instant cold of the Pacific ocean. Luckily, I didn't lose my footing, but I knew it was time to head back up. The weather sealing on the Sony a7RV seems to have worked, though there are crevices on the camera I'm still working to get ocean salt out of.

Having grown up back East I'm very familiar with the colors of Fall and would always look forward to that time of year. The different trees showcasing their colors for all the world to see are memories of Sunday afternoon drives with my family. Now, here in California's original wine country, Sonoma County has its very own way of showing off its Fall colors.

You could say we're surrounded by vineyards, and that's not a bad thing at all. Especially when it's time to harvest the years bounty of grapes, referred to as "The Crush." There's a lot of science that goes into just the right time to cut the cluster of grapes, usually by hand, from the vines and luckily I was able to capture some images of very vibrant, wine country's Fall colors.

I would often drive by certain vineyards and you start to see their colors from your car. Knowing very early mornings, actually what most refer to as the middle of the night, workers will begin their harvest, I was excited to see this field had not been sent to "crush" just yet. I grabbed my camera and was presented these beautiful wine country colors of Fall.

240714816_10224818732449364_573995145085838449_n.jpg

Wow. Those are spectacular!

Quote Originally Posted by CGWildcat View Post
    Having grown up back East I'm very familiar with the colors of Fall and would always look forward to that time of year. The different trees showcasing their colors for all the world to see are memories of Sunday afternoon drives with my family. Now, here in California's original wine country, Sonoma County has its very own way of showing off its Fall colors.

You could say we're surrounded by vineyards, and that's not a bad thing at all. Especially when it's time to harvest the years bounty of grapes, referred to as "The Crush." There's a lot of science that goes into just the right time to cut the cluster of grapes, usually by hand, from the vines and luckily I was able to capture some images of very vibrant, wine country's Fall colors.

I would often drive by certain vineyards and you start to see their colors from your car. Knowing very early mornings, actually what most refer to as the middle of the night, workers will begin their harvest, I was excited to see this field had not been sent to "crush" just yet. I grabbed my camera and was presented these beautiful wine country colors of Fall.

240714816_10224818732449364_573995145085838449_n.jpg
    Holy Cow.
    The saturation and and contrast, depth of field...everything.
    Simply beautiful.
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Capturing the "end of his song" one late afternoon as the temperatures dropped. redwing blackbird breath230207.jpg

Ya wanna bite? There's lots more down here. I'll get ya one if ya want......
    seal w octopus231105.jpg

25% off all my prints this week through next Monday the 27th!
    https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com