Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryobi

Rupp's Runt

Ryobi

Any have any cordless Ryobi products? Are you happy with them?

I'm a Dewalt guy with several tools and batteries. But Ryobi makes a portable misting fan made for a bucket I'd like to get for our travel tournaments. Dewalt does not make one.

Re: Ryobi

Like you I am a Dewalt guy. When the battery powered craze started I already owned several corded Dewalt tools and was and am happy with them, so it was natural for me to go that route when switching to the battery powered tools. I have come to realize that I was not buying a tool line, but I was buying a battery line. In some cases companies almost give the tools away to sell you the batteries.

My son in law started out buying Ryobi as the tools and batteries were cheaper than Dewalt, Milwaukee, and Makita and he now has several tools and a bushel basket of batteries he got when buying the tools. He likes that brand just fine.

Personally I think they are fine for light work, but if I want to buy and use an impact drill, it will not be a Ryobi, regardless of battery.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

I have a Ryobi cordless drill and hedge trimmers. I had a Ryobi cordless string trimmer and sold it when I stopped doing my own mowing. I used them for light work around the house, so I can't vouch for them for heavy use. But I like them fine--they're reliable and light to use. I've had them for years and they're still doing great.
    U really think players are going to duke without being paid over Kentucky?--Gilbert Arenas, 9/12/19

Rupp's Runt

I just now ordered it. I'm sure it will do what I want it to do. I guess time will tell if it was a good buy or not.

I could get a battery adapter, but I'm not real comfortable with those since most are 3rd party and probably Chinese made.

Ryobi

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
    Like you I am a Dewalt guy. When the battery powered craze started I already owned several corded Dewalt tools and was and am happy with them, so it was natural for me to go that route when switching to the battery powered tools. I have come to realize that I was not buying a tool line, but I was buying a battery line. In some cases companies almost give the tools away to sell you the batteries.

My son in law started out buying Ryobi as the tools and batteries were cheaper than Dewalt, Milwaukee, and Makita and he now has several tools and a bushel basket of batteries he got when buying the tools. He likes that brand just fine.

Personally I think they are fine for light work, but if I want to buy and use an impact drill, it will not be a Ryobi, regardless of battery.
    Seems similar to the home computer printer industry. They'd give away the printers so you would be invested in their ink!

That is spot on Darrell. However you can sorta game that system by buying refill ink or buying knock off cartridges, but do not buy knock off batteries unless you need a fire starter.
    seeya
    dan

Ryobi

I’ve got a Ryobi battery powered drill I’ve used around the house for the last five years. It works just fine for piddling around…. I’m not sure I’d want to build a deck with it, but if was to build a deck I’d kill it trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

I’ve never tried Ryobi but I’ve had Stihls and Makitas. When it was time to build a backyard play set for my son 18 or 19 years ago I went a bought and corded Dewalt. That was the only way those lag bolts were going anywhere. Still have it.
    changing my signature to change our luck.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Any have any cordless Ryobi products? Are you happy with them?

I'm a Dewalt guy with several tools and batteries. But Ryobi makes a portable misting fan made for a bucket I'd like to get for our travel tournaments. Dewalt does not make one.
    I do. I did not know I could only buy replacement batteries at Home Depot. They work great but HD is your only option to add on or replace

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    I do. I did not know I could only buy replacement batteries at Home Depot. They work great but HD is your only option to add on or replace
    Ah didn't realize that. So I guess it is like their version of Kobalt for Lowe's?

I bought the smaller one with a 1.5 amp battery. I'll try it and see how long it last and how much water I go through on the 1.5 amp. If needed, I will probably buy a knock off from Amazon. I've had good luck with some knock off Dewalt batteries. I can't see me ever buying another Ryobi product. At least I hope not lol. I wouldn't be buying this if it wasn't for the girls.

Ryobi

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaCat View Post
    Wow, did not know that either. I mean, Home Depot is convenient enough, I guess.

I have one Ryobi cordless drill. No idea where the battery or charger is. No idea when I have used it, I don't recall ever doing so. No idea how I got it. Might've been borrowed and I forgot to return. It's a cool looking sorta psychedelic green color.

Ryobi

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
    Wow, did not know that either. I mean, Home Depot is convenient enough, I guess.

I have one Ryobi cordless drill. No idea where the battery or charger is. No idea when I have used it, I don't recall ever doing so. No idea how I got it. Might've been borrowed and I forgot to return. It's a cool looking sorta psychedelic green color.
    I’ve got a Ryobi charger with a battery, it too, is cool looking psychedelic green color… please return my drill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I have touched all the so-called capitals of basketball, but when it gets down to the short stroke, the only true capital of basketball is in Lexington." AL McGuire

Rupp's Runt

I have a DeWalt cordless drill with all of the bits and a spare battery. All of the rest of my tools are manual tools. Well, the ones I have left available because my son has borrowed, and somehow lost them. Or they went wherever the hell tools go to get lost from their owner.

We have an EGO lawnmower, edger and weed eater for the yard. They have been fantastic and very easy to use. Thank goodness my yard isn't that big.
    MOLON LABE!

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
    We have an EGO lawnmower, edger and weed eater for the yard. They have been fantastic and very easy to use. Thank goodness my yard isn't that big.
    I have a good sized yard but have a small area that I have to push mow. My next push mower will be electric.

Rupp's Runt

I have a good sized yard but have a small area that I have to push mow. My next push mower will be electric.
    You won't be sorry. They're quiet, easy to operate, not nearly as heavy as gas operated mowers. Mine is even self-propelled.
    MOLON LABE!

I got one at Lowe’s three years ago and it works just as well as gas powered. If you get one and have a good sized yard make sure you get two batteries though. Mine will run for about 45 minutes then I have to swap them out.

Ryobi

My daughter has a very small front yard and even smaller backyard. Her twin brother got her a battery powered lawn mower as a housewarming gift. Must have been a very small battery, because she says she can only go about 20 minutes with one battery before the other battery needs to be used. She has plenty to mow either the front yard or the backyard, but not enough for both. I told her to buy one extra battery and she should be good to go. I think it only takes like an hour to charge up a battery, so if she takes breaks, she could mow indefinitely with just another battery.

I have a really crappy yard, but it is a big backyard and a regular size front yard. About 6 years ago I got sick and tired of spilling gas and having my car smell like gasoline, replacing spark plugs, having carburetor spelled, etc. so I bought an electric lawn mower, but not a battery operated one. I have the hang of using it- you have to start near the house and work out in long straight lines, and then take your time when you make the turn. It's okay, but I am so ready for a battery powered lawn mower. I said I would get one when this one goes bad, but I'm beginning to think they'd never go bad.

And don’t leave the batteries in the charger either. After our first year with the batteries I discovered one of them had been left in the charger all winter and it was dead as a doorknob. And they aren’t cheap.

Rupp's Runt

Quote Originally Posted by Catfan73 View Post
    I got one at Lowe’s three years ago and it works just as well as gas powered. If you get one and have a good sized yard make sure you get two batteries though. Mine will run for about 45 minutes then I have to swap them out.
    Thankfully DeWalt makes a push mower and I only push mow for about 15 minutes. I kind of keep hoping my gas one will die sooner than later. My luck, it will run another 10 years

Rupp's Runt

Oh, I also ordered two generic batteries today. Hopefully they work as well as my Dewalt one has. Debated on one bigger battery, but wasn't sure the extra weight hanging off the back of the bucket would be a good idea for balance.

Rupp's Runt

Got the fan in and tried it out last night. Girls loved it and it worked well. Practice went about 2 hours. The 1.5 amp battery lasted the entire practice and I'm guessing it goes thru about 1 gallon of water per hour. I had the fan on high and water pump on low. On low it puts out plenty of water. High would probably get them soaked which wouldn't really help. The generic batteries seemed to work well on a brief a test.

Side note: 2nd tournament in a row canceled because of lack of teams in 8U......

Rupp's Runt

First 8U tournament in a while tomorrow. Last 3 attempts have been canceled. Going to be a hot one....

Girls wanted to know if I was bringing the fan. I said "yes, but I am only going to run it when we are ahead". They didn't appreciate that lol

Hard taskmaster you are
    seeya
    dan

Rupp's Runt

First game, they gave up 3 in the top of the 1st. Came in and scored 8 in the bottom of the 1st. One girl looked at me and said turn on the fan lol

seeya
    dan

I use Makita. Drills, hand held air compressor, pole chainsaw, string trimmer. And an ego mower for my tiny yard—I get my yard mowed twice per charge.

I have a bunch of Ryobi cordless tools and love them. I built a large deck for my daughter and used the hammer drill for it and for several other projects and it worked great. I have a half inch impact tool that has unbelievable torque for a cordless tool. It will wring bolts if you keep hammering on them. I also have a Ryobi grinder, drill, saw, reciprocating saw, portable air compressor, a little hand held light that is the best light ever and several batteries and chargers and they all work fine. I also have a Dewalt drill that I have had for several years that has been good.

Wife has Ryobi, and they work fine. I prefer Dewalt myself. I find them to be more rugged, smoother motors. I have a B&D set that is nothing nice but gets the job done around the house OK. Wouldn't want to build a house with them but they're fine for basic work.

I will say I really hate these new impact drivers with no variable speed versus a drill driver. Obviously meant for 2 different things, but I can use a variable speed drill for just about anything, whereas an impact driver will over torque screws in a heartbeat. They just get mis-used for that purpose b/c they are there and handy, it's not their fault, but I find a lot of people have one of those instead of the variable speed tool they really need.

I'll stick to my var speed drill/driver that has an impact setting if I really need that feature. If it's that bad I'll plug in and use a real impact drill which will get the job done much faster.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Citizen, I use the impact wrench strictly for mechanic work, I have an air compressor with air impact wrenches, but I use the battery powered one way more than the others. It's just so handy. I carry it in my truck in case of a flat. It makes quick work of a tire changing job.

You folks waiting the the gasoline mower to die brought back memories of my Dear Grandmother.

When I was a young lad she had an ice box, and her children got tired of visiting her and always binging blocks of ice with them so they bought her a refrigerator. It had all the bells and whistles for the time, separate freezer compartment on top, and it even had a light bulb in the bottom compartment. I remember that it was a General Electric. Grandma was divorced and was very frugal as she had survived an alcoholic bootlegger husband, the great depression, and world war II with all of it's rationing, so she babied the GE like it was her first child. After it turned about 30 years old my Aunts, every time they visited Grandma, started eying it like a flock of buzzards waiting for it to die. It became a topic of conversation at every family gathering at the holidays. Mumble, mumble, you'd think that damn thing would have the decency to die wouldn't you?

Grandma would not hear of replacing it as it worked perfectly and the only trouble it ever gave her was the 2 times she had to replace the light bulb. That damn GE out lived my Grandmother, and a neighbor of hers bought it to put in their milk parlor to keep medicines and beer in. Grandma passed about 30 years ago. I talked to her neighbors son, who inherited the farm and the refrigerator couple years ago, and he said it was still running like a top, but he did have to replace the bulb every 10 years or so.

Good luck on getting the gas mower to die.
    seeya
    dan