Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Swapping out a laptop screen???

Swapping out a laptop screen???

Ok, scenario and background.

I have built PC's for a lot of years. My son's first PC was one we build together when he was 6 years old from parts I purchased from NewEgg... But that is a PC in a pretty big box...

Laptops intimidate me. Everything is so squished together. But it is relatively new.

Purchased for wife from Costco in Nov 2020. Warranty lasted till Nov 2022. In April 2023 the Screen has very large dead pixals in upper left hand corner. Basically 2 the size of quarters connected by lines of dead pixels. Looks like the screen was closed on a solid object but it actually was open and they just appeared....

So, has anyone swapped a laptop screen. I have mini screwdirive kits and have swapped hard drives on a laptop. Even an internal battery. But not a screen.

Re: Swapping out a laptop screen???

My son has done many. They're pretty easy, according to him, 20 minutes. I figure you should double that time, call it 45 minutes to an hour, but they're not hard to do*.

* For you, and for my son. For me, replacing batteries in my TV remote is a difficult task.

Time depends on the laptop. My tech guy just did my Dell M6600 for me one day while he was at the office. Took hours, but first divide that in half as he was swapping from another unit and second it was due to the design. Most are quicker than that, this one you have to take a lot off to get to the part we needed swapped.

Just swapped graphics card in it too. About 3 hours start to finish but that included cleaning everything, re-pasting everything with thermal paste, etc. including CPU and graphics card.

They're the same as big computers, just as you said more compressed, so more tedious. The connectors are tiny, wires are tiny, more of those awful ribbon cables with no connector end.

But if you've built PCs a laptop will be no issue, just smaller and slower. Get on Youtube, there's a video for every model out there and be ready for lots of screw holders. lol. I think for my work on mine I had 15.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
    Time depends on the laptop. My tech guy just did my Dell M6600 for me one day while he was at the office. Took hours, but first divide that in half as he was swapping from another unit and second it was due to the design. Most are quicker than that, this one you have to take a lot off to get to the part we needed swapped.

Just swapped graphics card in it too. About 3 hours start to finish but that included cleaning everything, re-pasting everything with thermal paste, etc. including CPU and graphics card.

They're the same as big computers, just as you said more compressed, so more tedious. The connectors are tiny, wires are tiny, more of those awful ribbon cables with no connector end.

But if you've built PCs a laptop will be no issue, just smaller and slower. Get on Youtube, there's a video for every model out there and be ready for lots of screw holders. lol. I think for my work on mine I had 15.
    Chuck, other than laptop screwdriver set did you need any special tools? 2 sided tape? razor?