Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Watching a Michael Jackson video -- what celeb death shocked you most?

Watching a Michael Jackson video -- what celeb death shocked you most?

There have been many, many over the years, of course. Way back to Patsy Cline or Elvis Presley. Michael Jackson. Heath Ledger. Kobe Bryant. You name it, we've seen tons of them.

Which one(s) shocked you the most?

I'm trying to think -- who is the most recent one? Kobe Bryant died 3 years ago. What shocking celeb deaths have happened since then?

For me, Elvis Presley was the first one that I can remember that really shook me. Seemed unreal. Princess Diana was another one that seemed unreal.

If there's some huge celebrity shocking death tomorrow, I'm going to think that I had some premonition, but really, it was just the Michael Jackson video I was watching that made me think of it.

Rupp's Runt

Paul Walker and Kobe were two big ones for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the time, and where I was in my life at that time, John Lennon.

Edit: I might also add, much later, Ali.

Last edited by blueboss; 09-13-2023 at 10:42 PM.
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Watching a Michael Jackson video -- what celeb death shocked you most?

Betty White for me at 17 days shy of 100. Shocking. Bob Barker gets honorable mention at 99 2/3.

John Lennon.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

JFK’s death still affects me to this day. I was glued to the news of that time and his funeral and felt a special empathy with his children.
    My fear of losing my parents prematurely never quite went away and was extreme as a child during that period with nightmares and all.
    I recall negotiating with God on how long they might live and was pleased with the year 2000 being the goal.

Nothing has come close since. That was a complete and life altering shock to me as a kid.

“Before I leave I’d like to see our politics begin to return to the purposes and practices that distinguish our history from the history of other nations,
    “I would like to see us recover our sense that we are more alike than different. We are citizens of a republic made of shared ideals forged in a new world to replace the tribal enmities that tormented the old one. Even in times of political turmoil such as these, we share that awesome heritage and the responsibility to embrace it.”
    -Patriot and Senator. John McCain

Not a Celeb Death, the both of the Space Shuttles were unexpected...

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    That counts in what I'm thinking about, too. Just a jarring, shocking public death. Something different than a personal loss.

Fab Five

John F Kennedy

I was home from school watching TV by myself, when they interrupted the show I was watching to break the news. It was Stunning to watch the reports live.
    Real Fan since 1958

I did my best to limit it to one, and just could not do it.

I watched the Challenger blow up live on TV, and remember siting in my chair watching the individual smoking remains fall out out of the sky trying to figure out which large chunks contained the astronauts and waited for the parachutes to pop out to afford them a soft landing, and that never happened. I had watched most of the rocket launches, and return splashdowns, live starting with Walter Cronkite giving us the details sometimes in the middle of the night which was weird as our TV did not play anything other than a test pattern after midnight, but Walter could make it show us the rocket launch, and I never dreamed that any of them could fail.

Loss of president Kennedy. My grade school class had just returned to the classroom from lunch when an announcement came over our intercom system announcing that President Kennedy had been shot in Texas. 5th grade teacher turned on the black and white TV that was suspended from the wall above her desk, and she told us to watch history being made. Students watched and listened until they announced that the president was dead. Mrs Jennings, our teacher, sat down and began crying at her desk. Her bawling her eyes out affected me more than knowing the president was dead.
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 09-15-2023 at 10:00 AM.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    Betty White for me at 17 days shy of 100. Shocking. Bob Barker gets honorable mention at 99 2/3.
    She died? I must have missed that one.

Keith Richards.

Seriously, Jacko is probably the most shocking. Came same day as Farrah Faucett so was a double whammy. Freddie Mercury was another. Third would be Stevie Ray Vaughn.
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

Elvis has to be on the list. He was on tour at the time and the next show was in lexington. I had tickets. Big Elvis fan as a kid. I think mom turned the tickets back in for the refund, I wish she had kept them. They aren't really valuable, just for the memory. We had just moved to Lexington.

That's not the only one, but definitely one of them.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    That counts in what I'm thinking about, too. Just a jarring, shocking public death. Something different than a personal loss.
    For the first space shuttle death I was working at Allied Sporting Goods that morning and we had it on the TV in the Store. The Launches had become somewhat ho-hum at that point so mostly just background noise...until it wasn't . I recall the Telemetry data and announcer continuing as if nothing was wrong until they realized something was wrong.

For the first space shuttle death I was working at Allied Sporting Goods that morning and we had it on the TV in the Store. The Launches had become somewhat ho-hum at that point so mostly just background noise...until it wasn't . I recall the Telemetry data and announcer continuing as if nothing was wrong until they realized something was wrong.
    I was driving on New Circle Road........
    Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.--David Bowie.

The first one really hit me hard.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire