Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

Thread: Want a Ford F150 EV?

Want a Ford F150 EV?

Are you intending to carry moderate loads in the bed and carry them for normal distances?

Well, you might want to consider this

Just remember the government is here to help, and they never lie to you
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.

Re: Want a Ford F150 EV?

It's not just the range, but the range plus the delay to extend that range. My car goes 400 miles, then I refuel in 10 minutes tops and I go another 400. This one you could be looking at hours or a day.

You can go spend a few trillion and get enough fast charge stations set up with a huge amount of investment, but even with a 440v fast charge, which is all new wiring and stations every 200 miles minimum, you are still looking at 1.5 to 2 hours.

So you are going from Lexington to Miami. It's 15.5 hours, 1,042 miles. Stopping every 300 miles (that is not loaded), that's at least 5-7 more hours, or say 6-8 hours with some luggage, etc. and so on. So now your long all day 16 hour drive is a 22-26 hour 2 day trip with a hotel. So instead of one long day you are looking at two full days.

But look at going to Atlanta from here. Easy 6 hour trip. 380 miles. Usually you do a stop on the way, gas up and get food, etc., 15-20 minutes. With this you get to stop for another 1.5-2 hours MINIMUM.

At 220v btw it's 14-19 hours, which means you literally cannot get there from here in that vehicle without a fast charge station, and even if you do you are turning a 6 hour trip into an 8 hour trip with 2 hours of hanging out somewhere.

There's a huge battle going on as to who controls this infrastructure fwiw, I've read a couple of good stories on it, and part of their motivation is that now travelers aren't just stopping and getting a soda or a burger, but will be forced to hang out for hours potentially in a location while their vehicle charges. What a captive audience.

Now you can go with a shorter sub 100% charge of course, and then do it again when you get to Atlanta. Then again while there, then again some more on the way back, etc. Your hotel won't have those stations for a long time, forget your airbnb.

we just lack the infrastructure and the range/design/tech to make this workable for the average user. For some it will work fine, but not for those who drive any real distances.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

Truck EVs are not replacement for trucks. They are for people that need a car, but want a truck, and probably drink Bud Light.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
    Truck EVs are not replacement for trucks. They are for people that need a car, but want a truck, and probably drink Bud Light.
    That's OK. Car EVs arent' replacements for cars. They're more like roomy replacements for scooters.

Seriously I could use an electric car MOST days. If it's just to and from work, or around town, and it charged all night, it would be workable. Still not necessarily "Green" in any way, but workable as a technology in my life.

But when I go all over the state as I sometimes do, or if it's winter or summer and power goes out at my house for a day or so, then I have real problems.

So it's workable as a second vehicle, but so is a convertible. I would still need a "real" car for more serious needs.
    People keep asking if I'm back and I haven't really had an answer. But now, yeah, I'm thinkin' I'm back.

Rupp's Runt

Despite my comments. I actually want an EV, but it would probably be a Tesla unless someone comes out with a lightweight truck version. I could really use a bed some days. I don't have a need to "haul" anything as we have some farm trucks for that. But having my own bed handy without going over to dad's to get a truck would be really nice.

My issue is I drive 30 minutes one way to work. Sometimes 10 minutes across town at lunch. Sometimes 60 minutes home if I have to pick up the kids. An EV will certainly do that, but I would have to pay attention to the charging and not forget. With my daily commute, I'll probably never have the truck I want, so I'll likely stick to my compact car and eat up the miles on it and the next one.

That said...I've requested a stipend for a car/truck at work. If I get one, I may very well consider a Tesla or a Ford Maverick (more likely). Main reason for the Tesla is not having to stop at gas stations at work, and there is not a safe one between work and home. So, if I could avoid gas stations in Hoptown, that is very intriguing to me.
    Last edited by KentuckyWildcat; 06-09-2023 at 03:38 PM.

If the only travel I needed to do was to visit the local grocery store and the pharmacy, then I would sell both our vehicles and get an all weather ev golf cart and put a 1500 watt electric heater in it for the short trip we need to make in the cold months. I would use a cab or uber/lyft for trips to the doctor or the hospital. I could rent something for vacation trips or visiting my brother who lives 35 miles away. I would let the rental company worry about the kilowatts for the short trips and rent a gas guzzler for the vacation jaunts to the mountains or the beach.
    Last edited by dan_bgblue; 06-10-2023 at 12:51 PM.
    seeya
    dan

I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.