Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Need Big Easy info On the Fly

Need Big Easy info On the Fly

My daughter is an event coordinator and has a conference to plan in New Orleans… while she has all the info and places scheduled for her conference, what would be a really nice place get away from touristy stuff eat an extraordinary meal and hear some authentic real deal bluesy NO jazz? For just her and a couple of her team members… kind of a job well done reward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Re: Need Big Easy info On the Fly

There are others much more qualified to make any suggestions, but if they are in a mind for some crawfish etouffee, Olde Nola Cookery on Bourbon Street.
    Muriels was very nice as well. On Jackson Square but they are both kind of in the heart of touristy stuff. But dang good food...
    One of the hardest things in life is having words in your heart that you can't utter.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluePappy View Post
    There are others much more qualified to make any suggestions, but if they are in a mind for some crawfish etouffee, Olde Nola Cookery on Bourbon Street.
    Muriels was very nice as well. On Jackson Square but they are both kind of in the heart of touristy stuff. But dang good food...
    Thank you. She’s wheels up tomorrow afternoon out of Denver.

"I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I wouldn't worry about touristy. New Orleans touristy isn't like Gatlinburg or something to be avoided by locals, they'll embrace it too. I mean, you probably don't want to go to the piano Bar at Pat O'Briens, but even then would be good.

Some alternatives that will be a bit different, though...try morning/afternoon...

Treat everyone to breakfast at Brennan's with a nice boozy brunch. Pretty sure they'd have jazz playing.

Court of Two Sisters has daily jazz brunches. Especially during the week that would be a great place, too. Some outstanding dishes at both places and not at all a tourist experience, IMO.

I'm not a big music guy, and when I lived there I ate and drank for entertainment. No shortage of those places. But here goes my attempt at it.

Of course, Preservation Hall is touristy but I'd make sure I went there anyway once, but maybe not your first choice because of the tourist factor. You rotate in and out there after staying in line. Seemed like it was only like 20 minutes inside, too. Maybe longer, or maybe longer now, I don't know and my memory may be faulty. Anyway, probably not what you're looking for.

Here's a list of 15 great jazz places. Been a long time, but in addition to Preservation Hall, I can personally recommend Snug Harbor, Maple Leaf, Bayou Bar at the Pontchartrain Hotel (get their Mile High Pie if they visit - mandatory), which was around the corner from where I lived on St. Mary Street in the lower garden district, and Tipitinas. Some of the other ones on the list sound great, just haven't been to them.

https://www.timeout.com/new-orleans/...in-new-orleans

I second Darrell's suggestion of Court of Two Sisters jazz brunch. The outside courtyard is great.

https://www.courtoftwosisters.com/
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

If it's not too late--couple of articles for reading about the experiences:

Breakfast at Brennan's

Court of Two Sisters Brunch

Sinatra and Capone hung out at the Bayou Bar at the Pontchartrain Hotel, and the New Orleans Saints football franchise was christened there. It's also out of the French Quarter, and they invented the Mile High Pie. If you like a "speak-easy" type vibe, or sitting around a Steinway piano playing, that's the place. Technically their restaurant is called the Caribbean Room, but you can order the Pie at the Bar too.

Story on the invention of the Mile High Pie

Thanks guys, I’ve passed along all suggestions. She’s currently in the air, I’m curious to here what she has to say when she has time to view them.

She tells me they are going to Sinners and Saints tonight…

Quote Originally Posted by blueboss View Post
    She tells me they are going to Sinners and Saints tonight…

Has she called in sick for tomorrow in advance?
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Fab Five

I highly recommend Gris Gris

Since opening in 2018, Gris-Gris has been named New Orleans’ best new neighborhood restaurant by featuring refined, Southern cuisine, and local favorites in a casual and comfortable atmosphere. Gris-Gris has been named Eater New Orleans’ Reader’s Choice for both 2018 Restaurant of the Year and Chef of the Year, New Orleans City Business’ 2018 Restaurant of the Year, New Orleans Magazine Best Restaurants of 2019 and TimeOut.com Best New Orleans Restaurants 2019 as well as Gambit and New Orleans Magazine's "Best Balcony", "Best Happy Hour", and "Best Brunch".

Restaurand is located at 1800 Magazine St. in the Lower Garden District near the Convention Center.
    Last edited by MickintheHam; 08-18-2023 at 09:30 AM.
    Real Fan since 1958

Thanks^^

Anybody know anything about Peche, on Magazine Street?

I do not. Know the tourist things like in the Quarter, Bourbon Street, etc. and some old longstanding ones from back in the day, but there are hundreds of great places. And that's not an exaggeration.

Fab Five

Thanks^^

Anybody know anything about Peche, on Magazine Street?

Peche along with Gris Gris is in the trendy Lower Garden District, a neighborhood rescued from blight and is very popular. Other than being a good Seafood restaurant I don't know anything. I think all of that section of town appeals to a lot of women and a younger crowd. Very good entertainment and food there.
    Real Fan since 1958

Thanks for all the info guys, she didn’t have a whole lot of time around her work schedule to be able to take a lot in… anyway she’s went wheels up about an hour ago in her way back to Denver. She did say

“I wish I had extended a day, I love this dirty, music town!”

My son was born in NOLA. That was 1988. Lived there from 86-89. Absolutely love that city, at least as I remember it. Sure many things have changed since then. My next door neighbor at the time was Tony Elliott (no relation) he was a DL for the Saints, and was about 6'2" 300 pounds. About a week after my son was born, he and his wife knocked on our door. Tony said, "Heard you had a baby boy, got this for him." He handed me an autographed FBall from the Saints team. He still has it.
    My Etsy Shop; https://rogerelliottphotos.etsy.com

Was in NO last January. It has changed. I stayed at the Hotel Monteleone and I can say it was the most unsafe I had seen the city. Panhandlers got aggressive when you were not willing to throw something in the pot. I have always felt safe on Bourbon Street and just off over by river=walk at those shops. Hotel was telling all of us not go be alone. Warehouse district has a LOT of crime now.

Saying that, I echo Dickie Brennans. Love the place. Another place we found that was a surprise we really liked was Kingfish. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...Louisiana.html

Funny story. I sued the owner of the Hotel Monteleone when I was in law school in New Orleans. He ran a stop sign and hit my car between St Mary's Street and Jackson Avenue, close to Commander's Palace and where I lived. I had the sheriff serve him at the hotel. To say he was pissed was an understatement. He had agreed to pay me a certain amount and weeks went by without paying, and then he started ducking my phone calls.

I got paid.

Edit. It is possible it was the General manager, rather than owner. But I've told the story so many times it may have migrated to owner. Give me this leeway, will you?

So the way I read that Darrell had Conrad Hilton served in a lawsuit and turned him into a quivering bowl of jelly.

Go big or go home.

Actually i would have enjoyed watching that, a law school student with that moxy.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Funny story. I sued the owner of the Hotel Monteleone when I was in law school in New Orleans. He ran a stop sign and hit my car between St Mary's Street and Jackson Avenue, close to Commander's Palace and where I lived. I had the sheriff serve him at the hotel. To say he was pissed was an understatement. He had agreed to pay me a certain amount and weeks went by without paying, and then he started ducking my phone calls.

I got paid.

Edit. It is possible it was the General manager, rather than owner. But I've told the story so many times it may have migrated to owner. Give me this leeway, will you?
    I hope you don’t get sued for defamation. Let me know if you do, I got a guy.

Lol. I need you to handle my PR.

Just young and stupid. Probably helped that I was dating the girl that I married later and probably wanted to show off.

I hope you don’t get sued for defamation. Let me know if you do, I got a guy.

I stay judgment proof, no worries!